Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2014, 06:22 PM   #1
l8kerz42
Junior

Newbie fishing southbay

I am new to Kayak fishing and I live in Torrance, CA. Havent fished outside of the Cabrillo inner harbor and am looking to try a suf launch. Any tips?
l8kerz42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:28 PM   #2
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by l8kerz42 View Post
I am new to Kayak fishing and I live in Torrance, CA. Havent fished outside of the Cabrillo inner harbor and am looking to try a suf launch. Any tips?
Don't flip. Unless everything is tied down.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:19 PM   #3
l8kerz42
Junior

Thanks for the heads up. Gonna try with no gear first few time!
Old 01-14-2014, 08:28 PM   #4
StinkyMatt

Post up when you plan to go...there may be others that have plans and you can meet up.. always safer and more fun with company.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:35 AM   #5
jorluivil

Best tip ever

DO NOT FOLLOW GREG

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:10 AM   #6
GregAndrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Best tip ever

DO NOT FOLLOW GREG
Now that was funny
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:15 AM   #7
GregAndrew

If you are going without gear, Malaga Cove could be a good place for some practice, and relatively close for you. You can also get some practice at the Beach at Cabrillo. Start at the right end of the beach at Cabrillo, and work your way to the left as you feel comfortable. Check the swell size and direction before you head out.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:30 AM   #8
ChristLike
Catch and Release(#2)

strap everything down with gear. keep the nose straight. umm no advice for coming back lol that's the hardest part. Pack your best girly screams and use them coming in when those big waves pick you up from the back
ChristLike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:09 AM   #9
ctfphoto

Check the swell chart, Check the swell chart, and Check the swell chart.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:37 AM   #10
WildernessWanker
WildernessWanker

Drive to County Line, Or Leo, and keep everything out of your yak but the bare essentials. Just launch and paddle out BTB, rest, turn around and land, and then repeat. My first couple trips out were just spent launching and landing to get the feel of the yak and how to handle the conditions. Then after that I would load up the yak and practice the same. Sometimes I did it all in one day, a couple hours empty practicing then a couple hours loaded and then a couple hours fishing. Jim Sammons also has a course geared toward launching and landing which would be an invaluable tool and money well spent. Surf launching can be no joke depending on where you go and requires a specialized approach based on the location, but once accomplished it really opens up your fishable locations and might end up saving you paddle time to some locations due to not having to launch from a protected marina or harbor. Just my 0.02 and the way I did it but I know there are numerous opinions and options.
WildernessWanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:57 PM   #11
tacmik

Jim Sammons also has a video on La Jolla kayaking and fishing site that you might want to check out.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:20 PM   #12
ericko

I only go on really cold days gives me a good reason not to get wet ... Greg and tony look for day of sun so that they can swim with there kayak... in fact tony ful rac has a special video out showing how to land a pa 14.... wiredance might be able help you find it.. im sure there is nothing of me and Roby !!!!
ericko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:24 PM   #13
mrlomelin
Junior

So when r u planing to out to Cabrillo
mrlomelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:47 PM   #14
l8kerz42
Junior

@mrlomelin...I will try to make it out on the water two weekends from now. I will post a couple of days prior to try to meet up with ssomeone.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:24 PM   #15
yak-fishing-socal
kayak fishing socal

When breaking through the waves it's important to keep your paddle in the water and pull through the wave

sent from s4 active lets go yak fishing
yak-fishing-socal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:02 PM   #16
otterpupster

Send a message via MSN to otterpupster
Quote:
Originally Posted by l8kerz42 View Post
Have you launched at Torrance?Haggerty?Although its a zigzag ramp fom the parking lot its a good practice beach w/ Calicos along Haggerty's Go 4it!
otterpupster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:04 PM   #17
l8kerz42
Junior

Gonna try and get out to cabrillo beach friday or saturday morning. Wish me luck!
Old 01-22-2014, 05:19 PM   #18
el pescator

Use tides to your advantage and get familiar with wind patterns.
el pescator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:45 PM   #19
momo fish

ummm. I would avoid county line.. That is not a place to practice.. Its great for surfers, that should say enough.. Leo is better during high tide, but its very rocky if not.. I would practice near the pier if your going to be in this area but there is plenty of smaller wave beaches closer to your area to practice..

first hand experience at countyline but I was crazy when I started learning to surf launch in 6 foot waves every 10 seconds.. Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildernessWanker View Post
Drive to County Line, Or Leo, and keep everything out of your yak but the bare essentials. Just launch and paddle out BTB, rest, turn around and land, and then repeat. My first couple trips out were just spent launching and landing to get the feel of the yak and how to handle the conditions. Then after that I would load up the yak and practice the same. Sometimes I did it all in one day, a couple hours empty practicing then a couple hours loaded and then a couple hours fishing. Jim Sammons also has a course geared toward launching and landing which would be an invaluable tool and money well spent. Surf launching can be no joke depending on where you go and requires a specialized approach based on the location, but once accomplished it really opens up your fishable locations and might end up saving you paddle time to some locations due to not having to launch from a protected marina or harbor. Just my 0.02 and the way I did it but I know there are numerous opinions and options.
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote