Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2013, 07:51 PM   #1
lamb

San Diego Bay 5/24

I'll put up a report from my short Bay trip the day of SCI trip.

I was reminded on that quick trip how great of a resource this forum really is. It's not my story, but a good one to tell. Hopefully, the guy whose story it is is now on BWE, on won't mind me sharing.

I only had 2.5 hours, so I took my kayak out to the Big Bay - just to make sure it floats, and that everything on it works. Figured I'll fish for halibut, as it's not uncommon to connect with a big one in the Big Bay this time of the year, and lil' ones are usually eager to play.

I got full combat gear on - all my stuff, gaff, game clip with a rope secured and tied to my kayak (I don't use Jim's cleats Ouch, sorry Jim that must have hurt like hell... I tie it to the foot peg, worked so far). Launched at around 10:00 AM on Lawrence street, went up to the barge to get some deans. Figured I'd let the wind take me back up, to get back to work in time.

I was drifting around the barge - on 6 drifts, I caught 5 halibut. They were all short, but they were halibut; I was stoked. And you know how it works - where there's halibut, there may be a big halibut.

If there's still any of you that is halibut virgin, and wants to catch some, I'd highly recommend the trip to the Big Bay.

As I started drifting down below the barge, I met another kayak fishermen, Nick, on a white Cobra Fish & Dive. We chatted, talked about fishing. He's new to the area, told him about the halibut I caught, may be good idea to fish there for them. Off he went up, down the wind I continued drifting and fishing. Got a few more turds and spotties, but no more halibut for me.

About an hour later, I see Nick paddling towards me. He's all excited, still shaking, he's got blood all over his white shirt, and all over his deck. He goes "You're not going to believe what just happened to me"....

I didn't say anything, but I "I know exactly what happened to you" did cros my mind...

He hooked up big beaver on his swimbait. The story you often hear - the rod loaded up, he though he was hung up, then it started moving... Fought it for 20 mins on light gear... Finally got it to color, GAFFED IT, brought on the deck... He said it was huge, he estimated 40 lbs...

...and "as he turned around to look for something to secure it", the fish ejected itself 5 ft in the air...
It kept thrashing wildly, so it continued skimming over the water for following 5 seconds, moving away from his kayak, before finally sinking.... ...with his gaff still in it...

I was bummed - despite seeing blood and all, I was hoping he stashed it in the hatch, and I was going to take come pics for him. You can only imagine how the poor guy felt.

I told him about Big Waters Edge, and invited him to check it out. I told him we've got a lot of good things to read, so his unfortunate episode DOES NOT happen to anyone. Unfortunately it was to late for his big halibut, but it will be handy for the next big one.

You don't find something to secure a big fish on your kayak unless you've got it there, ready to be deployed.

And if you find yourself on your kayak often enough, it's just a matter of time when you'll need it.

Last edited by lamb; 06-02-2013 at 07:58 PM.
lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:08 PM   #2
momo fish

dam dam dam----. That has to hurt.. Glad he was excited, as it must of been exciting to see..
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:44 PM   #3
silentsmell

thanks for that write up! it just inspired me to buy a game clip
silentsmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:58 PM   #4
StinkyMatt

Short or big, 5 Halis in a couple hours is a fun day.

Looks like our new friend got FulRacked!
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:16 PM   #5
JarrodMc

Damn that sucks. Poor guy. Thanks for the report Adi!
Old 06-07-2013, 07:03 AM   #6
Old Man in the Sea

Send a message via Yahoo to Old Man in the Sea
thanks for the fish report!!!
Old Man in the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote