Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Buy, Sell, or Trade Kayak Fishing Gear
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2013, 10:34 AM   #1
sanjuancapokayak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Wave Dave View Post
I just leave the plug out of the bottom of the bait tank. The water level is lower, but the bait lasts longer due to the recirc of fresh water through the hole. Sometimes I don't even turn on the pump.
I will try that...Thank You. Just was excited to turn the tank on. Will have too now since the water that came in shorted something out. I'm a relatively new Kayaker as I have about 25 trips in me and started out last Fall and Winter. I work days in the Summer and can't get as many trips out there when the weather is warmer and it matters less that the trip is wet or dry. Also, I try to avoid the Weekend Summer crowds.

So to have cold water coming in and sitting in water...just ain't gonna cut it. Will keep you posted in the future on the outcomes in the fish report section. Willing to keep on making adjustments, but if I can't figure a solution then I may have to unload this thing or try and trade it for something that's dryer.
sanjuancapokayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:05 PM   #2
Dirty Curti

Thumbs up

I'm about the same weight as you 210, 215 sometimes 220 if we BBQ'd during the weekend. What I did for the bait tank was to remove the black slips in the drainage area, I tried drilling holes first but didn't work, and put large scupper plugs in there so it still has room to drain but keeps the dines and chovies in the tank. Also having the right amount of pressure flow into the well helps. It will also change depending on what bait your are keeping alive.

I've been testing the drain plug out to see if enough water flows in and out to keep the bait alive just in-case the battery runs out and it seems to work okay.

As far as water in the storage compartments i get very little in mine. It happens like you said as a wave or wake comes over the edge or even water dripping from the oar with every stroke but there are little drainage holes in the bottom of my storage bags.

But I do love my vessel for sure.

Dirty Curti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:34 PM   #3
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I've tried it with no pump and no drain plug in the bottom, and for me there just wasn't enough water in the tank (was only about half full) to keep a full scoop of chovies from being overcrowded in. It should work fine for a smaller amount of bait, or if you can't get the top drainage right with the pump on it may help to leave the drain plug out to help with drainage.

I'm also around 210 lbs, which is part of the reason I wanted the stealth's high weight capacity.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:55 PM   #4
ful-rac
Emperor

Heres an old post of my bilge pump set up on my stealth when i had it. Just like you i had the same problems....but i loved my stealth no doubt about that! If your interested check it out.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...lth+bilge+pump
Old 09-24-2013, 09:21 PM   #5
sanjuancapokayak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Heres an old post of my bilge pump set up on my stealth when i had it. Just like you i had the same problems....but i loved my stealth no doubt about that! If your interested check it out.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...lth+bilge+pump
Sweet Tony,
Just curious as to how often you saw water shooting out the side? Thank You for the post, appreciate the pics. That is a project that even I might be able to take on. lol

Whit-
Old 09-25-2013, 07:28 AM   #6
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjuancapokayak View Post
Sweet Tony,
Just curious as to how often you saw water shooting out the side? Thank You for the post, appreciate the pics. That is a project that even I might be able to take on. lol

Whit-
It was a manual system. I would flip the switch every once and awhile to see if I had any water in there. Usually on surf launches, or when I noticed that my bait tank was overflowing, and also on those rough days.

At times I would get gallons of water in there, but with the pump it wasn't a problem at all.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:29 AM   #7
sanjuancapokayak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
It was a manual system. I would flip the switch every once and awhile to see if I had any water in there. Usually on surf launches, or when I noticed that my bait tank was overflowing, and also on those rough days.

At times I would get gallons of water in there, but with the pump it wasn't a problem at all.
planning on copying your exact bilge, will let you know how it goes. Money is very tight for us now, so that will be the factor of when I can get started (and if I place in my fantasy baseball league or not... ha)

Whit-