Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 04-12-2016, 02:37 PM   #1
knightnsd

Sardine fishery

https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-bans-mo...222641846.html

Interesting article on why saving the sealions that are starving and harrassing us as we fish may not work till the sardines receiver. It seems to early to be saving the seals and sea lions until the sardine population recovers as there may not be enough food for them and the game fish. I posted something about this on facebook when the Marine room posted their saved baby sea lion and was hated for my comments. The sad part is the lost sardine population will hit us as well in poor bait choices or less game fish. At least there is some promising news that there are more sardines spawning.
knightnsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:30 AM   #2
taggermike

Wow. At least they didn't find a way to blame it on sports anglers. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:46 AM   #3
Denis_Ruso

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
Wow. At least they didn't find a way to blame it on sports anglers. Mike
Yet...

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:56 AM   #4
Kayak_Bernie
Live Watersports ProStaff

simple fact: through years of conservation and protection the sea lion population is at its highest in a few decades. They have reached carrying capacity and more and more pups are starving because there simply are not enough resources to go around, and the weak are left to die, making the entire species stronger. Except baby sealions are cute and people feel like we need to save ALL of them. Massive resources are put into play to rehabilitate an animal that probably should be dead. One of the main reasons that California Condors are so endangered is that a main part of their diet was taken away, they used to feed on dead whale , dolphin seal and sea lion carcasses, just think how much food a dead humpback whale could provide for large scavengers like the condor. Now everywhere up and down the coast condors don't exist because we clean up and rescue whales dolphins and sea lions. While I think rescuing sea mammals is generally a good idea especially if people have caused them to strand ( fishing nets, or sonar etc.) Sometime you have to let nature take its course, however unpleasant that may be sometimes. Bottom line is that sometime cute baby animals have to die, so other ugly/ non-cuddly animals can survive. But try telling your 5 year old daughter that the baby seal pup need to die so that some baby sardines can live, probably not an easy sell. Unless your kid is really advanced and understand marine ecology and environmental carrying capacity...

Safety Director
Kayak_Bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 02:26 PM   #5
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayak_Bernie View Post
simple fact: through years of conservation and protection the sea lion population is at its highest in a few decades. They have reached carrying capacity and more and more pups are starving because there simply are not enough resources to go around, and the weak are left to die, making the entire species stronger. Except baby sealions are cute and people feel like we need to save ALL of them. Massive resources are put into play to rehabilitate an animal that probably should be dead. One of the main reasons that California Condors are so endangered is that a main part of their diet was taken away, they used to feed on dead whale , dolphin seal and sea lion carcasses, just think how much food a dead humpback whale could provide for large scavengers like the condor. Now everywhere up and down the coast condors don't exist because we clean up and rescue whales dolphins and sea lions. While I think rescuing sea mammals is generally a good idea especially if people have caused them to strand ( fishing nets, or sonar etc.) Sometime you have to let nature take its course, however unpleasant that may be sometimes. Bottom line is that sometime cute baby animals have to die, so other ugly/ non-cuddly animals can survive. But try telling your 5 year old daughter that the baby seal pup need to die so that some baby sardines can live, probably not an easy sell. Unless your kid is really advanced and understand marine ecology and environmental carrying capacity...
People have a hard time understanding that nature kills off it's surplus, it isn't mean or hateful or cruel, it's just nature.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:18 AM   #6
stoned-trout

we should be able to hunt sea lions...I would eat one just as payback...
Old 04-15-2016, 07:39 AM   #7
Jizzling

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoned-trout View Post
we should be able to hunt sea lions...I would eat one just as payback...
HAHAHA! Let me know when hunting party begins!
Jizzling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 02:21 PM   #8
Chadahooch760
Junior

Let me know I got my 30-30 ready to roll
Chadahooch760 is offline   Reply With Quote