Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 05-22-2020, 01:57 PM   #1
Harry Hill

first time out with the PDL

I finally got my Old Town Predator PDL on some water. We found out quite by accident that Lake Perris is open for some use. We loaded up the kayaks and hit the lake this morning. We got skunked on the fishing but people were catching bass, just not us. One guy in a tube got an 8lb largemouth right off the ramp. The Predator is a great fishing machine, it is also a heavy beast. I put boondox on it as soon as I got it so I can roll it around but it was a beast pulling it up the ramp. The ramp is closed to trailers so you have to roll your yak in from the parking lot. I ran over my wifes line so now I have to get some mono out of my prop hub. Other than that, on the water by 8, off by noon. I love peddling against the wind over paddling.
Old 05-22-2020, 03:11 PM   #2
igotpron
Xcoastie

first time out with the PDL

Was the kayak launch not open? You can drive right to the water, much better then using the ramp. offload off the truck right Into the water and park right there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
igotpron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 04:52 PM   #3
fishkiller951
Junior

sail cove
fishkiller951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 08:43 PM   #4
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotpron View Post
Was the kayak launch not open? You can drive right to the water, much better then using the ramp. offload off the truck right Into the water and park right there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We like to fish the east end at the brush line so sail cove and the boat ramp are too far a paddle for the wife if we don't have to launch there. We parked in the jet ski ramp parking lot and rolled to the ramp, they have the gates locked because they aren't allowing PWC yet. With the pdl I don't care where I launch from now but the main ramps add 20 minutes to the paddle and if the wind is blowing from the west it's a butt kicker. I don't think I could get my yak back on the trailer from the ramp angle. I need to put a winch on the trailer
Old 05-22-2020, 08:55 PM   #5
Harry Hill

by the way, with very little boat traffic Perris is amazingly clear right now. I could see the bottom in 15' of water. I think the bluegill spawn is over I did see something chasing shad on the surface once but didn't have a swim bait rigged to cast to it.