Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2011, 06:28 AM   #1
joe tuipala
Junior

The new kayak launch (childrens pool) . it insane how many seal and SEALIONS there are now . I swim in the caves and cove with 700 lb. sealions , my daughter and I have named a few . I have never in 38 yr in our waters seen , so many Mammals . if the seals over pop. the DGF will have to step in , then see what the seal lovers do . My family and I use to hang out at the childrens pool , until not so friendly people started hanging around the wall . so we moved to casa beach and get pounded . thanks for being friends of the seals boyz .
joe tuipala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:50 AM   #2
taggermike

I had my girls down at the childrens pool area last summer and listened to the information, er, mis-informatiom the FOS ladies were giving out. I suppose thier little speech might go over with people who knew little or nothing about seals, the ocean, marine biology, or history. Thier's is an emotional appeal that works great on people like them. They can not understand how or why you could disagree with them because they know they're right. The FOS rep told me that seals have been pupping on this beach for thousands of years. I said that the childrens pool beach was an artificial construction that is not very old. She said there was a beach here before the sea wall was built and the seals used that beach for thousands of years. I pointed at the California flag, you know, the flag of the "Bear Flag Republic" and told her that grizzlies used to roam all over our state, including our beaches, and that seals would never pup on a coastal beach where bears lived. She looked at me with a superior patronizing look on her face and told me I didn't know what I was talking about. Ya right, that must be it. Great job not letting these wakos drive you off your beach. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:26 AM   #3
Billy V

I've been breaking their balls for years now.
They get - what they give.
A good technique is to get a parking spot directly in front of their Hot Dog Table and fire abuse directly at them. Bright lights, loud music, and truck horns work well.

Hitler Speeches played on the stereo make them crazy. Leave your camera on the dashboard - they don't like being on the other side of the lens.
-Give it a try. lmao

Last edited by Billy V; 01-30-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:36 PM   #4
wavster

I took my daughters to the Children's Pool a couple of years ago. My
youngest said she thought the stuffed animal toy seals were cute.

While in ear shot I said to my daughter, yes, they're cute, but
wouldn't it be better if they made them out of REAL seal skin?

The lady at the table nearly freaked out. I thought she was
going to call CPS.

Between the "dogs" on the beach and the "sea kittens" in the water,
I'm not sure there's any room for humans any more.

If only La Jolla wasn't so urbanized, the coyotes would come out
of the canyons and feast on some of those pups to keep the numbers
down. Who's protecting the rights of the coyotes, for taking away their
food source?
Old 01-30-2011, 05:38 PM   #5
Hunters Pa

When you go sit on the beach in your lawnchair take along your fish club. Just in case you want a new jacket
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:45 PM   #6
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Here is some information for those who may want to have a discussion with the FOS folks down the road.

I grew up in La Jolla. There were no seals or seal lions at the CP during my time there. It was a wonderful protected beach that was great for... well, children. I learned to snorkel there and at the Cove.

There is a rock a few hundred yards up the coast called Seal Rock. There is a reason for this name. That is where all the seals hung out. I can't remember if the were seals or seal lions back in the day but they hung out there because no one could get close enough to bother them, (including the occasional California Grizzly Bear I assume).

Some people say that the harbor seals that are there now are the descendent's of some injured animals, rehabilitated by Sea World. I am not sure if that is factual, but it could be. Most of the pinnipeds that I remember being in the area as a kid, were sea lions.

The CP was constructed way before my time and I have no idea what the beach looked like before the wall was built. I can assure you that it was never a seal rookery, however.

The next time someone wants to get into a discussion with one of the FOS folks, maybe you should ask them if they can provide some shred of proof to back up their claims. I am certain that when pressed, these folks will start blabbering nonsense.

Losing the CP is a tragedy for the coming generations. It happened because the City of San Diego was unwilling to spend the money needed to return the place to the pristine state that it was in before the seals moved in, as they were ordered to do by the courts.

This is a lost battle. I have no hope of things ever returning to its former state. That doesn't mean that we can't still have some fun harassing the FOS folks.

Count me in.

Bob

Last edited by dsafety; 01-30-2011 at 08:14 PM.
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:03 PM   #7
dorado50

I vote for bob to lead the charge!lets us know how you want to proceed.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote