Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 09-05-2016, 04:55 PM   #1
ivan1982

Kayak fishing SOLO

How many of you guys go kayak fishing solo? Most of the times i wanna go fishing my friends are busy and im wondering how many of you go by yourself, any recomendations if i do it?
ivan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 05:17 PM   #2
LSmoot

I go solo, but only because it is so difficult to coordinate schedules. I'd prefer to be with someone else. My advice would be to put as much stress on safety as possible. Here are some things I do whether I'm alone or with a partner:

- Never assume other boats will see you
- Always wear a PFD
- Carry a VHF and know how to use it
- Carry a whistle or other loud device for getting attention
- Always be aware of your surroundings, and other boats
- Always carry drinking water
- Carry a cell phone
LSmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 05:20 PM   #3
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan1982 View Post
How many of you guys go kayak fishing solo? Most of the times i wanna go fishing my friends are busy and im wondering how many of you go by yourself, any recomendations if i do it?
No other choice. Only yaker within 150 miles.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 05:40 PM   #4
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
If you go to la jolla......

There's always someone at the launch you can hookup with I go alone but all is welcome to join me as long as you don't tangle my lines most important make sure you have a compass mounted on your kayak incase the fog comes in your electrical can fail
Old 09-05-2016, 05:48 PM   #5
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I've been kayak fishing for 4 years and not once have I been out with anyone.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:32 PM   #6
jbl_91762

'I've only been fishing for 2 months and have made a kayak buddy who is new too, while fishing Newport Beach and we now go almost every Saturday. Before that I went out Dana Point Headlands with my cousin once in pretty bad conditions but was greatful he assured me we would be fine. Im glad he did cause now I feel more confident going solo, but I only stay closer to shore and Kelp beds. I would not go too far solo until I gain more experience but like others say cell phone a minimum and VHF in case you need serious help and cell wont work.
jbl_91762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:41 PM   #7
FISH11

I always go SOLO. Love the peace and quiet. I often see others I know out there and some times don't mind, hanging out or fishing together. I never let it stop me because friend don't go. It's about spending time on the water relaxing and letting all the Bull Shit that happens to you in life just Fn.. fade away. If you get lucky, you also bring home dinner.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:49 PM   #8
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post

Ill go with you bro.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:58 PM   #9
Zed
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
Ill go with you bro.
Lol
Old 09-05-2016, 07:05 PM   #10
east county dirtbag

I've never been kayak fishing with anyone else and it seems like it would be awkward... too many group decisions if you're on a personal boat.
east county dirtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:17 PM   #11
tamddo714

I like fishing solo. So when you skunk you can't blame anyone except for yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tamddo714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:27 PM   #12
ful-rac
Emperor

Just go fishing

If you have to wait for someone to go fishing with you, you'll never go. Just go, but try not to do anything that's beyond your range or ability. Be careful of the weather.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:57 PM   #13
ivan1982

Thank you for all your advices and i hope to meet some of you in the water
ivan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 06:36 AM   #14
PapaDave

98% of the time I fish solo, if I wait for a friend to have time available I would not get out very much.

It is kind of nice though, you can explore and concentrate on fishing.

Make sure you have your PFD on and a radio and you'll be fine.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:07 AM   #15
Mr_Fixit

I also go out solo, though I try to team up with someone else. It never seems to work out. My preference would be to head out with someone else.

As for safety, I was out in LJ yesterday bounce balling for some Halibut. This huge yacht starts heading my way. I start waving my paddle at him since he is heading straight at me. The pilot waves back, so he definitely saw me. He passes in front of me at a decent clip about 30 feet away. The wake sent me nearly vertical. Stupid prick! His buddies sitting on the back of the boat waved, so I gave them the one finger salute.

Its good to be safe. Its good to be prepared. But always count on assholes.
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:25 AM   #16
NICKWORN

New Seaforth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Fixit View Post
I also go out solo, though I try to team up with someone else. It never seems to work out. My preference would be to head out with someone else.

As for safety, I was out in LJ yesterday bounce balling for some Halibut. This huge yacht starts heading my way. I start waving my paddle at him since he is heading straight at me. The pilot waves back, so he definitely saw me. He passes in front of me at a decent clip about 30 feet away. The wake sent me nearly vertical. Stupid prick! His buddies sitting on the back of the boat waved, so I gave them the one finger salute.

Its good to be safe. Its good to be prepared. But always count on assholes.
Same happened to me on Sunday, that young fat ass of a captain came barreling down on my buddy and I to the point I had to turn around and head even farther out( we were in 150+ ft of water), afterwards I turned an took the swell head on so it didn't flip me. That captain is a douche bag, him and his little posse that are always on that boat.
NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:33 AM   #17
taggermike

Ive been yak fishing over 17 years and back then there weren't many people to go with. I lived on the outer Banks of NC for a year 8 years ago and saw exactly 1 other yak angler in that time. I meet people at the launch and on the water but it just doesn't occur to me to set up meetings in advance or to have trips hinge in others availability. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:57 AM   #18
Dirty Curti

I often launch alone but anyone is welcome to hang with me. I tend to like to cover some ground out there so I am often moving around. I am not trying to avoid anyone just looking for fishy areas.

Happy to have anyone along if not I am fine with that too as the serenity is divine. Dang, that sounds like a poem.

Just go fishin'!

Dirty Curti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:44 AM   #19
Mr_Fixit

Ok guys. You ever see a dude in a blue Outback wearing ocean blue clothing and a blue PFD, its probably me (Yeah, I like Blue... whatever!). Say Hi. We can hang out. Hopefully we can get more fish as a team.

I am needing to stock up on some YT. Co worker is heading out on a huge salmon fishing trip and wants to trade some YT for Salmon. Sounds like a deal to me.
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:14 AM   #20
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Buddy System is good, but it's only one safety precaution. It depends on circumstances. Two fools out together may not be an assurance of safety. "Blind leading the blind" ... yada, yada.

There are many other things to consider. Common sense and foresight is what keeps us relatively safe over being naive or foolish or reckless. Personal experience and general awareness of what we are doing counts for a lot. Think things through and be prepared.

I usually go alone. That doesn't mean I am alone. It's so much easier to move at our own pace and I enjoy the flexibility of not waiting or conforming to what others might want to do.

I think I'm safety conscious. I try to think through safety equipment, tools for repairs, first aid for accidents and backup options if we run into trouble. I always watch the weather, whether I'm fishing or not. If fog is possible I watch the temperature and dew point. As a pilot, we anticipate possible fog when the air temperature and dew point are within 4 degrees of each other. I don't know what standards are used by boaters, but 4 degrees works for me.

I always enjoy meeting new friends and other fisherpeople on the water. I'm happy to share whatever I have. It's rare that there is not someone else in the vicinity. I'm available to help anyone in distress, as I think most other kayakers and boaters are. It's a good community.

As a former adventure traveler, I always left home alone, but rarely was alone during my travels. There are already people everywhere we go. Always interesting people to meet and enjoy as part of our travel experience. Kayak fishing is similar, IMHO.

Have fun. Life is sweet.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 09-06-2016 at 10:36 AM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote