Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2011, 12:35 AM   #1
carbonbass

One crazy night (with a little bit of fishin) CDM/NPH

Wow, tonight has to be one of the most memorable nights of fishing for me in a long time, i almost got my ass handed to me in the yak, and i kayaked on a water treadmill.

I got off work and got home around 7, I was thinking about CDM kelp all day and how i wanted to try a night bite. I got to K street and launched (didnt want to launch off the wall at M with the water that high.) Wind was up but didnt seem too bad in the harbor, probably would be ok outside.... WRONG. Once i made my way to the CDM kelp i was asking myself (are u fucking crazy justin?) White caps all around me, washing mashine like conditions, and rollers that made me nearly puke my guts out. The wind was just getting worse and worse while i was there. Not exactly easy to fish in conditions like this and i started to fear for the worst especially since the current was sucking me towards the inside of the breakers, so i started to paddle back in.

The paddle was not easy and i took on a lot of water, luckily i think the mini-x is actually a lot more user friendly in these conditions than some of the bigger yaks (think about maneuvering a short board surf board in harsh conditions as opposed to a longboard, much quicker turning and absorption). But nonetheless i was shitting bricks. Really unhappy with myself putting myself into a situation like that.

Once i got inside the harbor mouth i felt a sigh of relief, i was definitely lucky, i hadnt lost anything (including my life :lol: ). But i realized i wasn't relieved yet. Turns out it took so long i got back when the harbor started to drain, the outgoing was incredibly strong, and the current was racing. there were moments when my kayak wasnt moving because i wasnt paddling hard enough.

i finally make it back to about where my car is, and by this time its 1045, it took me over 2 hours to paddle back to my spot, which it took 20 minutes to get to the mouth, my arms were burning!

I start to think about leaving, but i realized i was right next to the moor'd boats, ah what the heck, the currents ripping lets see if anything wants to play. The first drift i got hit 4 times and missed all 4. I reset the drift (about 30 yard drifts) , and got sllammed by a nice 13 or so inch sand bass. I reset the drift again and got hammered by another nice sandie, this one was pushing 17-18 inches, very nice harbor sandie. Did 1 more drift and got a 15 inch class spottie, wow the bass were chewing right in front of my parking spot the whole time :lol: . I was too tired and the current was dying at this point so i decided to call it a night.

Heres the finale and best part of the trip lol. I slide back onto the sand at K street, only to see a dark figure walking up towards me. Great, i realize its one of your typical rich paranoid assholes that newport has to offer.

Rich prick: do you know what time the beach closes.
Me: 10 o' clock, i just got done fishing, i just need to put my kayak on top of my car and ill be out of your way.
Rich prick: Yea your on the beach, and it closes at 10, get out of here before i call the police, they'll help you leave quicker."
Me: you know im allowed to kayak after 10 right?"
Rich prick: but your not allowed on the beach, and your on the beach, ill go call the cops cuz apparently you need to be taught a lesson.
Me: hey, im just trying to fish and have a good time, ill just go home right now its not a big deal.
Rich prick: i know that, but were trying to have a neighborhood and your not allowed here. Alright mr [reads my license plate number] get out of here, and if i ever see you again ill have you arrested for vacancy
Me: you dont have to be such an asshole for no real reason....
Rich prick: your the asshole pal.

Will never forget this insane night of BS + 3 quality bass night
8)

carbonbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:50 AM   #2
Salty Dog
loves bacon

No Fun For You

That old man was right. You are not allowed to have a good time in Newport Beach. The Fun Police will put a stop to that. Nice going on the basses!
Salty Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:44 AM   #3
sterling

Wow. I guess it is true, some people really have sticks up their butts. I guess a proper response could have been something like this. "Well I have to load up my gear before I can leave, so do what you got to do." Then quit talking to him. By the time the cops would have arrived, (if they'd bother) you'd been long gone. We had a neighbor declare "THIS IS WAR!". Then proceeded to play some acid death metal at rock concert levels with speakers on our fence for about 1/2 hour. Multiple neighbors called he cops. They showed up over an hour later. I think you'd have enough time to load up and drive away.
sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:52 AM   #4
Iceman
Administrator

I fish Newport at night and hoop outside . I always try to be very considerate landing, knowing the beach closes at 10PM. I get pissed when people are talking loudly on the street outside my house after 10pm. Yes, the guy sounds like a prick. I have yet to run into anyone like that. I think the beach being closed is a little bit of a grey area in landing and launching.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:36 AM   #5
flydigital

I used to fish NPH all the time as a kid.

I remember a fun incident... was fishing with a buddy from a location that was closed after 10 or something like that... well it was midnight and we didn't realize it was closed. After about 20 minutes of fishing 4 cop cars screech up, they all get out and tackle us both, knees in the back, guns drawn and everything. After they realized we were kids they slowed down a little but not much. They said they got multiple reports of two men with a machete or a sword terrorizing people and vandalizing the area.

Then they found our small fillet knife (we were cutting macks, shark fishing), it was on my buddy's belt in a sheath and they completely flipped out (I guess they didn't see it originally and it surprised them). We were interrogated and harassed for about 2 hours and the whole neighborhood was out there watching... well at least 20 people. My buddy was graciously "let off" from a carrying a concealed weapon charge, but they took the knife and all our gear and gave us tickets. I remember many of the people booing when they let us go.

Anyway I haven't been back to NPH since and have no desire to.
flydigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:55 AM   #6
Amish Ed

Not the wisest choice going out when it's that rough, and alone to boot. Glad you made it back OK and got some fish too. As for Newport, It's Irvine with saltwater. Residents and cops can be jerks, but like everywhere there's some nice ones too.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:15 PM   #7
FishinReelDeals

Hate A-holes

I usually go off when someone approaches me like that. I'm glad to see you kept your cool. Ive only been spear fishin around cdm, and seen alot of small wsb. I always hear of someone yankin a nice one from their, but not on my watch.
FishinReelDeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:06 PM   #8
carbonbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinReelDeals View Post
I usually go off when someone approaches me like that. I'm glad to see you kept your cool. Ive only been spear fishin around cdm, and seen alot of small wsb. I always hear of someone yankin a nice one from their, but not on my watch.
Are they suspended most of the time? Wonder if a crank or trolley MAC along the edge could be productive. Probably lots of juvies cuz of the pens inside the harbor
carbonbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:51 PM   #9
FishinReelDeals

Cdm

Their either near the bottom , or up on the surface. I never got a legal out of cdm, but my dad has. When I get my pc put together all send you a pic. If I told you how big it was, well you know how fish story's go!!---
FishinReelDeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:56 AM   #10
yaksailor

Too bad you had to deal with such an arse. I would have told him to go ahead and call the cops. The cops are probably tired of that fool keeping them on his speed-dial. I agree, that the cops would put that call on a low priority, lower than Winchell's.

If you're not leaving trash around or disrupting the peace, who cares?
yaksailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:04 PM   #11
Slappy

Cops don't give a shit about this. I would tell that guy to go f himself. Cops don't want to cut paper on a victimless trespass. A priority 4 call won't get them there anytime soon. Just make sure you are off the beach. Put your yak on the side walk and your gear. The cops can't cite you for an infraction not committed in their presence. Being a muni code infraction the asshole can't do a private person arrest. I launch their all the time and come in later than 10 some night when i hoop. Ive never had a problem.
Slappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:50 PM   #12
maui jim

Next time...... bring your Range Rover, and tell them you live on the inner bay street, cause you have "new money" and have a nice bottle of Cab wine to smooth things over, offer him some caviar in case they become unruley, and for Gods Sake Man Never offer Cigars, for that will set upper crust off, and mention Yale or Harvard alot, and you should be OK...