Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2011, 10:02 PM   #41
fishsouthcounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
here ya go, best I could do at 950 pm
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ead.php?t=9733
Unfortunately i already got rid of that spool this evening....

but yaknewb i do have some left over 80 lb moss green PP that i used to spool my Okuma Avenger i used to fish from the rocks of carmel and Big sur if you would like some of that
fishsouthcounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:27 AM   #42
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeLoser View Post
Holy crap...that black looks like a toad....how big
That's a Santa Barbara Island fish and it is the largest black I have ever seen. Freddie whose pretty much an SBI expert, and practically knows the Blacks out there on first name basis said that it was well over 250 pounds.

Here's a few more pics of it

For the record I've caught and released many blacks but never killed one. The issue is not air in the swim bladder like with rockfish but air in the digestive system, that causes them to roll over and essentually get disoriented at the surface or puts them in kind of a sleep state. That fish was farting like a pig in a bubble bath but once I rolled him over and he quickly got his orientation back and took off no problem. The problem was turning him over. Every time I tried to grab his jaw he'd grab my hand and almost rip my arm off. Big old fish no doubt.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:04 AM   #43
jhook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Day View Post

Jim
I like the blurry shots. It looks like some sort of mythical creature, like the Loch Ness monster.
jhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:21 AM   #44
taggermike

To join the spec to mono/fluoro I usually use a back to back uni. I've tried the Tony Pena knot but have had better success with the uni. I've used the bimini twist/albright but that's a big hassle with too many knots to pass through the guides. A small ring or swivle can be a good conection sight as long as it doesn't have to pass through the guides. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:58 PM   #45
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhook View Post
I like the blurry shots. It looks like some sort of mythical creature, like the Loch Ness monster.
Yeah they are pretty funny. I shot those with my vest mounted cam, and I was trying to get some shots but I was a little hurried and honestly a little intimidated. He's just come up in those pics, and once on top he just turned and came straight at me. I put my foot out to stop him because I was afraid he'd freak out slam into the kayak and knock me out of it, at the time I was like holy shit what am I going to do with this thing.

It's funny the kinds of things that go through your head in a situation like that. He'd towed me well off the island and it' was getting dark.

That's prime full sized adult Mako territory out there, and right before dark is the time they like to feed. I was totally concerned that a big 800 pound or better Mako was going to come up and attack him. I've seen them out there killing swords, and I know several guys that have got them there, and it was the perfect time of year for them to be there.

I tried to get the hook out but he kept biting my hand, and I finally said screw this and cut him off tight to the jaw. Then I had to get him to roll back over. My usual MO is to grab them at the narrow point of the tail and turn them over, but that narrow part was over ten inches tall, so I couldn't even get my hand a 1/4 of the way around it. I tried to roll him over a variety of ways. Every time I tried to grab his jaw he'd literally almost pull my arm out of the socket, and at on point I thought he'd broke my wrist. After while he just swam around me in circles not allowing me to get close to him.

There was NO WAY!! I was going to leave that fish floating so finally out of desperation I paddled right at him, pushed his huge belly sideways with both hands almost falling out of the kayak in the process and which point he first went on his side then rolled over and took off. As soon as he was right side up he was gone, made a huge splash that soaked me too

After that I was jacked, but when I was taking those pics I was pretty nervous. My take is that if you hook them you then have to be responsible for them. There is no problem with fighting them to your yak and releasing them if your are willing to put in the time and do it right. I cringe every time I hear one of those guys that say just cut them off. Leaving a fish like that trailing a bunch of line is just a recipe for disaster.

Just my take though.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote