Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2016, 10:35 AM   #1
Denis_Ruso

Fred Hall Show Impressions

For those that attended the Long Beach show this year, What was your impression of the show? Did you like it? What Was your favorite booth this year? Did you score a killer deal? What did you buy? Is there anything that you wish they had this year but didn't?

This was my first Fred Hall show this year and it was really nice to see some of the boats captains there who I have met over the years as well as meeting some of the owners of small lure companies. It really is a smaller community then I envisioned.

I didn't get a chance to explore or meet anyone at the kayak booths. I was in absolute love with the Saltwater tank that was nearby had with sheepshead, calico, sandbass, sculpin, cabezon, whitefish, a ray etc.

I scored a deal on some Krocodile style lures which were 5 for 10$ for 2-3 oz models made by a San Diego Company name Candy Bars. I also purchased my first spinner bait hand made by a smaller company Reebs Lures.

Learned some tips and tricks from the booths, and more seasoned anglers then myself. Found this cool bait company who makes their surface irons on a CNC machines which takes the guesswork out of the way the jig is going to swim. Comes at a whopping price of 25$ an iron though.

Left with some sore feet, an emptier wallet but with a smile on my face.

What did you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg attachment.jpg (61.2 KB, 532 views)
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:05 AM   #2
ful-rac
Emperor

I'm got tired after watching Dave Hansen for 5 minutes...Man talk about mr outta control excitement! Dis guy was yell'n and scream'n at everyone, jumpin' up and down flailing his arms around the whole time...
Old 03-07-2016, 12:16 PM   #3
surfisher

I scored two phenix abyss rods at the vintage guys booth for 90$ each. They were used but in mint condition. Also snagged some iron and some flouro.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:37 PM   #4
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
I didn't get a chance to explore or meet anyone at the kayak booths.
Huh.................

Old 03-07-2016, 01:03 PM   #5
Denis_Ruso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Huh.................
I see you guys didn't miss me with that full house

Showed up late in the day very hungover. And started at the other end. Didn't get to a lot of things.
Old 03-08-2016, 04:13 PM   #6
goletaslim
Junior

I ended up bring my gf on opening day and was a little bit worried she wasn't going to be patient with my addiction.

What I didn't expect was how well she guided me to the best deals the show had to offer, like buy this rod get this free product over there, get two of these lures get this free item from another booth.

She even managed to just get free stuff for being a women I suppose. A couple of 25yd fluoro leader spools, some t shirts, hats, and some small lures later I was stoked! I went on opening day so I assume all the vendors were excited and ready to toss out free swag to all the early birds.

Overall the show was great and there were some really cool people to meet and share words with. I'de go again for sure, even if I didn't plan on buying anything.
goletaslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 01:53 PM   #7
Luv2tug
Junior

I liked the show. I got alot of stickers to put on my new yak.
Dennis
Luv2tug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 02:36 PM   #8
bwana

Fish and Game Booth

My daughter had to pull me away from the DFG Volunteer (guys in white shirts) that was blatantly anti-hunting.

I was shocked that anyone representing the DFG would have that mind-set.

My deal of the day at the show... picked up a Penn Carnage rod for $49 at Turners.

Hit up the Shimano reel cleaning tables to spruce up an ol' TLD30II.

Lunch at the Irish Pub, The Auld Dubliner, across Pine from the convention center isn't what it used to be. Next year we will try a new place.
bwana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 02:52 PM   #9
usmp06
Shark Bait

Hog wild

I went hog wild and spent a ton of money. Bought a Lexa 400 and got a free boat rod. Also bought a nice Cousins blank 909 rod to have custom wrapped. My first one by the way. I think its the start of a new addiction. Also bought some gear for the kayak and some surface irons and other lures. Overall it was fun as always.
usmp06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 07:58 AM   #10
Denis_Ruso

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmp06 View Post
I went hog wild and spent a ton of money. Bought a Lexa 400 and got a free boat rod. Also bought a nice Cousins blank 909 rod to have custom wrapped. My first one by the way. I think its the start of a new addiction. Also bought some gear for the kayak and some surface irons and other lures. Overall it was fun as always.
Nice, what did you pay for your 400? I was eyeing them the whole time I was there.

I love my Lexa 300. Favorite reel I own. Did you do yourself a favor and get the Power handle?
Old 03-10-2016, 09:07 AM   #11
Dirty Curti

Should we bring business cards for fish bowl drawings and can we bring our dog with us to walk around?

Dirty Curti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:16 AM   #12
usmp06
Shark Bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis_Ruso View Post
Nice, what did you pay for your 400? I was eyeing them the whole time I was there.

I love my Lexa 300. Favorite reel I own. Did you do yourself a favor and get the Power handle?
I paid 250$ and got a free diawa rod with it. I think I saw them there cheaper though for 199$ oh well I fell in love with that reel and it was worth every penny. No I didn't get the power handle I didn't even think about that.
usmp06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:05 AM   #13
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Curti View Post
Should we bring business cards for fish bowl drawings and can we bring our dog with us to walk around?
Did not see many for biz cards, most seemed to be filling out a small form. If you have a rubber stamp that would be helpful. Saw "service dogs" ranging from full size to those that would fit in a blender.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:11 PM   #14
Denis_Ruso

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmp06 View Post
I paid 250$ and got a free diawa rod with it. I think I saw them there cheaper though for 199$ oh well I fell in love with that reel and it was worth every penny. No I didn't get the power handle I didn't even think about that.
Oh man, I would have picked one up as well at that deal. You are going to have to look into the power handle. Its a life saver, especially when you hook the bigger kinds.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:38 PM   #15
Bruntoj

Missing from Del Mar:

Well I'm disappointed. I've been waiting for the exhibitor list for Del Mar and now it's out I notice many, many absences compared to the LB show. A few I've noticed:

Lowrance, no learning center seminars (yes I'm a FF newbie)
Garmin
Humminbird LH French
Raymarine
Z-man
Plano
Maxima
Seaguar

I didn't expect so many well known brands to opt out of Del Mar. Wish I'd driven up to LB now. Neither Hobie nor Fast Lane are listed, but I know will be there, so maybe it's just poor list management....

http://www.fredhall.com/pages/san_di...exhibitors.php

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bruntoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:36 PM   #16
Shewillbemine
Junior

It was my first time going this year and I loved it so much, I went two days in a row! Bought myself some Costa shades, landing net, swimbaits and popcorn.
Shewillbemine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:56 AM   #17
inbx3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruntoj View Post
Missing from Del Mar:

Well I'm disappointed. I've been waiting for the exhibitor list for Del Mar and now it's out I notice many, many absences compared to the LB show. A few I've noticed:

Lowrance, no learning center seminars (yes I'm a FF newbie)
Garmin
Humminbird LH French
Raymarine
Z-man
Plano
Maxima
Seaguar

I didn't expect so many well known brands to opt out of Del Mar. Wish I'd driven up to LB now. Neither Hobie nor Fast Lane are listed, but I know will be there, so maybe it's just poor list management....

http://www.fredhall.com/pages/san_di...exhibitors.php

There was a Lowrance seminar. I attended on Sat and it was very informative. One of my buddies who has 4 units learned a lot from it. I too am a FF beginner and it helped me out. The guy gave a handout on how HE sets up his FF and info on how to use them. Just need to get out and try it. If you want a copy, let me know and I can try and scan/email to you.
inbx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:01 AM   #18
Bruntoj

Inbx3 - Sent you a message.

Bruntoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:22 AM   #19
Denis_Ruso

Quote:
Originally Posted by inbx3 View Post
There was a Lowrance seminar. I attended on Sat and it was very informative. One of my buddies who has 4 units learned a lot from it. I too am a FF beginner and it helped me out. The guy gave a handout on how HE sets up his FF and info on how to use them. Just need to get out and try it. If you want a copy, let me know and I can try and scan/email to you.
PMed. I want that handout.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:48 PM   #20
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwana View Post
My daughter had to pull me away from the DFG Volunteer (guys in white shirts) that was blatantly anti-hunting.

I was shocked that anyone representing the DFG would have that mind-set.

My deal of the day at the show... picked up a Penn Carnage rod for $49 at Turners.

Hit up the Shimano reel cleaning tables to spruce up an ol' TLD30II.

Lunch at the Irish Pub, The Auld Dubliner, across Pine from the convention center isn't what it used to be. Next year we will try a new place.
DFG is getting infiltrated with PETA
Harry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote