Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2011, 09:18 PM   #1
TCS

Fishing with the Darkhorse

I spent Saturday and part of today with Josh out at LJ. We did see some fish and even pulled on a couple, but no tropy shots for today. Beautiful day on the water. A whale actually came straight though the middle of the kelp after sunset tonight. It seems like its getting fishy out there, and the squid are finally gone.

I learned a ton with Josh and highly recommend that those looking to improve their odds out there spend a day with him. I've been fishing LJ for a couple of years now pretty consistently, but have only caught a few YT and WSB. I have read Pat's article on yo yo fishing and just about every other thread and article on the internet, but I was still not getting it done. Got a lot of good advice from people on the water, but it just didn't quite translate. In one day with Josh I learned a ton of useful information specifically on what I need to do differently.

Josh doesn't have a silver bullet to give you. What he does have is an incredible depth of knowledge on how to catch fish in La Jolla, earned over years of spending more time on the water than anyone else, by far. Fishing with Josh is a little like working with a golf pro to improve your game, but for fishing. Get some advice on the right gear for the moment, a few suggestions on slight changes to your technique, and you can improve much more quickly than you would have on your own. Although I have not landed my first WSB this year, I already know that the odds are way in my favor compared to two days ago.

If you are thinking about Fishing with the Darkhorse, don't wait like I did. Just do it. If anybody says that you're 'buying your fish', just call BS. Nobody would rag on you for consulting a golf pro to correct your swing, would they?

One more thing to take note of: In addition to real mastery of the various techniques, Josh does have a silver bullet. Its called elbow grease. When you go out with him, get ready to put in the time and focus on fishing. Early in the morning out and back in under the stars. He does not charge a lot, but you will get a lot out of it.

Tom

Last edited by TCS; 02-13-2011 at 09:38 PM.
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:13 AM   #2
THE DARKHORSE

Some guys call that a catch and release...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCS View Post
I spent Saturday and part of today with Josh out at LJ. We did see some fish and even pulled on a couple, but no tropy shots for today. Beautiful day on the water.
Tom

For the record: Tom had his short leader through the guides---on a forty pound White Sea Bass, two feet from the boat! Before his spectra knot, not his fluorocarbon leader knot, snapped! My heart broke into a million little pieces and no matter what he says---it hurt me more than it hurt him.

In some parts of the world that's considered a caught fish, but as Tom said, no trophy shots were taken.

The good new is, I can guarantee his spectra knots will be perfect from now on.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:36 AM   #3
Matt
Support your local pangas

Hopefully that's a lesson you only learn once!
Old 02-14-2011, 08:41 AM   #4
j mo

Thanks for the report....

get em next time
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:59 AM   #5
TCS

Yes Matt, I have had way more than my share of 'charachter building experiences', don't need any more. I know the right knot to tie now, so there's hope...
Old 02-14-2011, 09:22 AM   #6
fishdude

I like that comparison, I am a golf pro locally and really never looked at it that way.

Josh you ever want to learn to play better golf give me a shout.

It has been a LONG while since posting or fishing because the other job does get in the way.

You are right Tom about time on the water, Golf is like fishing. The more you play, practice or just have a golf club in hand the better your game is period. Your confidence is up and you simply play better.
The more you fish, spend time on the water or simply surround yourself with people that have knowledge of fishing you will increase your chances of catching and hopefully releasing a few more fish than expected.

I hope to get back out on the water soon because like golf, you do not forget how to fish you just loose that connection with the Jewel and yourself and there goes the confidence, you might just start questioning yourself on how do I catch fish again.

to everyone that has been posting lately, it has keeped me up to date and mentally sane to someone catching and releasing fish.
fishdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:35 AM   #7
wade

what knot were u runnin?
no swivel in between?

next session....

wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:53 AM   #8
TCS

Improved clinch knot tied to a swivel. I had snagged a rock earlier in the day and really hauled on it to get it free, on that one the flourocarbon knot broke. (literally had the line around my hand and leaned into it)

So the knot was strong at some point, but it must have weakened when I broke off that snag. The next time I 'tested' it was with a fish on. Not good.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:20 AM   #9
Billy V

Now I feel bummed out too.
Improved Clinch is not a good Spectra Knot.

-----------------------
You definitely did have a shot at a trophy, and legit too.

Once you touch that leader the fish is caught - regardless if you boat him or not.

Consider it a photo-less release.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:50 PM   #10
dorado50

damnit... next time Tom. Maybe the uni knot (spectra to swivel) with a half hitch or two would work well.. It will not slip... I've been told that if one lossens the drag at boatside, if and when fish takes off again there is less pressure on line thus line breakage is reduced. I like what Billy says......
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:03 PM   #11
THE DARKHORSE

Here's your' trophy photo, Tom.

If you look real, real close, you might see Tom's monster White Sea Bass. For those that are familiar with my photography---it's nowhere near as close as I would have liked. I would have made his White Sea Bass pop off the screen and slime your damn monitor .

A spectacular photo of Tom and I, though, by the equally talented photographer, Jay Koo. Welcome to my office.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:38 PM   #12
TCS

I guess for all you successful fishermen with a freezer full of fillets, catch and release would be a good consolation prize. I'll be honest with you, I'm looking for blood on the kayak. Anything less is not enough.

Don't get me wrong. I learned a ton! One example, since Dave brings it up. How tight should your drag be? On the web you see 'loose' 'tight' 'buttoned down'...

The old hands just know. The rest of us have to guess. I can tell you that for different setups (spectra, yo-yo, bottom fishing) in different areas, I had it completely wrong. For two years! Josh takes the reel, sets it and says: 'in the bull kelp for yellows on this setup, it should be like this'. I pull on it. Now I know. You cannot get that from the internet.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:45 PM   #13
dorado50

Your right Tom, the internet can not teach one to "catch".
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:52 PM   #14
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DARKHORSE View Post

A spectacular photo of Tom and I, though, by the equally talented photographer, Jay Koo.
That is one killer pic...

Quote:
Welcome to my office.
Ouch...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:50 AM   #15
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Great Picture
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:45 AM   #16
catchnfish

Nothings burns like a failed knot. A beautiful day like that is worth 50 wsb well maybe 5.....ok like half of one
catchnfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:06 PM   #17
deepdvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCS View Post
I guess for all you successful fishermen with a freezer full of fillets, catch and release would be a good consolation prize. I'll be honest with you, I'm looking for blood on the kayak. Anything less is not enough.
I'm with you 100% Tom. I had a nice WSB on the line a couple of weeks ago only to have it shake the hook and escape. It's still annoying the crap out of me. I wanted to be the first to post up a nice this year, not Josh.

Good on ya for highlighting what the darkhorse provides. I'm of the opinion that nobody knows La Jolla inshore better than him.
What's better is the fact that he is willing to share that information.

Everyone will get something different out of hiring Josh but the bottom line is that he flat out knows his s**t and produces.

This time of year most people are reaching in the hat for the old tired tricks and posting donuts. Josh and his clients will be gaffing and/or releasing 50+ lb wsb (maybe a 70 or 80 lb. after all this squid???).

It is very respectable to figure it out on your own, but your ability to catch fish will increase after working with Josh.

Just my opinion.
deepdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:46 PM   #18
wade

hypocrite(s)....

If you really respect Joshs' HARD work & his dedicated services....
than 1 shouldnt be constantly hearing all about D.H. trademarked Rig(s) & Secret(s) from COMPLETE newbies almost every other fucking day!?!...
Keep his teaching(s) to yourselves/paid clients!!!!!!!...Your clearly taking $$$$ outta the mans pocket..
Let people do their own damn homework!....

wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:35 PM   #19
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DARKHORSE View Post

If you look real, real close, you might see Tom's monster White Sea Bass. For those that are familiar with my photography---it's nowhere near as close as I would have liked. I would have made his White Sea Bass pop off the screen and slime your damn monitor .

A spectacular photo of Tom and I, though, by the equally talented photographer, Jay Koo. Welcome to my office.

If I go fishing with Darkhorse do i get trophy picture like this too?

That is a spectacular photo.
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:58 PM   #20
ericko

No frank you get a picture with a fish that can feed the whole family not just you...something you can tie down on your yak not put in the live well...
ericko is offline   Reply With Quote