Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 07-23-2020, 04:06 PM   #1
JohnMckroidJr

Anyone Trying Kite Fishing Out West?

This is off SE Florida. It's a lot of work, but how sweet it would be to connect with a big Tuna.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KayakiteFishing2.jpg (52.8 KB, 103 views)
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 04:53 PM   #2
matthew7!

Looks sweet till the kite rod gets a big one and wraps around the far rod. Would be awesome to get a big tuna!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
matthew7! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 07:31 PM   #3
FullFlavorPike

I don't know anybody flying the kite off a kayak here. Lots of people kite fishing off boats though.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 08:56 PM   #4
fishnfoool

If the 100+lb tuna consistently come within 5 miles of shore, then I'll start.
fishnfoool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 07:47 AM   #5
SoCalEDC

I have seen a few guys kite fishing off of their boats out here. I know its a big time technique in Florida. They usually target sailfish out there with the kite right?
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 12:16 AM   #6
Salty

Kite fishing is my primary method for targeting jumbo bluefin tuna. I personally can't imagine a scenario where I would use a kite inshore like that, at least here in SoCal. especially from a kayak!! That's just gnarly lol... My buddy and I usually take his boat 5-15 miles southwest of San Clemente Island using large frozen flying fish as bait. It can be challenging, but it's super rewarding to see a cow blow up on your bait like a hand grenade! Pics are some personal best BFT from the kite(from a boat, not a kayak!). Biggest was last year weighing in at 295lbs after bleeding. So far, this year's best on the kite was last Friday at ~150lbs. Still have bruises on my rib and armpit from that fish! Flew the kite a bit today, but got skunked on the BFT. Paddies were LOADED with hungry YT though!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1111.jpg (53.9 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 222222.jpg (96.9 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2151.jpg (75.6 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by Salty; 07-25-2020 at 12:24 AM.
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 03:32 PM   #7
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Kite fishing is my primary method for targeting jumbo bluefin tuna. I personally can't imagine a scenario where I would use a kite inshore like that, at least here in SoCal. especially from a kayak!! That's just gnarly lol... My buddy and I usually take his boat 5-15 miles southwest of San Clemente Island using large frozen flying fish as bait. It can be challenging, but it's super rewarding to see a cow blow up on your bait like a hand grenade! Pics are some personal best BFT from the kite(from a boat, not a kayak!). Biggest was last year weighing in at 295lbs after bleeding. So far, this year's best on the kite was last Friday at ~150lbs. Still have bruises on my rib and armpit from that fish! Flew the kite a bit today, but got skunked on the BFT. Paddies were LOADED with hungry YT though!
Very Cool, thanks for sharing. Back when I lived in SoCal, a BFT run at Clemente meant 15lb test and a #6 hook to try to catch a 25lb fish. Glad to see a rejuvenation of these giant fish.
Old 07-26-2020, 03:55 PM   #8
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalEDC View Post
I have seen a few guys kite fishing off of their boats out here. I know its a big time technique in Florida. They usually target sailfish out there with the kite right?
The first kite anglers in sailfish tournaments were so successful at winning, that a few tournaments banned them. Nowadays they are the primary method for targeting Sailfish in Florida. Kites also produce incidental wahoo, king mackerel, blackfin and yellowfin tuna, Mahi, and any other pelagic that happens to swim by -- even swordfish.

Bluefin and Yellowfin are fluke incidentals off SE Florida, sometimes after an East wind -- blowing bait and predators over from the Bahamas or when the BFT's are migrating into the GOM to spawn. In the Bahamas, a yummy fake flying fish is sometimes trolled off a kite. I don't think anyone is using fresh frozen flying fish like the West Coast. The fishery is less predictable.

Kites are a challenge off a kayak, and not enough trying it to note any worthy catches. The potential is there.
Old 07-26-2020, 04:03 PM   #9
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew7! View Post
Looks sweet till the kite rod gets a big one and wraps around the far rod. Would be awesome to get a big tuna!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The beauty of the kite is that when one bait gets bit, the other line can stay out because the kite keeps the line clear of the water, and thus clear of the fish your fighting. In good conditions, during sailfish tournaments, some of the boats will put out up to 3 kites with 3 baits on each kite ( 9 rods in the holders waiting for a strike).