Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-05-2013, 05:36 PM   #21
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

and then you have cattle boats run right up your ass because they see your rods go bendo on a school of macks and you have 12 people throwing surface irons your way....

I've never had a problem fishing around personal boats and yaks. making small talk and keeping a good 50 yards away usually helps.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:37 PM   #22
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
However far you can cast X 2 is a good rule of thumb
does that mean the Kevin has to stay 300 yards away when throwing his irons?
Old 06-05-2013, 09:02 PM   #23
steveooo

Good discussion lamb, but you left out the fish report part

I like the 2X casting rule, and the common sense rule. I've been too close to someone when they hooked up, and because of that I caused them to lose a fish. I felt like such an ass. I still do. I don't really remember all the fish I have personally lost, but I always will remember the one I made someone else lose

Summer can be bad, but it can get even worse during a "bite". During a squid bite, or any bite where guys are soaking bait, the fleet stays pretty stationary. If you are going to move, reel up your lines and only pass other boats on their bow. Don't stop and set up shop directly off their stern. In those type of "bites" I've always had better luck hanging somewhere outside of the fleet.

The longer I kayak fish, the more I realize I like the solitude of it. I see people all day at work. It's nice to get away every once in a while....unless someone leaks that the and are chewing wfo. If that happens I'll see you guys down there
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:04 PM   #24
wade

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabojohn View Post
IMO its the new generation of kayak fisherman who are the idiots out there.
Warning shots accross the bow seem to work best...its a big ocean...stay waaay the fawk away from other boats / kayaks.
A-MEN! Googans on the loose!?

Clueless PB'ers are one thing, its another to have a fellow plastic brother completly clueless with proper OTW etiquette....After you get your gear situated and are ready to charge LJ, there is a lot more to know than tackle requirements before you jump into the deep end...

Greg is one highly skilled & cool guy, but there is a good reason why some call him the angry skiff guy...

Take notes!

& years ago on this glass day...check the wake straight into Greg T., where he could have easily let me break off on his anchor line..
Nope.
He totally saved this !!

Last edited by wade; 06-05-2013 at 11:40 PM.
wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:21 AM   #25
StinkyMatt

Talk to other people on the water. You will know whether you are too close or not. If fishing with people you know, the rules are different. If rock fishing with your buddies, it's clusterphuck time.

If you plan on getting anywhere close to another kayaker, ask if they have lines down and if not ask if you can pass behind them.....most guys will let you know if its cool or not.

If in doubt, or someone is not very talkative, give extra room.

I do want to add, as soon as people start going bendo see if all these 200 yd rules stay in place. I can tell you from my experience that as soon as you get on even the most experienced, highly respected, sponsored yak fishermen out there have a way of sliding in really close.

Common sense is not so common anymore.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:44 AM   #26
lamb

Keep it coming gang, great dope!
Tnx for sharing that Greg's video Wade, good stuff.

I am sure new kayakers will learn a lot,
I am hoping the number of boaters that keep an eye out on BWE will learn from this discussion too.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:13 PM   #27
Iceman
Administrator

Gotta share this fresh experience. Today I was doing the happy pedal in around 10am with a large greenback in tow. About 100 yards outside the reserve the greenback gets picked up and freight trains south and finally into the kelp. There is a boater in gear cruising into the path of the fish. I yell out that I have a fish heading at him, it is obvious, rod bent and moving fast, he just stared back and kept motoring. Around 25 feet away I yell that I am going to run right into him. He yells back all pissed off" Are you serious? I slammed into the side of the boat, fish still pulling drag, I have the rod in the water and am getting pushed around the stern right by that spinning prop thingy. Fish pops off as it rubs on something sharp and finally he tells his chick to take it out of gear. He lets loose with smoke coming out of his ears about me hitting his $50,000 boat and how I should have bjust backed off the drags. I just apologized as I had no intention of hitting his boat. Now if he had been anchored and not under power I would feel really bad. I like to think that I always try to take my share of the responsibility, this guy took none and showed me no courtesy, he could have easily taken the boat out of gear or turned the wheel to the left and I would have easily won Wades YT Derby
Old 06-06-2013, 06:02 PM   #28
dorado50

Wow, that sucks. Not much you can do about people like that. Too bad you had to lose the fish because of this arrogant soul. Worst part about it is that tomorrow there will be another guy like him right around the corner!
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:50 PM   #29
lamb

Ugh...

Andy, that really sucks.
That's that "the guys that don't pay attention" category...
And you had to apologize?!

There is just no excuse...
If you are out there, fishing on your beautiful $50K boat,
and if you don't know that any moment that kayaker off of your bow can be taken on a ride,
and turn into unpredictable sailboat whose wind has a plan of it's own,
you have no friggen place out there.

You should be banned from sharing these waters, for ignorance.

Sad part is that if that was the attitude the guy had,
he'll likely keep it forever -
he is not the type that will read forums such as this, trying to learn more about what he's trying to catch (I suppose)

Thanks for sharing that Masta
Old 06-06-2013, 08:57 PM   #30
steveooo

Quote:
Gotta share this fresh experience. Today I was doing the happy pedal in around 10am with a large greenback in tow. About 100 yards outside the reserve the greenback gets picked up and freight trains south and finally into the kelp. There is a boater in gear cruising into the path of the fish. I yell out that I have a fish heading at him, it is obvious, rod bent and moving fast, he just stared back and kept motoring. Around 25 feet away I yell that I am going to run right into him. He yells back all pissed off" Are you serious? I slammed into the side of the boat, fish still pulling drag, I have the rod in the water and am getting pushed around the stern right by that spinning prop thingy. Fish pops off as it rubs on something sharp and finally he tells his chick to take it out of gear. He lets loose with smoke coming out of his ears about me hitting his $50,000 boat and how I should have bjust backed off the drags. I just apologized as I had no intention of hitting his boat. Now if he had been anchored and not under power I would feel really bad. I like to think that I always try to take my share of the responsibility, this guy took none and showed me no courtesy, he could have easily taken the boat out of gear or turned the wheel to the left and I would have easily won Wades YT Derby
Any pics of the dudes girlfriend? No? How about a pic of a YT?
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:15 PM   #31
YakMedic

Quote:
Today I was doing the happy pedal in around 10am
Happy pedal at 10 huh?

Sucks about the asshat boater but I have suspicions that you didn't come in empty handed either.

Its good to post up the experience because even when you try and do everything you can there are always things outside your control eg. oblivious boaters.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:25 AM   #32
Iceman
Administrator

I guess I might have been the other hot head in this situation if I did not have fresh YT on the deck. 8 am 24#on a flylined greenback in 80 feet. I was planning on releasing the 2nd...........I guess I did.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:15 AM   #33
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post
TRY COMMON SENSE FIRST>>>>>>>>>

Best statement of all. Because there are so many new Kayak fishermen out there that may or may not have ever fished from a regular boat or whatever Common Sense is the best tool. If you are paddling around and you see a fellow Kayaker assume they have a bait out either trolling or fly line and keep your distance. There are a lot of boaters out there that will look out for others, and then there are those that just bought their boat and don't know squat about rules of the water. Carry a radio, cell phone, whistle, horn, or whatever you need to feel safe. Like others have said prepair for them to not see you.

When I got into this I asked the question of what's a safe distance to stay off a fellow Kayaker. I was told to imagine about 50 feet of line being out and double that. Also what Andy stated about casting the irons.

Last year I had a boater throtle up and haul off and in doing so sucked my line up. Fortunately it did not spool me, but I yelled at him, he stopped, apologized, and went on. It's not always that pleasant out there. It's almost like those Surfers that get mad at you for surfing their break, it's a big ocean, I'm sure we can figure out how to give each other space.

Common Sense, use it, It could make for a better time on the water.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:13 AM   #34
taggermike

Great post in this thread. And Andy that's. A messed up encounter.
Most bad interactions are just from ignorance or inattention. But there
Are folks out there that get a kick out of f'n with yakkers. I comuted by
bike for years and always assumed drivers didn't see me. That same attitude
Has served me well on the yak. I've had exactly 1 contact with Greg T. My YT ran
A long way and in to his anchor. He helped me get the fish free. No trouble
Just a sory and a thank you. Communication always helps oh ya and respect.
I love having the sporties out there. They pull all the dogs in and I stay the
Hell away from them and the clueless, or rudes, they attract.
And catch fish. One last thing; no matter how pissed you are, how right you are,
Or how bad the others transgression is, do not fire an iron at them. I've come close
To doing it and the though of being in court for assault made me cool my jets.
Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:13 AM   #35
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Watch out for SUPs in the harbors too. Last month I was trolling a big hammer around and a clueless summer SUP renter went by me then cut in behind me which I didn't expect. I just saw my pole bend while she ran through my line back there. I tried to stop, but she kept going and I was too slow to release the bail. I heard the lure knock against her board a few times as it pulled over and across her feet/legs. She was screaming something about the "flying fish" as it went by, clueless to the possibility of a fishing line. I just went on feeling lucky I had on a weedless head so it didn't hook up her foot. It was probably my fault though and is a good idea to warn people you pass about trolling lines, or pull them up when in doubt.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:49 AM   #36
dorado50

You are one person I never would want to be around!. To cause bodily harm to someone over a fishing line is just wrong. You seem to be out of control on the water...please forgive your victims as they may not know what they do!! The taking the "violators to court" thing that you do is a much better process.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:38 AM   #37
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Quote:
You are one person I never would want to be around!. To cause bodily harm to someone over a fishing line is just wrong. You seem to be out of control on the water...please forgive your victims as they may not know what they do!! The taking the "violators to court" thing that you do is a much better process.

You obviously didn't read my statement thoroughly! I never stated I aim for the people, I aim for the largest mass of the boat that I could hit WITHOUT THE POSSIBILITY of causing collateral injury (i.e. the bow.). I also should have quantified clearer that I believe my life was in danger And if you've ever been that close to a larger boat while in a float tube or pontoon then you might have a better idea (and I'm talking so close you can reach out and touch the boat!)
Also there is a favorite saying in court...ignorance of the law is "NO EXCUSE".
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:48 AM   #38
dorado50

Launching a projectile at a person or object is WRONG. Perhaps anger management classes will help you. Most don't know or would consider the damage to a person which a paintball, 1oz.sinker,and even an iron can cause. Get a clue...if you wanna shot and maime things don't do it on our oceans.....

By the way, if your in a float tube stay the hell out of boat traffic lanes.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:48 AM   #39
easyday

Quote:
If I read correctly, or maybe I didnt it sounded like whoever said boater was was going to hit him not his lines. A loud thump on the hull would deff get my attention if I was a boater. It may not be be yhe best case but hey situation always dictates. Cant really armchair quarterback a decision made in a moment if we weren't there. Just saying.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:57 AM   #40
Zed
BANNED

You guys carry a safety whistle and/or airhorn right?