Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2009, 08:47 PM   #1
ericko

magnets????

I have a curado 200 and a shimano citica that i just get frustrated with cause of the number of birds nest that i make ....Awhileback someone posted about magnets that helped reduce this problem...Can i get help with with this..

THANKS
ericko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:13 PM   #2
Grego

Have you adjusted the cast control? that should prevent your birds nest but you won't be able to cast far, after you get use to it then you can release the cast a little at a time.
Grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:26 PM   #3
Billy V

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericko View Post
I have a curado 200 and a shimano citica that i just get frustrated with cause of the number of birds nest that i make ....Awhileback someone posted about magnets that helped reduce this problem...Can i get help with with this..

THANKS
Have you tried casting an Avet with Magic Cast?
It doesn't get any easier to cast long distance.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:26 AM   #4
ericko

Grego yes i have and ya i dont cast very far

Billy V no i have not tried an Avet
Old 11-17-2009, 06:47 AM   #5
forefrazier

Quote:

THANKS
Let's be honest. How much do you practice? If you simply go out and try and fish it and do not have a lot of experience actually casting, it will not be much fun. The Curado has to be one of the easiest reels to cast with as that is what it is made for. Forget about the magnet BS and just put on about a 1/2 ounce to 3/4 ounce weight on the end and get to one of your local parks or better yet lakes. A few things:

1. Too light a bait/lure for the line# and rod will make it more difficult to cast.

2. ALWAYS make sure your line is wet before trying to cast.

3. Don't try to be a distance hero. A smooth cast to where you want it to go is much better than shooting for the fences and ending up with the dreaded 'birds nest'.

Here is a good article from down under (NZ) on casting a conventional reel.

http://www.bishfish.co.nz/articles/s...atbacklash.htm

Good luck and PRACTICE more.

-Steve
forefrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:23 AM   #6
steveooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by forefrazier View Post
Let's be honest. How much do you practice? If you simply go out and try and fish it and do not have a lot of experience actually casting, it will not be much fun. The Curado has to be one of the easiest reels to cast with as that is what it is made for. Forget about the magnet BS and just put on about a 1/2 ounce to 3/4 ounce weight on the end and get to one of your local parks or better yet lakes. A few things:

1. Too light a bait/lure for the line# and rod will make it more difficult to cast.

2. ALWAYS make sure your line is wet before trying to cast.

3. Don't try to be a distance hero. A smooth cast to where you want it to go is much better than shooting for the fences and ending up with the dreaded 'birds nest'.

Here is a good article from down under (NZ) on casting a conventional reel.

http://www.bishfish.co.nz/articles/s...atbacklash.htm

Good luck and PRACTICE more.

-Steve
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:29 AM   #7
Grego

wait a minute....you're from texas and you can't cast a big mouth bass reel? whodathunk?!

Here's a tip on how I learned to cast when I was a little kid. Tie a 1/4 - 1/2 ounce "something" on, heavier the easier....stick your rod out in front of you and parallel with the ground...then release the cast button and watch the weight drop to the ground...it should move down slowly and smoothly....if it just drops down fast then you need to tighten the cast control so it is slow and steady. Then just practice casting, and like the previous post the line should be wet so if you're not casting into water keep pouring water on the line.

Also, do those reels have the casting pins in them? they are little plastic adjusting pins inside the reel. You can adjust those also...I once had them come out of position unevenly and I was going crazy thinking I forgot how to cast. I think they are called Variable Breaks....adjust those correctly by the manual. ***VERY IMPORTANT***

On those reels you should be able to work your way down to a wooden clothespin. If it doesn't work out, then use spinning reels, no shame!!! they're just bass.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:00 AM   #8
Fiskadoro

Quote:
First off the question I'd ask is: Are you casting mono or spectra?

The reason is that with Mono with those reels your not going to a get significant advantage by magging either of them.

So I'm going to assume your talking about casting spectra.

If you are casting spectra I'd just switch to an ABU Revo STX or if you want to go cheap a Revo SX. Their both magged and work perfect for spectra.

Most don't realise it unless they have played around with magged reels but a magged reel casting spectra will outcast the same size unmagged reel, even if you have spectra on both of them. The reason is you can cast harder without backlashing, and spectra with it's lack of stretch is more likely to backlash, especially if you try and cast hard, especially if your casting with a fast taper rod.

With spectra even if you only backlash once, even with a small backlash you have significantly weakened your line as when it snarls up the spectra pulling against spectra on the spool significantly wears the line, so when casting spectra I do not want any bird nests even minor ones.

Since I do not like having to cut off spectra having to re-do my topshots on the water, I just use magged reels for spectra.

That said there is no point in Magging small reels like yours as thre are plenty of reels around in that size range that can be purchased over the counter already magged and ready to go for spectra.

The only relatively inexpensive saltwater reel other then the Avet Magic cast (which in my book is expensive) you can buy is the Penn 525mag and it's excellent reel for casting 30 and 40 pound spectra with 20 to 30 topshots.

That Penn is a great reel because you can adjust your mag to fit your baits weight, and actually adjust the mag setting mid cast: starting heavy, slacking it off in the middle, then back on for the end, while your bait is in the air, for maximum distance.

You just can't do that with do it yourself magging.

That said the Penn 525mag is a little light on drag once you get past thirty pound. So I do my own reels as well and posted here about it in the past. I've magged several of my reels. Avet Sx's and Jx's, Daiwa Saltist 20's and 30's and it has it's merits.

Rather then dig up the posts.... you can just read up on how to do it on my stupid myspace fishing blog here:

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?f...ndId=451418044

Read it and figure if it's for you... Easy enough but the trick is in the fine tuning.

When you mag your own reel your setting up with only one mag adjustment for the reel. It's set so you got to figure out before hand exactly what you need or what you're going to use it for.

Some reels I intentionlally over mag for situations where I'm casting really heavy baits like live macks to billfish, where I want absolutely no chance of backlash. Other reels I slightly under mag for casting distance.

Here's a Daiwa Saltist 20 I magged light for distance with a tuna I caught with it recently.

It works great but that day out of maybe a hundred casts off the bow for boiling tuna I backlashed once. I was trying to get some extra distance to hit a huge tuna I saw, and I backlashed the cr@p out of it. Then I had to cut off about a hundred feet of forty pound spectra. Since the reel holds something like 400yds of forty it did not make a big difference for the trip but it was a pain, and a lost a lot of crucial fishing time doing it, where I could of been casting at other tuna.

Since I was not going to take a chance of a line flaw causing me to loose my next yellowfin I had to do it but it did not make me happy to say the least. I guess what I'm saying is that maggin works good but you still can't get away from the idiot factor.... On the other hand if not for the magged reel and spectra I'd of had to drop down to twenty to get the distance I needed for those fish, and since there was some sixty pound fish in the mix I'd of probably would of lost one and possibly the only jig I had they were biting that day. Pros and Cons as they say...

At any rate it's pretty easy stuff to do. For me it's a no brainer. Just one more thing I can easily do to make things work better on the water. It takes me about ten minutes mag a reel and sometimes I set them up for magging without even taking them off the rod.

Pretty simple stuff... If you can change a tire you can mag a reel.

Good luck, Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 11-17-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:08 AM   #9
ericko

SO what your saying is practice and be patience......

EVERYONE THANK YOU FOR THE TIPS i will let you now how it goes
Old 11-17-2009, 11:19 AM   #10
ericko

Grego i have never been to texas but if you set up a fishing trip let me no..
Old 11-17-2009, 02:02 PM   #11
Siebler

Wrong Eric Grego

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 03:17 PM   #12
TCS

Incredibly Good Thread

Thanks!
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:40 PM   #13
Iceman
Administrator

be aware of the wind, much more likely to rat up into the wind.......educate your thumb!
Old 11-17-2009, 04:45 PM   #14
Grego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siebler View Post
Wrong Eric Grego
Ooohh....I thought this was Eric 'Hook'em Horns' with the "nice arse"!!!

Nonetheless....make sure your VBS system is in place...I looked it up, and I think you have them so put them in the right position!
Old 11-18-2009, 11:38 AM   #15
erinoo

[QUOTE=Grego;47441]Ooohh....I thought this was Eric 'Hook'em Horns' with the "nice arse"!!!

Greg..You better get your chit together..I think JoyJiggin is right there may be some sugar in that tank of yours..Im just sayin.love ya man...
erinoo is offline   Reply With Quote