Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2010, 08:44 PM   #1
T-Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by WahooUSMA View Post
I can't for the life of me get the drive shaft bearing out. I had to have Anglers Center send my last two out reels out - my SX and MXL. Where can I find this tool? It would save me $55.00.

Do you think the Penn Reel grease will work? And, just a small amount on the spool side? Is this where the spool meets the back side of the frame, because there are bearings there too? I'll give it a shot. Let me know if the Penn grease will work (don't see why it wouldn't?). I don't usually go against the manufactures recommendations, but if everyone is saying "Grease-em" then I'll give it a try. Thanks
You gotta make the tool out of a strong coat hanger. You need a needle nose pliers to bend the end and then grind or file the hook end to a fine point. You work the point in behind the bearing so it catches and then pull HARD. I was surprised how much force was needed to break the corrosion loose.

Penn reel grease is not intended for washers...I think it's only for gears, bushings, and some bearings. Stick with Cal's or Shimano drag grease for your washers. Any other grease on your drag washers will probably cause big problems with the drag slipping and sticking.

Check out Alan Tani's website for details on how to make the tool or PM me and I'll be happy to give you a couple.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:04 PM   #2
Lets_Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rex View Post
You gotta make the tool out of a strong coat hanger. You need a needle nose pliers to bend the end and then grind or file the hook end to a fine point. You work the point in behind the bearing so it catches and then pull HARD. I was surprised how much force was needed to break the corrosion loose.

Penn reel grease is not intended for washers...I think it's only for gears, bushings, and some bearings. Stick with Cal's or Shimano drag grease for your washers. Any other grease on your drag washers will probably cause big problems with the drag slipping and sticking.

Check out Alan Tani's website for details on how to make the tool or PM me and I'll be happy to give you a couple.
Here is one of the links on bearings, grease and tools by Alan Tani.
http://www.stripersonline.com/surfta...d.php?t=626171
Alan describes how to make the tool.
As far as grease goes, try Cal's grease. Should be able to get it at a local tackle shop.

Here is a link for bearings that I found also.
http://www.bocabearings.com/main1.as...=crossref&pg=5
Lets_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 02:50 PM   #3
T-Rex

One note on the bearing tool...I found it helpful to loop some 3/8" rope through the eye and around my wrist to be able to pull harder.