Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 01-27-2018, 05:51 AM   #1
Ggiannig89

Wind n waves

Just curious about what keeps my fellow kayakers in. At what wind speeds and wave height do you guys stay in? Also what kayak are you using. It’s definitely easier to deal with wind with a mirage drive imo.
Ggiannig89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:21 AM   #2
DanaPT

For me in an outback I prefer wind under 10 mph.

It's not a problem with a drive just hard to stay in any one spot.

Usually not concerned with wave height. Only 1 time feeling sick. I Dont even bother looking at waves and swell but I launch in a harbor.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 08:54 AM   #3
FISH11

Talking

I use a 2016 Revo 13 and with that I prefer the surf to be no higher then 4' and the wind 15 mph. If I used my 2016 Malibu X Factor the same on the surf but the wind would depend more on what kind of upper body conditioning I was in. Since I haven't use it enough because of how easy it is to use the mirage drive my upper body is not in shape and would want the wind under 10 mph. I love the stability and surf in ability the Malibu has over my Revo but like many I got spoiled by the use of the mirage drive and would provably would be in better physical shape if I paddled more often.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:11 PM   #4
GregAndrew

The answer is "It depends". I have fished San Pedro harbor with 30mph winds, and launched in surf up to 8'. But you need special circumstances for those situations to make it worth the attempt. For high winds, you need real close wind breaks (moored boats may work), and not a long distance to or from where you are going to fish. Otherwise you are going to spend almost all of your time fighting the wind, and very little fishing. For medium winds (10 - 15mph) you might want to consider locations that the wind is blowing offshore or past some type of obstruction that will keep the wind swell down. The longer duration and distance that wind blows, in the same direction over open water, the larger the wind swell will become. I suggest that everyone gradually test their limits on paddling/pedaling both up-wind and cross-wind.

For surf there are 2 big considerations besides the reported wave heights. Those are the swell interval, and if there are multiple swells. Generally, surf reports are based on the size of the prevailing swell. Surf sites will give you some more inclusive forecasts by telling you the occasional heights of waves (when multiple swells combine to make larger waves). So, for larger wave sizes (5'+), you need long intervals (12+ secs) between sets to get out between them. If there are additional swells greater than 2' in height, that can make it more difficult. For medium swells, the additional swells will probably be less of a factor (unless they are similar in size), but you should expect to take at least 1 wave over the bow in intervals less than 10 secs. All this being said, you still need to know how to time the sets and have a good landing technique. And a good 2-4' swell day is a great opportunity to go out without your fishing gear and play in the surf (although summer is better).

These numbers are ball park figures. The point is that it is not as simple as what wind speed and wave height numbers do you draw the line.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:02 AM   #5
Denis_Ruso

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
The answer is "It depends". I have fished San Pedro harbor with 30mph winds, and launched in surf up to 8'. But you need special circumstances for those situations to make it worth the attempt. For high winds, you need real close wind breaks (moored boats may work), and not a long distance to or from where you are going to fish. Otherwise you are going to spend almost all of your time fighting the wind, and very little fishing. For medium winds (10 - 15mph) you might want to consider locations that the wind is blowing offshore or past some type of obstruction that will keep the wind swell down. The longer duration and distance that wind blows, in the same direction over open water, the larger the wind swell will become. I suggest that everyone gradually test their limits on paddling/pedaling both up-wind and cross-wind.

For surf there are 2 big considerations besides the reported wave heights. Those are the swell interval, and if there are multiple swells. Generally, surf reports are based on the size of the prevailing swell. Surf sites will give you some more inclusive forecasts by telling you the occasional heights of waves (when multiple swells combine to make larger waves). So, for larger wave sizes (5'+), you need long intervals (12+ secs) between sets to get out between them. If there are additional swells greater than 2' in height, that can make it more difficult. For medium swells, the additional swells will probably be less of a factor (unless they are similar in size), but you should expect to take at least 1 wave over the bow in intervals less than 10 secs. All this being said, you still need to know how to time the sets and have a good landing technique. And a good 2-4' swell day is a great opportunity to go out without your fishing gear and play in the surf (although summer is better).

These numbers are ball park figures. The point is that it is not as simple as what wind speed and wave height numbers do you draw the line.
Well Said.

There are many aspects to look at. Tides affect the launch and landing too. Also where you're launching, beach is much different than harbor.

But if we're looking at only 2 things. Winds under 12knots and swell less than 5 ft for a beach launch. I'm on a Hobie Revo.

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 12:23 PM   #6
fishnfoool

Just as long as the waves are under 10 feet and wind is under 30 mph, I am good to go.
fishnfoool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 01:46 PM   #7
YakHanded
Thread Killer - sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnfoool View Post
Just as long as the waves are under 10 feet and wind is under 30 mph, I am good to go.
Ya one time I made Poseidon beg for mercy and then he just placed a 70lb seabass in my lap. In a Hurricane.
YakHanded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:57 PM   #8
skrilla

For LJ... single digit wind speeds and double digit second wave intervals are ideal. That and if a W or NW swell isn't breaking closeouts in the surf. But with that said I still find a way to yard sale in flat calm conditions.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:03 PM   #9
Hunters Pa

Listen to your gut. If in doubt, go somewhere else that is calmer
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote