Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 05-17-2011, 09:34 AM   #21
tagyak

so what i am getting from this report is don't take the first fish?????? wait for the MONSTER FISH!!!! where do i need to sign up???
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:54 AM   #22
wolfman
Wolfman

April 1 11

It was a beautifull day fish or no fish! I got a late start (last off the beach), quickly made bait and just past the marker got two macs in the water. After a short time something hit my Carolina rig hard enough to break my leader. About 10min later my fly line went off! This is my first post and first WSB Now I am after a first yellow!
Attached Images

wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:26 AM   #23
knightnsd

nice wsb

damn I tried a lot of things before I ever caught my first wsb, nice fish even live squid on a carolina rig didn't catch a fish like that for me last year... only yellows you pulled that on a mac none the less that really hurts! Hats off to that wsb
knightnsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:34 AM   #24
greenscales
greenscales

The Eyes have it

I think long winded reports are why Ballast Point and friends created coffee ports and stouts - allows you to relax and stay awake for the long read.

No congrats or great luck from me to Josh or his clients, but instead "great return on your investment." Specifically to Josh w/all the non-client times you spend on the water to keep in tune to the conditions. On too many days this year I could only get down when the conditions weren't right, still I see Josh making a quick run to the grounds in the PM for just a quick reconnoiter for his clients scheduled for the next day.

The other huge plus for the YT is his use of a kayak that allows him a line of site higher out of the water to spot the fish. For those of us whose eyes are burnt out from years on the water &/or on low to the water kayaks, we are at a definite disadvantage. The few days I have been able to get in the right conditions this year, I have had to blind cast on the area where he is pointing them out to his clients. For this reason my next kayak will be one I can standup on.

** And no I am not a client of Josh's nor am I trying to get a deal on a new Hobie. I am just pointing out that luck isn't the issue; time and experience on the water, and the proper gear is. ** Now if the we are lucky enough for the weather to clean up during the good tides I know mother Gaia will shine her face on me and release to me her bounty from the sea.
greenscales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:40 AM   #25
walrus

I think I'll step out to get a cup of coffee before heading for La Jolla after reading the post.

Can we get Josh in the San Diego Hall of Champions? He is best in this sport.

Congrats on the fish.. fishes.
walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:48 PM   #26
Mtobolsky
Loves his member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
It was a beautifull day fish or no fish! I got a late start (last off the beach), quickly made bait and just past the marker got two macs in the water. After a short time something hit my Carolina rig hard enough to break my leader. About 10min later my fly line went off! This is my first post and first WSB Now I am after a first yellow!
Hijacker.... Nice fish everyone!
Mtobolsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:08 AM   #27
THE DARKHORSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagyak View Post
so what i am getting from this report is don't take the first fish?????? wait for the MONSTER FISH!!!! where do i need to sign up???
Asking if a client wants to harvest a fish before it's gaffed is standard operating procedure. Believe it or not, I have regular clients who only want to catch and release monster Yellowtail and White Sea Bass.

Disclaimer: I'm a catch and release angler 98% of the time. Prior to harvesting a White Sea Bass this month I haven't harvested one since March 2; my birthday fish that I posted. I've caught the crap out of them the past few months, though. The only thing more exciting than gaffing a monster--- is watching them kick off strong to fight another day.

"No congrats or great luck from me to Josh or his clients, but instead "great return on your investment." Specifically to Josh w/all the non-client times you spend on the water to keep in tune to the conditions. On too many days this year I could only get down when the conditions weren't right, still I see Josh making a quick run to the grounds in the PM for just a quick reconnoiter for his clients scheduled for the next day.

The other huge plus for the YT is his use of a kayak that allows him a line of site higher out of the water to spot the fish. For those of us whose eyes are burnt out from years on the water &/or on low to the water kayaks, we are at a definite disadvantage. The few days I have been able to get in the right conditions this year, I have had to blind cast on the area where he is pointing them out to his clients. For this reason my next kayak will be one I can standup on.

** And no I am not a client of Josh's nor am I trying to get a deal on a new Hobie. I am just pointing out that luck isn't the issue; time and experience on the water, and the proper gear is. ** Now if the we are lucky enough for the weather to clean up during the good tides I know mother Gaia will shine her face on me and release to me her bounty from the sea." [/QUOTE]

All this time I thought my kayak was designed for flat rivers, lakes and streams. It's obviously too large and heavy to surf launch and land on a regular basis. Not to mention, I'm sure it's too slow to cover the great distances required to consistently catch Yellowtail. I've heard from so many guys that it's not a kayak designed for the big-water. And who am I to say that those guys don't know what they're talking about? Move along folks---nothing here to see.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:55 PM   #28
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DARKHORSE View Post
All this time I thought my kayak was designed for flat rivers, lakes and streams. It's obviously too large and heavy to surf launch and land on a regular basis. Not to mention, I'm sure it's too slow to cover the great distances required to consistently catch Yellowtail. I've heard from so many guys that it's not a kayak designed for the big-water. And who am I to say that those guys don't know what they're talking about? Move along folks---nothing here to see.
Lol so I guess you lost your bet with sharon? Gotta love a fresh dosage of sodium chloride from a fellow fisherperson.
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:54 PM   #29
THE DARKHORSE

You are a funny man...I like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris138 View Post
Lol so I guess you lost your bet with sharon? Gotta love a fresh dosage of sodium chloride from a fellow fisherperson.

After taking a look at the close interval, thumping surf (for the launch anyway)---I thought aloud saying that Sharonkayak wasn't going to make it out. Unfortunately, she was in ear shot when I said it. The truth is I wasn't man enough to shake lady-luck's hand when she wanted to take me up on the bet .

I know she made it out unscathed, but who knows how she landed---I'm guessing salty and wet from head to toe.

The Hobie Pro Angler handled the messy conditions with ease; going in and coming out. I've never rolled the Prangler or came close for that matter. And the last time I rolled a Hobie (Outback, Revolution, or Pro Angler) was a few years ago shortly after my switch to the Ferrari of kayaks. I've only rolled a Hobie kayak once; it was in the dark, going out---but, that's before I used the pedals going through the surf. That never would have happened if I was using pedals at the time.

After writing this, though, I'm sure it's just a matter of time.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:09 PM   #30
Mtobolsky
Loves his member

Josh.....
you smell, its definately time for a bath......three years.....nasty
Mtobolsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:26 PM   #31
bubblehide

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DARKHORSE View Post
...Disclaimer: I'm a catch and release angler 98% of the time. Prior to harvesting a White Sea Bass this month I haven't harvested one since March 2; my birthday fish that I posted. I've caught the crap out of them the past few months, though. The only thing more exciting than gaffing a monster--- is watching them kick off strong to fight another day. ..."

Obviously you've been catching them prespawn, clearly demonstrating your fishing prowess. And something that takes well honed skills, knowledge, and ability. Funny thing about tha prespawn bite, is that some people think that if it's not wide open, the fish simply aren't there.

In my feeble attempts to emulate the master, Darkhorse, here's a picture of a prespawn fish up here, about a couple weeks ago; with a buddy on a borrowed yak, no ff, no gps.

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m...chmentaspx.jpg

Now there's a whole lotta kelp out there between LJ and here, and there simply has got to be lots of fish for those willing to get out there and work for them.

bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote