Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2013, 12:55 PM   #1
h-james

Fished Cabrillo on Friday

Headed out to Cabrillo to Friday. With the bait barge not having any good bait lately, I've been fishing the plastics mostly for hit-or-miss results. Yesterday was more of the same. I drifted thru an area of about 50' of water and got hit on each of five casts. Caught a 16" and 10" sand bass, and lost three mystery fish. Tried to drift thru the area again, but lost the bite.
In the same area a huge lizard fish attacked my swim bait, and got himself hooked. I got it to the yak and being lazy I used the leadhead to try and shake the slimy SOB off the hook. I got it off the hook but the dang think grabbed ahold of the tail of the bait as he came off, and plop he goes in the water WITH MY SWIM BAIT securely I his mouth! If fish could talk, I think that fish would have said, "Nice try, Sh**Head, but I got what I came for!"
Headed over towards the lighthouse, and tossed a 6" Brown/Chartruese swimbait with a 1 1/4oz leadhead and got a hook up. As I began to reel it in I feel headshakes, and I think, "Finally, might be a legal!" but as soon as I see it I know it will be short. Dang thing was 21" so it gets CPR'd.
I headed outside the breakwall, and made some small macs, and headed back in to the harbor to drift for hali's. For the next two hours I had two hard hits on the macs, but nothing stuck even with a trap hook. I did manage to catch another halibut (about 16") off a green/ red 4" swim bait.
Strange catch of the day was the octopus that came up attached to one of my macs! Took me a second to realize what the brown mass on my hook was. Just as I was beginning to wonder how to get it off my hook, it let go of the mac and back to the depths it went. Strange.
Overall, it was a nice day for fishing. The weather was warm, and no winds.
h-james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:15 PM   #2
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Sounds like another day in paradise. Such nice weather right now, glad some of you have the time to enjoy it out on the water.

Keep on it man, that legal is just one bite away
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:35 PM   #3
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by h-james View Post
Headed out to Cabrillo to Friday. With the bait barge not having any good bait lately, I've been fishing the plastics mostly for hit-or-miss results. Yesterday was more of the same. I drifted thru an area of about 50' of water and got hit on each of five casts. Caught a 16" and 10" sand bass, and lost three mystery fish. Tried to drift thru the area again, but lost the bite.
In the same area a huge lizard fish attacked my swim bait, and got himself hooked. I got it to the yak and being lazy I used the leadhead to try and shake the slimy SOB off the hook. I got it off the hook but the dang think grabbed ahold of the tail of the bait as he came off, and plop he goes in the water WITH MY SWIM BAIT securely I his mouth! If fish could talk, I think that fish would have said, "Nice try, Sh**Head, but I got what I came for!"
Headed over towards the lighthouse, and tossed a 6" Brown/Chartruese swimbait with a 1 1/4oz leadhead and got a hook up. As I began to reel it in I feel headshakes, and I think, "Finally, might be a legal!" but as soon as I see it I know it will be short. Dang thing was 21" so it gets CPR'd.
I headed outside the breakwall, and made some small macs, and headed back in to the harbor to drift for hali's. For the next two hours I had two hard hits on the macs, but nothing stuck even with a trap hook. I did manage to catch another halibut (about 16") off a green/ red 4" swim bait.
Strange catch of the day was the octopus that came up attached to one of my macs! Took me a second to realize what the brown mass on my hook was. Just as I was beginning to wonder how to get it off my hook, it let go of the mac and back to the depths it went. Strange.
Overall, it was a nice day for fishing. The weather was warm, and no winds.
If it got CPR'd where's the P?
YakDout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:10 AM   #4
t-$money bussard

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
If it got CPR'd where's the P?
LOL
t-$money bussard is offline   Reply With Quote