Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2013, 01:32 PM   #1
danjor

Hooping Dana Point Monday 10-7

Anyone want to join me?
Did very well my first 2 trips so far.
Planing on getting to baby beach around 5pm
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:28 PM   #2
Raskal311

I'll be launching from the boat launch at 6 today if you want to joint. Depending on how we do today I may joint you tomorrow. Do you stick to mainly the harbor?
Old 10-06-2013, 06:13 PM   #3
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Count me in. Ill be launching from baby beach around 5:30-6:00ish

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:26 PM   #4
easyday

See yall there ill be fishing la jolla that morning so hopefully ill bring some fresh bait for us all.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:29 PM   #5
JohnnyCope
The Four-Finger discount

looking to go. If I do I will be late. Danjor check PM.
JohnnyCope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:50 AM   #6
danjor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskal311 View Post
I'll be launching from the boat launch at 6 today if you want to joint. Depending on how we do today I may joint you tomorrow. Do you stick to mainly the harbor?
Can't hoop inside the harbor must hoop outside.
See you all there. Let's all limit!
Old 10-07-2013, 06:59 AM   #7
Raskal311

On at 6pm off by 11, about 20 short only two legal.

Good luck guys.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:04 AM   #8
Raskal311

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjor View Post
Only 20 shorts? I have never been to Dana and caught less than 60-100 shorts. Last 2 trips I had a couple nets with 10+ shorts, now legals are another story I have had to fight for them...
Dang!! that many? I was pulling up about 3 per pull for the first hour then it died. Dropped down to 1-2 if that, I had a string of 6 pulls that came up with nothing. If I included the super small ones that escraped through the net holes I probably had 30. Man I wish I could go out with you guys tonight.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:29 AM   #9
danjor

Sounds like it was tuff hooping out there last night. Heard the same from a couple different sources. Hopefully tonight will be better since it sounds like the bugs fasted last night lol
Old 10-07-2013, 09:32 AM   #10
danjor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskal311 View Post
Dang!! that many? I was pulling up about 3 per pull for the first hour then it died. Dropped down to 1-2 if that, I had a string of 6 pulls that came up with nothing. If I included the super small ones that escraped through the net holes I probably had 30. Man I wish I could go out with you guys tonight.
Planning on pulling out the best bait I have and hooping some spots I have had luck before.
Last week it took me 15-20 sets of 5 nets to get limit, so many I lost count....
Anyone use sports chalet waders? Planning on grabbing a pair before I head out, never wore waders before but if was effin cold last Wednesday night, soaking wet 45 degrees plus wind chill was no fun, stupid low pressure front that came thew last week.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:47 AM   #11
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Planning on pulling out the best bait I have and hooping some spots I have had luck before.
Last week it took me 15-20 sets of 5 nets to get limit, so many I lost count....
Anyone use sports chalet waders? Planning on grabbing a pair before I head out, never wore waders before but if was effin cold last Wednesday night, soaking wet 45 degrees plus wind chill was no fun, stupid low pressure front that came thew last week.
I just got some neoprene waders and look forward to layering up tonight. Im pulling out the bait that has been marinating for weeks now

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:14 PM   #12
easyday

Caught about 20 jumbo macs today I just got off the water in la jolla going home to load up and ill see yall at baby beach
Old 10-07-2013, 01:26 PM   #13
danjor

Radio said there's a meteor shower tonight right after sundown
Old 10-07-2013, 02:29 PM   #14
Old Man in the Sea

Send a message via Yahoo to Old Man in the Sea
dang I wish I could join you - I am on call all this week...
Old Man in the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:29 PM   #15
DanaPT

i hope to see a report on your efforts. I would have posted one today but I don't want to discourage you.

Go get em!
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:33 PM   #16
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Quote:
How's those sports chalet waders? I was thinking of picking up a pair since they are priced reasonably.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:00 AM   #17
easyday

Well it was tough hooping. Not alot of boats but quite a few kayaks. The seals were out in force but ill let danjor tell that story. We still all managed to grab a few, but what beats getting out on the water with a bunch of good dudes.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:58 AM   #18
danjor

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyday View Post
Well it was tough hooping. Not alot of boats but quite a few kayaks. The seals were out in force but ill let danjor tell that story. We still all managed to grab a few, but what beats getting out on the water with a bunch of good dudes.
First off waders work well but need returned since the sock part had a extra 6 inches on it and I wear a size 13 shoe, they must be made for clown shoes or something...

Got there early paddled out to the headlands hoping for a spot where there wasn't commercial pots, grid pattern every 20 feet.... so I went back to the boilers where there were no pots and dropped my nets filled with my best bait I have, paddled the legnth of the break wall again to meet up with EasyDay, he still was not here so paddled back just in time to catch a massive sea lion having his way with my nets. Stole/broke into every bait cage none are salevageable, badly knotted up one rope, broke 4 of the 5 eclipse nets supports that keeps them from laying flat and if that wasn't bad enough he put 5 fist sized rocks in one net, I'm not kidding on that. Pulled all my nets to start to head in and got some bait and some from another BWE member sorry I forgot your name I'm horrible with names, got 2 and a half nets in semi working order, managaged 1 legal in 4 set pulls of 3 nets which saved the night! Tuff fishing indeed but I believe I could of done better without the handicap of thrashed nets, now I'm on a mission to build seal proof bait tubes. If anyone wants a free set of promar bait cages pm me, I have a set from my ambush nets that I will give away since this will be my first and last seal attack. Now to enjoy this bowl of chili and go to sleep.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:51 AM   #19
ctfphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
How's those sports chalet waders? I was thinking of picking up a pair since they are priced reasonably.
I bought a pair and they worked great for the first year. Then the booties started leaking. It got worse and the booties started falling apart. I just cut off the booties and changed my waders into splash pants so now I need to go buy separate booties or boots. I think I will like the splash pant more now that I have cut off the dysfunctional booties.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:21 AM   #20
danjor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaPT View Post
i hope to see a report on your efforts. I would have posted one today but I don't want to discourage you.

Go get em!
I doubt your trip was that bad compared to mine.