Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 08-18-2005, 09:16 PM   #1
madscientist

LJ 8/18 PM

Since I overslept my alarm (and apparently the WSB bite) I hit the water after work. Breezy and choppy had me missing the AM calm. Ken actually had his radio on so I headed out his way. Not much bait inside. Around the corner, I see birds working what I thought were ravenous calicos. Thinking, "heck, I need lobster bait" I threw at em and bango, hooked up. Feels small and yellow and sure enough, I stick it to this midget.

Not big but at least it gets the skunk off the boat. Another one was one and off, and one big spot of about 20-30 came up. After that, real quiet. Caught up with Ken since I haven't done the PM in awhile and we eventually met up with a somewhat spooked monsieur Knott (his tale). Kept my feet in the boat for the paddle back. High tide landing in the street. Beautiful moonrise over mt soledad. Got this shot of my photo biyatch.

See you tomorrow morning, usual spot (N) Nelz. Let's see if we can get those larger units to stick, then hit the kelp. Sweet little hamachi ain't gonna cut it with this crowd.
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 09:19 PM   #2
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Nice one Brad! My new job doesn't allow me to do PM shifts anymore... :cry: I'll be out there Saturday AM, O-dark-30!!

Chris
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 09:28 PM   #3
madscientist

See you then (most likely). I'll probably go north, depending on tomorrows run.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:30 PM   #4
vellocity

sweet report Brad! talk about up to the minute reports w/ photos!

got to pull on some large YT's today about 120 miles straight south/way below the lower 500 spot.. got HANDED on a few that i could NOT stop right back into the kelp.. got one 30#+ model and a couple other 20# guys.. the 4 of us ended up with 7yt's and 2 dodos.. we farmed about a dozen or more really good grade of fish.....breakoffs, chew offs(dodos), kelped, or other fish swimming into the line of the hanging fish....
get this!!
we must have saw well over 1000 dodo's today..every paddy held well over a hundred each....one monster paddy the water was NEON BLUE everywhere.. each paddy the fish had lockjaws.. each paddy held about half the amount of YT's.. with the full moon, they are probably feeding all night.. needed my dive gun and it would have been over really quickly..
that whole area has moved up 20 miles in the last week, so next week the fish should be within the day boat range...exotic season is ON!
vellocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 09:36 PM   #5
madscientist

No kidding...don't you people sleep! Sounds like a hell of a trip there Nelz. I always liked catching dorado. Had one day sharking back east where they were mixed in thick with some blue sharks. Caught a few but also had several 100+ sharks hit the dodo baits (on spinning tackle). You'd think you were in to a big mahi, then the thing would finally realize it was hooked and ZZZZZZZZZ.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:25 AM   #6
MKNOTT

I need to check out the moon photos I took from last night , hope they come out. Did indeed see the biggest shark I have ever laid my eyes on last night. First saw just the tip of his dorsel sticking up, then watched it slowly rise to at least 12" tall. Yes that is 1 foot! he stayed on top going north for about 45 sec. The fin was even hanging over to the left. I chased him down too get a closer look until he sunk out. very cool. MKNOTT

When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea, <O
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman.
MKNOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 09:35 AM   #7
vellocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKNOTT
I need to check out the moon photos I took from last night , hope they come out. Did indeed see the biggest shark I have ever laid my eyes on last night. First saw just the tip of his dorsel sticking up, then watched it slowly rise to at least 12" tall. Yes that is 1 foot! he stayed on top going north for about 45 sec. The fin was even hanging over to the left. I chased him down too get a closer look until he sunk out. very cool. MKNOTT
was the tail sticking out along with the dorsal?
if not, with a dorsal of a foot with no trailing tail fin showing would put the shark at well over 15'
holy bleeeeeeeeeep :shock:
vellocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 11:50 AM   #8
MKNOTT

Did not see the tail, only a swirl. I wish I got a pic but was too busy trying to get on top of it. :twisted:

When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea, <O
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman.
MKNOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 08:21 PM   #9
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

Nice fireceacker Brad!

Enjoyable evening with the boyz.

Ken
katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 02:13 PM   #10
slotmachine

NW/LJ Kelp

A while back one of the regular free divers, Grant said he was getting ready to drop anchor saw a big comotion in the kelp got closer to see a 40#sea bass bit clean in half. He didn't dive that day.
slotmachine is offline   Reply With Quote