Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2015, 07:43 AM   #1
Caseym

Carlsbad Scare

Something has always freaked me out about that place. Just always feels "sharky." Well,Yesterday something very very large went beneath my yak 3-4 times. I don't know what it was for sure, but it wasn't a whale and obviously was waaaaaay thicker and longer than a sea lion. Seemed to definitely be checking me out. I got out of the water, loaded up and decided I'm done 'testing' that canyon. Back to the comforts of La Jolla for me!
Caseym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:58 AM   #2
AirborneYak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseym View Post
Something has always freaked me out about that place. Just always feels "sharky." Well,Yesterday something very very large went beneath my yak 3-4 times. I don't know what it was for sure, but it wasn't a whale and obviously was waaaaaay thicker and longer than a sea lion. Seemed to definitely be checking me out. I got out of the water, loaded up and decided I'm done 'testing' that canyon. Back to the comforts of La Jolla for me!
There's been a lot of shark activity lately. Two weeks ago my cousin got his red stolen from his stronger by a hammerhead.
AirborneYak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:30 AM   #3
TJones

Diner bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneYak View Post
There's been a lot of shark activity lately. Two weeks ago my cousin got his red stolen from his stronger by a hammerhead.
Is that a wise idea ? I am assuming the stringer was hanging in water ? Glad you guys are ok . My understating is that it is the ones you don't see that you have to worry about . I am not sure if that pertains to sonar returns ?
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:32 AM   #4
tamddo714

You're not even safe at la jolla. Last week when I went out there was a hammer head and a great white lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tamddo714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:53 AM   #5
AirborneYak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
Is that a wise idea ? I am assuming the stringer was hanging in water ? Glad you guys are ok . My understating is that it is the ones you don't see that you have to worry about . I am not sure if that pertains to sonar returns ?
I usually have no problem with a stringer hanging out , but now I have all my catch inside my yak. I saw the hammerhead ping on my sonar, but didn't realize it was a shark till it came up and my cousin started screaming shark!
Old 08-15-2015, 09:29 AM   #6
Chuck D

Yep... there are no sharks in La Jolla
Chuck D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:51 AM   #7
RK

Definitely no sharks in la jolla
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 11:05 AM   #8
medina760

There's definitely hammerheads around Carlsbad and Oceanside. I went out on my buddy's skiff last week and this hammerhead about 9ft long was eyeing my yf tuna.
medina760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 11:22 AM   #9
Caseym

Ya it was probably a Hammerhead. I just don't like the idea of something that big cruising and waiting beneath my yak. Always makes me feel like one bad tip and I could become hammerhead bait!! Just say no to Carlsbad Canyon!!!
It sits right outside that kelp so I think the natural upwelling brings the big predators around close to the beach. At least La Jolla is angled off away from the point. I just feel better out there...safer launching and landing too. The swell can really change from morning launch to afternoon. I Lost a net and rod there in the surf on a 'small' day just because three hours later it was bigger.
Caseym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 11:38 AM   #10
driftwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneYak View Post

According to some people on this board, Hanging your fish in the water on a stringer is all worth the risk for fresh fish.
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 02:06 PM   #11
AirborneYak

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
According to some people on this board, Hanging your fish in the water on a stringer is all worth the risk for fresh fish.
Yeah. Now I'm looking into a kill bag. Don't want to pay the taxman again.
Old 08-15-2015, 03:12 PM   #12
HobieScot

Carlsbad Scare

I always keep my fish on a stringer inside/on top of my kayak

While spear fishing I've had my stringer buzzed by a shark only once and that was enough. Luckily it was a grey smooth hound and not a larger shark that I need to worry about. But unnerving none the less. I've also had to fight off and eventually loose an entire stringer to a sea lion that was as big as me. So I won't leave fish on a stringer in the water anymore

As soon I shoot a fish it's on the boat asap

On the kayak it's inside if it fits or on top of it doesn't

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by HobieScot; 08-15-2015 at 03:23 PM.
HobieScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:04 PM   #13
Whiteboy

Whites mako hammers are all at La jolla right now. Not a big deal. Keep doing your thing. If he follows you turn towards him and chase him. He won't know what to think. They're more afraid of you than you are of them. If you run away you look more like food. Go at them you might be a bigger predator, they got other things to do than get hurt.
Whiteboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:41 PM   #14
YTHunter
Carlisle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteboy View Post
Whites mako hammers are all at La jolla right now. Not a big deal. Keep doing your thing. If he follows you turn towards him and chase him. He won't know what to think. They're more afraid of you than you are of them. If you run away you look more like food. Go at them you might be a bigger predator, they got other things to do than get hurt.
Whites mako hammers are all at La jolla right now. Correctamente

Not a big deal. Maybe, maybe not. One of our fellow BWE members got launched about 10 ft into the air by a great white last year up around Vandenberg
Old 08-16-2015, 06:42 AM   #15
Whiteboy

Nice getting launched into air. Sounds like a ride. You didn't mention anything about getting bit so that's good. If your worried about sharks then avoid the ocean. No sharks in our lakes. Me I'm a dumb ass that doesn't let anything scare him. If it does I go back for more. Adrenaline junkie. I have chased a great white and a couple hammers. They all ran away . But before I started chasing them they followed. And second off how many hours per day does this website have a person off it on the water. I'd say everyday there's a lot of people on water from here. That means since this website was created the hundreds of thousands of hours on the water by people off here and only one time did someone have a truly bad encounter with a shark? I'd say that was a fluke and the odds are better of hitting lotto twice in a row than getting attacked. Not to say you couldnt prevoke a bite if you wanted. I had a yellowtail head I was trying to get the white to come over and take. He wouldn't. Maybe next time I will get to hand feed him and try to catch him by hand. Tickle the nose and turn them over. Tonic immobilization will keep them calm. They do this all over the world to research sharks. It works and I'm going to post on here soon I hand fed and caught a big shark. That's on my bucket list. Not catching a tuna that's not scary at all stay safe and never run from a predator that will cause them to chase. It's instincts to them to chase something running and not in their instincts to fight with something that isn't afraid of them.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:17 AM   #16
chris138
donkey roper

You're going to hand line a white shark yet you got flipped by a yellowtail?
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 07:39 AM   #17
Whiteboy

That was on my buddy's pos yak. No line involved. I'm going to hang a yellowtail head out and bait him to me. Then go from there. Ive seen it done many times researchers do this nethod a lot. That's the plan at least. I have a 14 ft xfactor. It won't flip. I just was being a good friend and letting the beginner use the good yak. I was on a sit in dagger pos that was missing rudder. Totally set up for failure. But my buddy caught 2 and had a great day so a little wet but worth it.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:10 AM   #18
Murray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseym View Post
Ya it was probably a Hammerhead. I just don't like the idea of something that big cruising and waiting beneath my yak. Always makes me feel like one bad tip and I could become hammerhead bait!! Just say no to Carlsbad Canyon!!!
It sits right outside that kelp so I think the natural upwelling brings the big predators around close to the beach. At least La Jolla is angled off away from the point. I just feel better out there...safer launching and landing too. The swell can really change from morning launch to afternoon. I Lost a net and rod there in the surf on a 'small' day just because three hours later it was bigger.
Lots of threshers in that canyon. Used to catch 200 plus lb threshers when I had my boat. Seemed like shark activity started at a depth of 350 ft plus. Rarely saw any sharks in shallower water but obviously they are there....... Personally, I have not had a shark encounter yet on my yak. Sure it will happen but do not think it will freak me out.........unless he charges me and then I will call Whiteboy over and let him hand line that sucker....ha ha. Chances of having a problem are pretty darn slim. Considering all the yakers that are on the water and only a few problems, I would not let sharks hinder me from ocean fishing on a kayak. Fish on boys.
Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 08:16 AM   #19
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteboy View Post
That was on my buddy's pos yak. No line involved. I'm going to hang a yellowtail head out and bait him to me. Then go from there. Ive seen it done many times researchers do this nethod a lot. That's the plan at least. I have a 14 ft xfactor. It won't flip. I just was being a good friend and letting the beginner use the good yak. I was on a sit in dagger pos that was missing rudder. Totally set up for failure. But my buddy caught 2 and had a great day so a little wet but worth it.
Right on man that would be an amazing video. As long as you did it respectfully and didn't harm the shark, or the public image of kayak fishermen. I bet you would get a million hits in like a day!
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 08:38 AM   #20
Jim Sammons LJKF

Whites are protected you can not intentionally hook one. More than a few guys have been hit by whites up in Nor Cal, thankfully none have been hurt yet. Not a fish I want to invite to my kayak on purpose.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote