Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2008, 12:54 PM   #1
BT

SD Bay hooping 11/5/08

Sherm extended the invite a couple weeks back to join him hoopin but I wasnt able to make it. Decided to go out last night and Sherm said he was in. We met up at the launch ramp at SI and headed out into the steady current and strong wind.

Trolled out to the spot and got a fresh greenie for the next hooping trip. The wind and tide were pushing out so hard we could have drifted out to point loma in about a half hour.

We get to the spot and drop our nets in 20-35 feet of water and wait till the sun goes down. Enjoy a smoke while I am waiting and catch a couple sand bass.

Time to pull and the wind and current are still ripping! Both of us come up empty and we decide to drop them down one more time. If we came up empty again we deicded we would move them. Next pull I get a short and Sherm tells me he got a legal and some shorts and that he is going to pull up another net. As I pass him after pulling one of my nets I hear he yell something to me...something about "big". Artillery and being in rock bands since I was a kid kind of ruined the ears. So I get closer and he says he got a big one! Nice! So I finished up pulling up my net and noticed he is still trying to get the bug into his tank....how big was this bug?!?! So I head over and he shows me that the bug wasnt even in the net, but tangled in the net OUTSIDE of the net! Talk about a lucky friggin pull!

OTW with the bug...

I finally get a legal and we work for another hour or two for a few more shorts that trickle away as the tide slows and the wind dies.

We call it a night, but I had one tragedy happen on the way in. I farmed a cigar.....Got her smokin, puffed for a minute and I dont know what the hell happened, but in the water she went. It hurt more than the fact that I only got one bug.

I dont know if I will ever go back to that spot. It seemed like a great spot, but ever since the first night I fished there my catch has gone from 4 bugs, to 3 bugs, to 2 bugs, and last night 1 bug....I dont want a zero! But I was glad to get out there and see the monster that Sherm pulled up, and I am sure we will hit the bugs again soon.

Sherm's bug looked big on the water, but at the launch he compared the two he got...nice size for sure!

No OTW pics of mine....Sherm got the limelight for sure on this night....but I did take one of my favorite pics...I call it "Fate."

Thanks again for heading out Sherm. It was good metting you!

BT
Old 11-06-2008, 03:06 PM   #2
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT View Post
I did take one of my favorite pics...I call it "Fate."

BT
Geez. You still holding a grudge for the one that bit you?
Old 11-06-2008, 05:35 PM   #3
Sherm

Nice hoopin with you as well Brian. I'll bring extra cigars for you incase you farm another one next time.
Sherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:29 AM   #4
BT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgax65 View Post
Geez. You still holding a grudge for the one that bit you?
LOL...That and the fact that i keep catching less and less and less at my spot. I guess I shouldnt complain because I am catching....but I know that will end sooner than I would like.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:31 AM   #5
BT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherm View Post
Nice hoopin with you as well Brian. I'll bring extra cigars for you incase you farm another one next time.

oh I had more....just was frustrated that it jumped out of my mouth!
Old 11-07-2008, 07:32 AM   #6
Sherm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT View Post
LOL...That and the fact that i keep catching less and less and less at my spot. I guess I shouldnt complain because I am catching....but I know that will end sooner than I would like.
Do you want to do the longer paddle next week?
Sherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 12:13 PM   #7
BT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherm View Post
Do you want to do the longer paddle next week?
I just found out that I have off tuesday and do not need to be at work wednesday untill 3 p.m. I am up for it if you want to do it tuesday night!