Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2014, 07:18 AM   #1
ricka58
Junior

Any thoughts on OK Torque vs Hobie PA?

I recently moved to San Diego and was forced to sell my boat. Kayak fishing looks like a lot of fun, but I've never paddled and I'm a novice fisherman so hands free fishing seems to be the way to go. That said, the two most reasonable options look to be the Hobie PA and the Ocean Torque. The Hobie looks like a great choice for stability and gear storage, but its pretty heavy, I'm getting old (60), and my knees are starting to feel their age. The Torque seems like a good choice, but I haven't read much about its stability. I'm going to take some lessons before I get started and will fish the bays and the bridge, but eventually I'd like to fish the LJ kelp and Baja. Any feedback would be really appreciated.
ricka58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 08:00 AM   #2
kayakfisherman

Rick,

You've concluded that:

"I've never paddled", plus, "I'm a novice fisherman", equals:

"I need hands free" and, "I need trolling motor"

There's no such thing as hands free. On a hobie, one hand is on the rudder 80-90% of the time. Trolling motor? Very rarely do you see a SoCal kayakfisherman with a trolling motor.

You're 60 with bad knees, but you want to peddle? Just moving to-and-from
with a Hobie ProAngler 14 will put an end to your knee problem...

You want storage. All hobies have poor storage because of
the Mirage Drive.

You've drawn many conclusions already, without the benefit of experience.

Don't be so quick to discount the exercise benefits of paddling. There's alot
of paddle kayaks that will help you enjoy the learning curve of kayakfishing.

Ease into the sport. Try lots of things. That way, your experience will help you draw realistic conclusions. Good Luck!
kayakfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 08:42 AM   #3
tacmik

Head down to OEX on mission bay. Talk with them on what your concerns are and what might be best for you. They will let you demo different yaks before buying. I am also your age and have been paddling with no problems and you learn real quick how to fish and paddle at the same time.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:57 AM   #4
Saba Slayer

Hands free

Hi Rick
Please PM or email me and we'll talk...I was on the Ocean Kayak fishing team for about 10 years and I used a Torque a lot the last couple of years while I was with them.
I'm now on the Hobie Fishing team and I have a PA 14 and an Outback.
I loved my Torque, it caught a lot of fish...it paddled well and the motor system is among the best but it was no where close to being as stable or as comfortable as my ProAngler 14. The Hobie Mirage Drive may not be best for you with a pair of deteriating knees, so maybe a trolling motor setup in your PA might be in order. I have a MotorGuide trolling motor that I've rigged for my PA that works great. Don't listen to the young guys when they poo-poo the trolling motors...whatever gets you on the water and happy is whats important...not the elitist attitude of some young paddlers or peddlers!
Fast Lane...Dana Point Jet Ski...and OEX are all great places to try out a kayak and see what fits you...all three are on the water and will enable you to try out a few models...Kayaks are like shoes...one pair doesn't fit everyone, so you need to get out there and see what works best for you and fits your on the water and off the water storage requirements and the type of fishing you'll be doing.
I'm 63 and I can relate to the effects of getting older. If you need more info on the trolling motor setup for the Hobie's just let me know.

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:12 AM   #5
ful-rac
Emperor

Poo Poo! Poo Poo!
Old 11-01-2014, 09:30 AM   #6
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Poo Poo! Poo Poo!
Tony that PA of yours is getting heavy, what are YOU going to do when you cannot get it to the water? Have Frank tote it around for you? BTW Tony, I am looking for a utv for Gonzaga to get our yaks to the water easier.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:43 AM   #7
Saba Slayer

Young guys???

Don't listen to the young guys OR THE MIDDLE. AGED FLUFFY PEDDLERS when they poo-poo the trolling motors...whatever gets you on the water and happy is whats important...not the elitist attitude of some young paddlers or peddlers!
THAT'S RIGHT, I SAID " FLUFFY "...! LOL!

Last edited by Saba Slayer; 11-01-2014 at 10:15 AM.
Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 11:41 AM   #8
ricka58
Junior

Thanks all

Thanks for the feedback everybody. I'm definitely going to take a few test runs before I do anything.
ricka58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:48 PM   #9
ericko

I have a pa 12 and love it I also have a torque and enjoy it also it just depends on what I'm doing or how I'm feeling....
ericko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 02:54 AM   #10
Deamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobob View Post
what are YOU going to do when you cannot get it to the water? Have Frank tote it around for you?
I think I'm starting to figure you out Bob...you're a sum beetch troublemaker!!!
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote