Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 09-24-2019, 11:15 AM   #1
baileybikes

La Jolla Launch

Quick question about the boat launch.

I got a bunch of crap from some lady from one of the kayak tour companies about "blocking the launch". I had a bunch of water in my hull and had to drain it with the bow elevated so while I was there longer than expected, I was present and ready to move if an emergency arose.

I took offense to a commercial company giving private kayakers crap for using a public launch that is ALWAYS semi-blocked by them.

Just curious if anyone else has experienced that or if she was just having a bad day.
baileybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 11:24 AM   #2
Hunters Pa

I would completely stop what I was doing and politely listen until she was finished with her tirade. When she was done I would ask if she was finished and if I could go back to trying to get my stuff situated so I may leave and get on with my day.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 12:17 PM   #3
baileybikes

Oh i was polite and explained my situation and asked her what else I should do other than wait for it to drain.

She went on about being more mindful of the big picture so i just said, "thanks and sorry - will try not to take on water next time - because I do love taking on water.".
Old 09-24-2019, 12:32 PM   #4
NICKWORN

Pound Sand

I would of politely told her to pound sand, unless she was that hottie who is always wearing a thong.
NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:24 PM   #5
baileybikes

If it were her, i would have written sand on my weep and then tell her to pound sand.
Old 09-24-2019, 03:31 PM   #6
Ggiannig89

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileybikes View Post
If it were her, i would have written sand on my weep and then tell her to pound sand.
Lol
Ggiannig89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 04:30 PM   #7
FISH11

Talking

Those kayak rental companies pay the Dumb Ass city of San Diego thousands per year to have a permit to use that area and the City created the specific areas. The city Life Guards are in charge of policing the beach and launch area and yes they can issue tickets. I'm not saying you did anything wrong, but I wasn't there to see the situation. I use that launch at least once a week and see every time people who don't pay attention to the sign at the entrance to the launch. It spells out what areas are for what and the direction of traffic. The Kayak companies are not permitted to leave all there kayaks on the beach, so they have to constantly pick up or drop off kayaks for the groups that they schedule. Great, that summer is over because now the traffic at the launch is just a fraction than in the middle of summer. What makes it more difficult is during high tide there is very little beach area and hard to pull a car/truck in there and not be blocking the ROAD as you would call the area directly around the concrete barriers. It is also worse when the Life Guards don't make the people who decide to sit on the sand or swim in what is essentially a BOAT RAMP. Yesterday the Dumb Ass city crews that rake up the beach of kelp, etc. for all the tourist, did not pick up the large sand/kelp mounds thus taking out of use 1/2 the beach launch area. If people just think that others will have to pass (Life Guards) or kayak rental trucks there would be no problem, but we live in a ME world so there's always going to be someone upset. Now that I've pissed off a lot out there, who cares!
Old 09-24-2019, 09:07 PM   #8
bolocop

Were You blocking the launch on the sand during high tide or the concrete at the entrance?

If on the sand, while they pay to have their area, I would have been nice and said I’m tending to an issue.

If on the concrete by the entrance, yeah, I hate folks who don’t have 4x4 and block the launch at the entrance. It’s especially bad during summer.
bolocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 02:13 PM   #9
baileybikes

Yeah it was high tide and that was part of the problem but I was out on the sand and the kayaking company was parked next to me so we essentially had the exit blocked.

Not a big deal - I was just curious what authority they had to be bitching at us.

YES on the swimming too. I had to scream at some people on my way in as I was about to pummel them with little control of the boat once in the surf.
Old 09-25-2019, 07:08 PM   #10
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileybikes View Post
Quick question about the boat launch.

I got a bunch of crap from some lady from one of the kayak tour companies about "blocking the launch". I had a bunch of water in my hull and had to drain it with the bow elevated so while I was there longer than expected, I was present and ready to move if an emergency arose.

I took offense to a commercial company giving private kayakers crap for using a public launch that is ALWAYS semi-blocked by them.

Just curious if anyone else has experienced that or if she was just having a bad day.
Unclear about what your saying was your vehicle on the beach the whole time or just your kayak. I could understand her point if your vehicle was there to long.i personally leave my truck on the street and wheel in ,if anybody complained about my kayak setting on the beach to long I'd tell them to go pack sand....but I would not leave my kayak in the driveway.
Old 09-26-2019, 09:36 AM   #11
baileybikes

Yeah my vehicle was on the beach - i had to elevate the front enough to get the water to drain (Hobie Island).

That's fair and i didn't leave it unattended but I will start wheeling it whenever possible. There was also no parking on the street so I could really wheel it 1/2 mile away to my truck.

She wasn't wrong to point out the obvious - but her demeanor didn't help at all. Amazing to me that being courteous and kind is absolutely free yet few people start out there.

I guess to insecure people, being assertive equates to being rude.