Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 09-05-2015, 06:46 AM   #1
seaquinn
wishin' I was fishin'

Lifeguard Report about "no blood" or scent near beach.....

I'm not real sure how they check this, but just listening right now, Sat AM, Sept 5th, on the Let's Talk Hookup Radio Show, that due to so many Hammerheads nearby at LJ, the lifeguards report that all of us kayakers at La Jolla, can not be coming into the boat launch with any blood scent on our boats.

Something like that.

The message was to clean our fish out at sea, and truly rinse any blood off far away from the beach. Apparently there are lots of hammerheads and when one of us cleans our fish, they may follow the kayak for a long ways, and they don't want us bringing those hammerheads into the swimming area.

I know it sounds crazy, and as soon as the water cools, this will all change, but they said they may CLOSE THE LAUNCH AREA TO KAYAKS if we don't do this.

Hammerheads typically feed on small fish, but if aroused by scent, then lots of splashing kids, etc... well, you get the idea.

The message was for us to police ourselves so that they don't have to.
seaquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:08 AM   #2
buddha

Hopefully these are just idle threats of closing the launch area to kayaks. My guess is that there will be no hammerheads to come into the swimming area and then we go back to regular programming.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:14 AM   #3
maquinapescado

Are they going to inspect for menstruating women as well. I hear sharks can smell a drop of blood from a mile away........
maquinapescado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 09:45 AM   #4
mckenzie

This is NOT an idle threat, this is VERY real. I just spoke to the lifeguards. The BEACH WILL BE CLOSES TO KAYAK FISHERMEN. They are watching yakkers come in with their binoculars and if ANY sharks are seen, the beach will be closed to all yak fishermen.

Don't be an idiot, if you must gut your fish, do it out in open water and make sure the hammers are not following you in to the landing. If you are asked by ANYONE, "no I have not seen any sharks today". This should be your standard answer.

We will lose are right to fish LJ and who knows when we will get it back-if ever!!!!
mckenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 09:56 AM   #5
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

"In Saturday's sighting, kayak fisherman captured cellphone video that looked like a scene from Jaws."

With reporting like that, it's only a matter of time. http://www.10news.com/news/2nd-shark...ompts-advisory
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 10:12 AM   #6
skrilla

Complete BS. Sounds like a violation of public access. Where is SAC and CCA-CAL? Might as well spend some of that money they made at Fred Hall to fight our right to access the ocean. That or start dragging your kayaks down to Children's seal's Pool.

/kneejerk reaction
Old 09-05-2015, 12:24 PM   #7
FARRIER

I would be curious how they could legally justify closing a beach and public boat launch.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:28 PM   #8
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Isn't there already "blood in the water" from normal food chain activity? --- fish eating fish, sea lions eating fish, sharks eating fish, sharks eating sea lions, etc., etc.

Isn't there fish scent in the water from all the bait balls, schools and fish boils? What about the normal death of sea life in general as a part of the natural life cycle?

What happens in the water now every time a shark eats a meal in the normal course of daily living? Any fish juice splattered around from fish and mammals masticating each other? What about the sports and commercial boats cleaning their fish on the way back to Mission Bay or San Diego Bay?

What impact do a few kayak fishermen have on all of this process of life in the ocean?

Haven't the hammerheads migrated into this area mostly because of warmer water temperatures? I'm pretty sure they didn't follow kayaks to La Jolla from Mexico.

Maybe they are drawn to the prolific sea life of the restricted preserve and the amazing ecology of the La Jolla & Scripps canyons, kelp beds and everything else that makes such a rich environment for sea life out there? Hmmmm?

Just another ho-hum day in paradise

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 09-05-2015 at 12:45 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 12:46 PM   #9
kurt

How hard is it to bring out a sponge to wipe off the blood from your kayak before you head in? And a few heavy duty contractor garbage bags to throw your fish in at the end of the day? I think this is totally overblown, but a shark following a kayak in to a beach with swimmers in going to incite a media feeding frenzy every time. Do your best to stop a potential problem.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:50 PM   #10
Zed
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckenzie View Post
This is NOT an idle threat, this is VERY real. I just spoke to the lifeguards. The BEACH WILL BE CLOSES TO KAYAK FISHERMEN. They are watching yakkers come in with their binoculars and if ANY sharks are seen, the beach will be closed to all yak fishermen.

Don't be an idiot, if you must gut your fish, do it out in open water and make sure the hammers are not following you in to the landing. If you are asked by ANYONE, "no I have not seen any sharks today". This should be your standard answer.

We will lose are right to fish LJ and who knows when we will get it back-if ever!!!!
Point to the leopards and scream "theyre right there!" and run flailing your arms.
Old 09-05-2015, 02:11 PM   #11
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

I am certainly not "The sky is falling" kind of a guy but I think this is a serious threat to this community. Having seen what went on during the MLPA process I can say with certainty a that there are a lot more people with a lot more money than this community has that would shut us all down. Logic and science be dammed. It simply doesn't matter. All they need is some lame excuse that the media will get behind.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 03:16 PM   #12
FISH11

Angry

Why do they feel the need to threaten kayak fishermen with closure of the launch, when they won't even enforce the no swimming signs at the launch. At least 1/2 the times I land there are paddle boarders playing trying to learn how to do it, right at the launch and landing zone. Also often there are tourist watching their friend in rentals while standing in knee or waist deep water. They are a hazard to landing and aren't even paying attention as you come in with limited dirrectional control in the surf. It seems the lifeguards need to station one at the landing to keep the people not launching or landing a water craft out of the water and direct them to the appropriate area. Most of all is why did the city of San Diego need to spend the millions they did building a newer lifeguard station at "the childrens pool" when they don't let people use the beach. Is it important to have them there in case one of the Fricken Tourist falls in the water while trying to get a closer look at the seals.
Old 09-05-2015, 04:36 PM   #13
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FARRIER View Post
I would be curious how they could legally justify closing a beach and public boat launch.

Did you hear about a swimmer who got attacked by a GWS while a pier fisherman was fighting it?

The City of Manhattan Beach closed the pier to fishing for three months, removed cleaning stations and put up signs for new (but illegal) rules.

I testified on many of the meetings along with many other fishermen.

They finally opened the pier sooner than intended, but the cleaning stations are gone, and the illegal rules are being enforced by police officers.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 05:00 PM   #14
HobieScot

Logic and science do not factor into a decision to take away sportsmanship rights. They just banned bobcat trapping THIS YEAR even with a solid case presented at the meetings with the biologists, facts, and the science to back it up. Yet they still banned trapping.

And when it comes to sharks and the mass hysteria that they evoke in the public you can bet it would be an easy sell to take away our rights and blame it all on us. Forget the fact that El Niño is why the Sharks are here so close and in the numbers they are

They don't care about facts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HobieScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 06:22 PM   #15
FARRIER

Was a health and safety code used? Or what specific body of law governed that decision do you recall? I would like to read it.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:55 PM   #16
bolocop

Quote:
Originally Posted by FARRIER View Post

Haven't you learned from post 9/11 rhetoric? It goes something like this: "Out of an abundance of caution for public safety...(fill in whatever bs you want)."

That's how they shut it down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bolocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 11:35 PM   #17
swinginFish

Sharks and Chicken Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaquinn View Post
...The message was for us to police ourselves so that they don't have to.
I'm probably not the only LJ kayak fisherman who's called 911 from my kayak so that the lifeguards could quickly come out and take care of another yakker in a sinking craft, nor am I alone in being impressed with the speed and thoroughness of their efforts. In short, I appreciate what they do and, frankly, understand the pressure on them to err on the side of caution.

Would seem wise to me that, rather than risk bringing on a launch closure through obstinacy and sounding like we care little about beach goers, that we make a distinct effort to appear sensitive to the importance of caution, and as public as we can about the kayak fishing community's effort to police itself so as to minimize risk to ourselves as well as others from sharks.

Time to get serious about this, as things could spin way out of our control. Perhaps take the ball (rather than react defensively) and spin things quickly and loudly so that we're publicly promoted as the "early-warning system" most effective at alerting others of aggressive shark behavior in the area.

While the so-called "sky" may not as yet be "falling," with the report this evening of a hammerhead biting the dangling foot of a County Line kayak fisherman," it certainly seems like there's dark clouds" on the horizon."

Avery
swinginFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 02:24 AM   #18
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
I was born in Sandiego just do what they ask.....or find another place to fish period.
Old 09-06-2015, 05:35 AM   #19
surfisher

Simple: Catch and Release for 1-2 weeks until it blows over. If interviewed it could also give kayak fisherman a good name so we don't appear to be fish killing machines.

Obviously not everyone would want to release their prized YT but I'm sure most of the dudes that have been fishing this season have a full freezer by now.
Old 09-06-2015, 06:13 AM   #20
PAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinginFish View Post
I'm probably not the only LJ kayak fisherman who's called 911 from my kayak so that the lifeguards could quickly come out and take care of another yakker in a sinking craft, nor am I alone in being impressed with the speed and thoroughness of their efforts. In short, I appreciate what they do and, frankly, understand the pressure on them to err on the side of caution.

Would seem wise to me that, rather than risk bringing on a launch closure through obstinacy and sounding like we care little about beach goers, that we make a distinct effort to appear sensitive to the importance of caution, and as public as we can about the kayak fishing community's effort to police itself so as to minimize risk to ourselves as well as others from sharks.

Time to get serious about this, as things could spin way out of our control. Perhaps take the ball (rather than react defensively) and spin things quickly and loudly so that we're publicly promoted as the "early-warning system" most effective at alerting others of aggressive shark behavior in the area.

While the so-called "sky" may not as yet be "falling," with the report this evening of a hammerhead biting the dangling foot of a County Line kayak fisherman," it certainly seems like there's dark clouds" on the horizon."

Avery
Well said Avery.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote