Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 08-12-2005, 12:26 PM   #1
vellocity

friday 8/12 AM

first time out in La Jolla on the ski this week and forgot i needed 2 stroke oil after i had already dumped the ski into water at Dana Landing.. tied it up to the dock, put my rods and anything valuable back into my truck and booked it back home with an empty trailer! 25 mins later i was back at the dock and relieved to see no one stole my ski!

slow morning that didn't get going until about 9am when the current started to flow.. never really saw any surface boils.. got picked up on a spanish mack at 85' and tried to tow it into deeper waters.. felt like a walking a dog as i lead him out to sea.. had him about 40-50' under me when the flouro leader popped at my knot below my swivel!!! sh*t! felt like a good one, big heavy head shakes.. Seaguar Flouro is damn expensive and that's what i get for trying to milk some mileage off it.. thought about changing that leader 2 trips ago, and i should have!

Arne's favorite RED private boater drives right by me and hooks up on probably a rapala from how fast he was trolling around everyone.. they take about 8 swings at the gaff on what looks like a 10# YT..
about 5 mins after i get picked up again on a spanish... gets briefly stuck in the kelp and i freespool it and after the 3rd try it somehow gets unwrapped and get a 13.5# YT..

sorry about the furbag Brad... for a second i thought we got it back for you!!

good luck this weekend.. watch out for those crazy boats out there!
N
vellocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 02:47 PM   #2
lamb

You did well Nelz!!!

I missed one opportunity about 10:00 AM. Got picked up real nice, killed the clicker but somehow managed not to keep my thumb on the spool all the way down… :roll: Got little bird nest, so let the fish run some more to get it all out… It did, but then it spit the spanish. It must have realized I didn’t know what I was doing… I got the crushed head back.

How about that old fart stealing Brad’s yeller??? :twisted: Hey Brad, at least you can't complain any more that you haven't got yeller in ages. :lol: Good job on trying to help Nelz. Here is a cople of action pics.

Brad, point is a point is a point!!! :lol: . The tape shot is here too.

Actually, I had some excitement on my way back, around noon. I got to meet a nice gentleman, John. I saw him fishing deep in the kelp. He somehow lost balance and flipped as I was passing by. I paddled over and helped him get back on, picked up his stuff that was floating. He thanked, talked about some serious karma going my way. I pinned back the last Spanish and trolled it to the reserve… I guess the karma thing dosn’t kick in right away... :cry:

I better practice that self-rescue. It obviously happens.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:24 PM   #3
madscientist

Thanks Adi. Here's my story. Told Adi I'd meet him down there around 5:15am. I was a little early and ready to go when he got there, so I took off to scout it out. No sign of life at the buoy. Got a big mac on the rapala, flylined his ass. No sign of life or bait on the way out, figure'd I'd go see if I could find my rockfish spot. Found it, but much slower, couple reds and bocaccio. Join up with the crew at the kelp. I saw the big knothead coming towards me and was just thinking to bring in my nice greenies when the flylined one goes off. Little yelllow. nelz is yelling "reel, reel,reel" or something to that effect, I'm horsing this little sucker for all I'm worth, but that big f$cker knows what he's doing. He had it by the tail so I'm still hooked up, hoping he shakes and drops. Nelz makes several good charges at him but he won't turn loose. Smart mofo goes down and under a bull kelp stringer, but my 65lb spectra is making it tough for him. Finally he shreds it enough so the head breaks loose. After the pics I see him chowing on it so I charge after him hoping I can free gaff whatever points are left, but he grabs it and dives. I hate that thing. Looked fishy but I had to get to work so I made the long troll home alone. At the beach I told some tourists a shark got the rest, scared the crap out of them. Weighed the head, about 10oz. One point at a time, baby! Better watch your ass, Ken/Andy/Arne, I'm closing fast.
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 04:37 PM   #4
DESTROYER

I don't think the Furbag liked your hat :lol:

TL-Matt

Brad- You will get your MOJO back soon...It comes in Waves :!:
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 05:10 PM   #5
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

Hey Brad, I see you do “GOT HEAD” :roll:

That’s what you get for talking shit about your little pinniped buddy PSYCHOPUP!

A fisherman’s worst nightmare, especially in these slower times. :cry:

You go Nelz!

Ken
katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 05:16 PM   #6
DESTROYER

Ken- You must be in the DOG house. Todd and I were both talking about be newly weds and we wished we could fish as much as you. Seems as if you have slowed down a little.
:twisted:

Lets do an evening session next week!

TL-Matt
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 06:01 PM   #7
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

Matt, just messing with the……

Enjoy your newlywed bliss. And may it last forever!!

Plenty of time for fishing later.

Fishing has been slow. However, I think the catching is getting ready to go crazy, ya that’s right muy loco!!

I’ll be out there Tuesday PM if ya can get away from the kitchen! :roll:

Ken
katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 08:10 PM   #8
vellocity

hey Ken i remember that YFT! had it to color then WHOOOOSH Jaws said 'not today, not in my house!'

you know how a seal grabs a fish and you feel the tugs? well when a GW bites your fish you don't feel a thing, just instant 'lightness' as the fish gets razor cut in half, with no resistance at all!! it feels like you pulled the hook, then you feel the weight of the remaining fish..

we wanted to galley the rest of what was left but they said it was too risky to eat raw because of the bacteria from the GW's mouth!
Old 08-13-2005, 09:04 AM   #9
hubz
Junior

Bad photo, but here is another YT lost to a sea lion from quite a while back. Pat tried to help, but the sea lions won:

Hubz
hubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 10:14 AM   #10
vellocity

wow Hubz that WOULD have been a BIG YT.. was that a wintertime yoyo fish? nice fat looking big grade YT head!
Old 08-13-2005, 10:22 AM   #11
hubz
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by vellocity
wow Hubz that WOULD have been a BIG YT.. was that a wintertime yoyo fish? nice fat looking big grade YT head!
Yeah, that was Dec. 2003. Yo-yo. You can kind of see where the jig is hooked underneath the jaw. That's not me, it's a guy that I work with.

Hubz
hubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 04:20 PM   #12
madscientist

Ken ,
Where did you get that mad sci biohazard pic? Can I steal that for a sig line? And I don't talk smack about psychopup, he and I are best of buddies. Chris and him on the other hand....
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote