Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Buy, Sell, or Trade Kayak Fishing Gear
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2013, 05:28 PM   #1
el pescator

Looking for a PA or equivalent...

I'm in the market for a Pro Angler or equivalent. I currently have a Prowler 11 and its just not big enough for me. I'd like to upgrade and I would also be open to other sugestions. I'm 6'3" and close to 200lbs. In my Prowler 11 I'm not even comfortable getting into the forward hatch while on the water. I've been to Fastlane and done my research on the PA's but just can't spare 4k to stay dry and stand on a kayak. Being that I have some back problems I'm leaning toward a mirage drive system. I've looked at the new Native Slayer Turbo drive but with my long legs it seems like my knees would be hitting my arms as I fish. As some of you know, I'm fairly new to kayak fishing but please know I'm an avid fisherman both inshore and offshore. I am hooked on the sport and am eager to expand my fishing zones as I feel limited to the bays with my current yak. I'd like to get a fully set up yak and keep my other for friends and/or girlfriend to use. Does anyone have any input and or a PA for sale? I figure, go big or go home so I'm leaning toward a 14. Opinions on the difference between the 12 and 14 are also very welcome. I value the opinions of the experienced and knowledgable anglers on this forum and any advice would help me out a lot!
el pescator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #2
TmBtc12

Check out the Outback also. Not quite a PA but still very stable and a lot less $$.
TmBtc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:53 PM   #3
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by el pescator View Post
I'm in the market for a Pro Angler or equivalent. I currently have a Prowler 11 and its just not big enough for me. I'd like to upgrade and I would also be open to other sugestions. I'm 6'3" and close to 200lbs. In my Prowler 11 I'm not even comfortable getting into the forward hatch while on the water. I've been to Fastlane and done my research on the PA's but just can't spare 4k to stay dry and stand on a kayak. Being that I have some back problems I'm leaning toward a mirage drive system. I've looked at the new Native Slayer Turbo drive but with my long legs it seems like my knees would be hitting my arms as I fish. As some of you know, I'm fairly new to kayak fishing but please know I'm an avid fisherman both inshore and offshore. I am hooked on the sport and am eager to expand my fishing zones as I feel limited to the bays with my current yak. I'd like to get a fully set up yak and keep my other for friends and/or girlfriend to use. Does anyone have any input and or a PA for sale? I figure, go big or go home so I'm leaning toward a 14. Opinions on the difference between the 12 and 14 are also very welcome. I value the opinions of the experienced and knowledgable anglers on this forum and any advice would help me out a lot!
I'm 6'3' 210 and I have the revolution and feel very comfortable on it. The outback and revolution would both suit you fine if you did not want to spend so much on the PA. Maybe you should test out a kayak before making the big purchase

Last edited by YakDout; 11-19-2013 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Typo
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:11 PM   #4
skiptomyzoo

Not sure if you were looking at peddle ones only or open to paddle as well, but since we are similar height and similar weight figure I would post the thread of what kayaks were suggested to me:
http://bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=19708
skiptomyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:12 AM   #5
BUDDHA_

pa12

I have an olive 2012 pa12. Hds5 lowerance Fishfinder. Bamboo gaff. Game clip. Life vest. 2 ram tube rode holders. Wheels it came with. A light stick for the night or when going out early. 2-3 rod leashes. Kayak has minor scratches on the bottom ofcourse. Used about 4-5 times in salt water and about 10 times in lakes. Asking $3800 or best offer
BUDDHA_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:12 AM   #6
el pescator

Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to look into the outback and see if I can test one out. Thanks for the offer Buddah but I just can't spend $3800 for a PA12. For that kind of $ I could get a new one with those options. I've seen a lot of pics of the X-Factor on the water and it looks as if it sits very low on the water and looks wetter than most. Not sure if that's true but chime in if I'm wrong on that. I would like to get a peddle system for fish ability and it looks like the outback may be more bang for the buck unless I could find a PA more in my price range... Is there anywhere around I could test out a Jackson?
el pescator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:52 AM   #7
skiptomyzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by el pescator View Post
Is there anywhere around I could test out a Jackson?
OEX Mission Bay has them. The cuda is there as well as the big rig (no coosa, not enough demand). They also have the native peddle if you were looking to compare to hobie. (the hobies however aren't at this location). You just have to call a head to make an appt to test them.
skiptomyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:57 PM   #8
jbaker

The X-factor is a great kayak. It can be a bit wet in the seat depending on the paddler. If your looking for comfort and a dry ride check out the Cuda 14. The big rig is great too but can be a bit much depending on the person. I've owned an X-factor, stealth 14, revo 13 and Cuda 14. I like the Cuda 14 the most, personally I don't care much for peddles. OEX mission bay has Jackson's and Malibus ready to demo. Fast lane is just around the corner and has Hobie's. I would head out and make a day of it. Anyone can point out features and highlights of their kayak but its really a personal choice.
jbaker is offline   Reply With Quote