Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 03-24-2014, 09:23 PM   #1
tim.gruber10
Junior

Learning Curves

Kayak fishing a new area for unfamiliar species can be a significant challenge. I started kayak fishing in Boston and was fortunate enough to be able to fish 3-5 days a week. I sometimes went weeks without catching a fish, but it was very satisfying to learn the water for myself. This is a perfect example of a shallow learning curve. The fish won most of the time, but occasionally I'd trick a few.

When I moved to San Diego, I knew I needed to steepen that learning curve. All new unfamiliar water and not to mention, lots of it! New species to target and completely different gear than what I was used to. I was fortunate enough to find Big Water's Edge prior to the move which helped a ton (so thanks BWE!). Reading the posts allowed me to quickly realize how challenging it can be to find and catch these Southern California trophy fish. This realization sparked my decision to research a local kayak fishing guide for hire. My research proved short lived though as the vote was seemingly unanimous. And I'm here to tell you why.

My first trip with, The Darkhorse, was back in July 2012 (the first weekend I lived here!). That one day turned out to be a great move on my part, as the knowledge gained instantly produced dividends. Angler after angler went in empty handed that day. The wind blew most guys off the water and things weren't looking so good (to me anyway). Josh on the other hand? Was supremely confident and knew he would find the fish. First lesson beyond gear and surf launching: don't get discouraged from empty handed anglers, a little tidbit of advice that's proven to be worth its weight in gold.

The way the day played out just blew my mind. Josh put more bend in my learning curve than a pissed off yellowtail on a Calstar 90J. And I had the time of my life in the process!

What's kind of cool about this photo, beyond the fact that it's my first ever Yellowtail on the end of that line? This brand new rod and reel was stolen from my kayak (at the La Jolla shores launch) the very next trip! Leaving me with what turned out to be the first and last photos of my setup.

On that day with Josh I caught my share of yellowtail and a huge Black Seabass. I kept two fish then Josh asked if I wanted to start releasing them. Watching my first big Yellowtail kick off with a huge splash was something I didn't expect. They just dart off like nothing happened; it's a really cool feeling. I was instantly hooked, what a rush!

After that I guess you could say the training wheels came off and I was fishing on my own. In the following weeks I was able to release over a dozen Yellowtail. I'm not here to brag about fish from two years ago though. The entire point of this post is to say that I just feel really blessed to have instantly been pushed to the front of the line. Without reading story after story from Josh's past clients (holding big fish of course) I would have never found the guy. So here's hoping this story of mine will save someone out there from years of discouraging results.

Enter two years of deployment in the Middle East! Comes with the territory. Oh how I wanted to be here relaxing in the sun with all of you. I spent most of my time just dreaming of big Yellowtail. I finally back from deployment in February and was never more ready to go pull on fish. I give my old friend Josh a call. Being winter I was aware that it's a new ball game. The forum is practically dead and my hopes of actually connecting weren't exactly high. Time is something I just don't have though, since my orders are up and I’m being banished back to the East coast. To my surprise Josh says let’s go and I'm instructed: "just bring two rods, this time it will be a completely different game."

My last trip I was on a Hobie Revolution with an inexpensive sonar (basically a depth finder!). Watching that guy sitting high and dry on the Pro Angler with his big screen T.V. (actually painting fish and the like), made me think. This trip? I was packed with all sorts of new weaponry, in the form of a sparkling Hobie Pro Angler 14 with a Lowrance Elite 7 HDI!!! I felt that I'd earned it and just looking at it made me feel like a kid in a candy store again. We met at the launch, and Josh walked me through how to properly cart my pro-angler, and how to launch the behemoth safely. All kinds of tips to really get the most out of the new toy. I'd occasionally had problems with my self-taught launching technique on my old Revo, so I was a little concerned about spending time in the surf. Josh walked me through it and it honestly couldn't have gone any easier. Once we were out, Josh got my fish finder all dialed in (something else that would have took months to figure out) and the hunt was on.

This trip we used the sonar much more than the previous. We would compare notes on school after school of fish looking at both units, which was a game changer for me. Not long into the trip, it was just like I never left, and this guy plops me onto a nice school of Yellowtail. Followed by me quickly doing the unthinkable - a ginormous backlash on the new jig stick! I needed to cast about 30 yards and completely choked. I was heartbroken and concerned that I'd blown the opportunity for the day. Fortunately, due to his never say die attitude, we got located hours later and I was blessed with another chance. Only this time I made a perfect cast.

With my favorite photographer/guide right next to me.

My first ever surface iron Yellowtail fight caught on camera. I couldn't be happier. Just look at the bend in that rod!

Sure as hell beats being the Middle East. If you ever smiled like this you'd have a mouth full of sand.

In short, you're not going to see this guy parading around the launch trying to drum up business. He's like a ghost. In and out - quiet as a mouse. You’re also not going to hear too many of these stories. Even though the guy is putting people on fish daily, hourly, all year long! I was politely asked to keep my fish quiet back on our first trip, which I did out of respect for his business. Then, once again, silence after my most recent success. Which I perfectly understand. However, I also know that without these tails, most guys like myself would never find themselves at the top of the food chain. And if that's where you'd like to be? Just realize that it's easily attainable with the right coach. I tried to keep it in, I really did, but I'm just so thankful for what this guy has taught me. So much in fact that it felt awkwardly selfish to hold back any longer.

The techniques he's taught me in a very short amount of time have proved invaluable. In fact, I've already signed up for Spring White Seabass classes. Fishing is a sport and like any other sport you can always benefit from a great coach. If your goal is to catch big fish from a kayak, especially in La Jolla, there's no better coach than The Darkhorse. Period. Just do yourself a favor - and thank me later.
tim.gruber10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:31 PM   #2
ful-rac
Emperor

WTF? I can see the game clip!!! You ruined the picture!

Nice tails congrats!
Old 03-24-2014, 09:42 PM   #3
Fish Taco

Awesome post Tim... and I hope Darkhorse is understanding of you wanting to share it with others... I for one am glad you did.

I recently relocated to Redondo Beach from Long Island after living in New York for 12 years. Even though I'm a SoCal native and have been fishing nearly all of my life, I just recently in the last few years got into kayak fishing and am addicted like everyone else here. I fished mostly in the Long Island Sound in my Stealth 14 and was just beginning to get dialed in on the East Coast fishery (Stripers, Blues, Fluke) when my wife accepted a job here in L.A.

I've got a lot to learn about fishing the Pacific in a kayak, and I've been thinking about making the drive south for a weekend to spend some time with a guide once or twice to help shave down the learning curve and help me get "dialed in"... Darkhorse has been on my short list so I'm really glad you posted this. I hope to be a client one day soon.

I'm 55 yrs old now, and I can't believe how fast that happened... but one thing I've learned thus far in life is... you never stop learning. Fishing is the same way as anything else... you keep learning all the time.

Anyway, thanks again for such a great post... and congrats on those beautiful fish too!

Redondo Beach, CA
2011 Malibu Stealth 14
Fish Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:47 PM   #4
JeffB

Very kickass post! Anything beats being over seas for sure, spent well more than my fair share of time there in Iraq and Afghan. Very good looking YT's!
Old 03-25-2014, 05:16 AM   #5
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

Great report and pictures. Thank you for sharing.
Bert Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:19 AM   #6
Sully1

Nice Job Tim. Looks like you went for a proper Fishing Education, and reaped the rewards! Hold on to thos new Saltist BG's!
Old 03-25-2014, 11:59 AM   #7
FISH11

Let me start by saying Thank You for your service and sacrifice! I appreciate you taking the time to go into detail all the reasons why it's invaluable to learn from a professional guide. I like the way they teach you to find and catch trophy fish. I think just as important is they teach you to only keep a small amount and release the rest safely, so as to enjoy the fight but keep the fishery strong. Catching the trophy and watching it swim away can be even more rewarding. I can tell in every picture the enjoyment and the smiles need no other explanation. Thank You for sharing. Tight Lines. Mark
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:26 PM   #8
bellcon

Wow
First thanks for your service, we are all owe you big time!
Great write up and pics!

I have head of this Josh guy for awhile, going to have to look him up some day
Old 03-26-2014, 05:29 AM   #9
blitzburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellcon View Post
Wow
First thanks for your service, we are all owe you big time!
Great write up and pics!
This!!!
Old 03-26-2014, 08:53 AM   #10
Smthtnnr
Fishing Addict

Ahhh the Darkhorse is good as it gets. Congrats on the sweet fish and knowledge!
Smthtnnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:06 AM   #11
lamb

Great report, great going!

Josh sure does a good job putting his clients on the fish out there.
No doubt that hiring a guide can shorten up the learning curve.
It's great to hear that you've been able to keep scoring on your own - you are either a fast learner, or you have plenty of time to spend out there

Do keep in mind - while a lot of principles stays the same, the things do change. From my experience, every year seems to be somewhat different story. What gives guides the advantage is the time they spend on the water. They are more likely to be keyed on whatever is going on (or not going on) at any given time of the year.

There's something to be said about figuring it all out on your own...
And nothing beats time on the water, for lucky folks that can afford it.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:22 AM   #12
Smthtnnr
Fishing Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamb View Post
Great report, great going!

Josh sure does a good job putting his clients on the fish out there.
No doubt that hiring a guide can shorten up the learning curve.
It's great to hear that you've been able to keep scoring on your own - you are either a fast learner, or you have plenty of time to spend out there

Do keep in mind - while a lot of principles stays the same, the things do change. From my experience, every year seems to be somewhat different story. What gives guides the advantage is the time they spend on the water. They are more likely to be keyed on whatever is going on (or not going on) at any given time of the year.

There's something to be said about figuring it all out on your own...
And nothing beats time on the water, for lucky folks that can afford it.
I agree, guides do always know what is going on. That being said, Josh does do a lot of things that no one else knows about or does, hence the ridiculous amount of fish he and his clients catch.
Smthtnnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:56 PM   #13
tim.gruber10
Junior

I'm fortunate enough that I get about 1 weekend off per month, so I fish hard on those two days. Gameclips in photo's aren't ideal, but Josh and I weren't about to miss out on a huge school of fish busting the surface 150 yards away.

Tight lines everyone, I'll be out there all weekend.
tim.gruber10 is offline   Reply With Quote