Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 09-13-2012, 06:23 PM   #1
dc1983

Question for Pro Angler 12/14 owners

I picked up a Pro Angler 12 last weekend and have taken it out twice now. The first time it was calm out for most of the day and I had no trouble controlling my drift but when the wind picked up it was pretty hard to control. Then when I took it out today it was impossible to drift as the PA kept turning perpendicular to the wind and when I would try and peddle it took some time for it to start turning.

Now here is my question- How do you control the drift? Would a drift chute help? Anyone else notice the steering doesn't work very well, when the wind picks up.

Thanks
dc1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:50 PM   #2
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1983 View Post
I picked up a Pro Angler 12 last weekend and have taken it out twice now. The first time it was calm out for most of the day and I had no trouble controlling my drift but when the wind picked up it was pretty hard to control. Then when I took it out today it was impossible to drift as the PA kept turning perpendicular to the wind and when I would try and peddle it took some time for it to start turning.

Now here is my question- How do you control the drift? Would a drift chute help? Anyone else notice the steering doesn't work very well, when the wind picks up.

Thanks
weren't you on an Outback before?
Old 09-13-2012, 06:53 PM   #3
dc1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbykr2 View Post
weren't you on an Outback before?
I was but I never had the trouble I had today controlling my drift.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:59 PM   #4
seriola_killer
Sled Peddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1983 View Post

Thanks
I control my drift (direction, not speed) using my rudder. My steering in my PA is all over the place regardless of wind. I'm always having to make rudder control adjustments on the water. Don't know if this is the norm, but I've only had it a relatively short time, so I just assumed it's the nature of the beast.

I see alot of the guys simply pointing into the wind and slightly pedalling. They seem to slow their drift that way.
seriola_killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:33 PM   #5
dc1983

My trouble is not the speed of the drift or the direction I'm drifting. It more the direction the PA is facing during the drift. My steering was all over the placed today as well, with a lot of lag time when I wanted to turn.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:10 PM   #6
ericko

I went from the outback to a pa12 and ive only hit a lake 3 times i to see a lag time with the steering and was wondering if there was a sailing type rudder upgrade..
ericko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:17 PM   #7
Drake

After a while you'll get the hang of it. Its a very manageable boat. If you crank the rudder and peddle tiny little quick strokes, it will durn on a time.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:07 PM   #8
deepdvr

Steering/drifting is a definite weakness on the PA. Its even more interesting when you are going for a sleigh ride. I know a few guys that are contemplating going back to the revo. Its still arguably the best yak fishing platform available but they also have room for improvement.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:30 AM   #9
OutdoorAdvntr

hi, not to hijack the thread. but i guess this is also related.. i'm wondering if you use anchor in the ocean? or it is only use in the bay? thanks!
OutdoorAdvntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:35 AM   #10
RockyRaab

I only use my Prangler 14 on lakes. I control drift speed and direction easily using a drift chute with the line fed through an anchor trolley. By moving the trolley ring forward or backward, it changes the angle of the hull to wind anywhere from parallel to perpendicular, and thus the direction of drift. I can drift bow or stern forward, as desired. Positioning the rudder helps, also.

As to response time, you do have to have forward speed for any rudder to work. As mentioned, a burst of "quiver" kicks on the pedals will give you enough forward motion to turn quickly.
RockyRaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:41 AM   #11
driftwood

My PA 14 turns on a dime unless iits windy and yesterday was real shoppy and windy. most everyone that was paddling left eary or got blown back to the launch.

I was comfortable in my PA inspite of inclement weather.
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:22 AM   #12
Iceman
Administrator

David, PA will definitely catch more wind than your Outback, you may want to use the anchor trolley and drift chute to keep it pointed where you want it in higher wind/stronger current.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:19 AM   #13
PapaDave

If the drift is in the 0.8-1.0 range I usually keep the kayak into the wind before setting the drift by slowly peddling into the wind. Or I will just use the side drift keeping the rudder hard to the left or right and keeping the peddles down. You can vary the angle and speeed by raising or lowering the peddles (not taking them out, just moving one peddle all the way forward) or by decreasing the angle of the rudder. Works real well once you get the hang of it. If the drift is faster I will use a drift chute to keep the nose pointed into the wind. I have an anchor also but only use the in the harbor or bays, not sure I want to use it in the open water, swells could be a big hazard there.

The steering on the PA can be a pain, you have to be moving for it to work. When you start moving keep the rudder straight for a few feet then turn. There seems to be a backwash when you start off with the rudder maxed to one side, the water forms an eddie that will cause you to go the opposite direction.

As mentioned before, you will get the hang of it, try to picture yourself in a big boat and how that responds to the steering and current.

Have fun
Old 09-14-2012, 06:58 PM   #14
dc1983

Thanks, everyone for the responses. I picked up a drift chute and going to go out on sunday at Dana Point and give it another try. Still like the PA 12, Imean there is so much room whats not to like.

Last edited by dc1983; 09-14-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:29 PM   #15
jorluivil

It takes some practice but you can point it in the direction you want using the rudder and the mirage drives. I've gone as far as lifting my rudder up and getting the drives in the up or flat position and letting the wind do its thing. Sometimes the bait tank will act as a sail and force the rear of the kayak to point downwind. Again, it takes practice but it is possible to make the kayak face the direction you want.....goodluck

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:59 AM   #16
RockyRaab

Good info, PapaDave. But those things we put our feet on are PEDALS
Old 09-15-2012, 04:21 PM   #17
Old Man in the Sea

Send a message via Yahoo to Old Man in the Sea
haha

nothing like teaching an old swap meet peddler how to pedal...
yea I thought I saw a kayak guy with big white sign selling live bait and he was having trouble controlling his drift because of the current and the wind blowing the sign...
Old Man in the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:59 PM   #18
Rufus

As to response time, you do have to have forward speed for any rudder to work. As mentioned, a burst of "quiver" kicks on the pedals will give you enough forward motion to turn quickly.[/QUOTE]

I apologize for being pickey, but it's not your forward speed, it's water flow over the rudder.

You can be anchored with zero forward speed and have plenty of stearage in a current.

But yes, to your point, give it a few kicks to get water flowing over your rudder and all of a sudden you'll have rudder response.
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:39 AM   #19
RockyRaab

Allow me to be picky (spelled correctly) right back at you: Forward speed IS water flow over the rudder. So is rearward speed, of course.

A boat anchored in current still has forward speed - relative to the water, which is all that counts. Motion relative to the bottom, or the dock, or the shore is irrelevant. You'd still have steerage (also spelled correctly.)