Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 07-31-2005, 04:26 PM   #1
madscientist

7/31 AM

After my somewhat disappointing tourney (Congrats again, Chris!), I figured I'd go try to find the 'buts. Launched around 9:00AM and went straight to the pier. Tons of little candy greenbacks. Started doing drifts from the canyon towards the pier. First, I had this little rascal grab on my bait.

The I had a double hookup on guitarfish, each about 3.5-4ft long. As I was dealing with those my flylined bait got picked up, but it didn't stick. Next drift, a large bat ray took me for ride. Lots of action but none of the right kind. Wind blew steady and picked up around noon. Called it a day by 1:00PM. ALl I ever get up north is sharks and rays. Am I doing something wrong? I was spicing up my baits with some bonita strips, was that the cause? Last time I tried this it was non-stop leopard action.
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 05:40 PM   #2
vellocity

is the fishing bad?
was thinking of going tomorrow AM but what's going on out there? are people catching but not reporting?

Brad i can always count on you to fill a report when i'm not out....thanks
anyone going tomorrow AM?
vellocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 07:09 PM   #3
Spinal Tap

I went out a little earlier than Mad Brad with a couple dive buddies. The moring started out nice enough. The top 12' of water had a hazy red tint to it, but below that it opened up to a less hazy 20-25'. The spanish mackerel were deep at about 30'. The red tint kept getting deeper and deeper until I Had to get down to 30' of water to find clear water. The current also got really strong as the morning progressed. I didn't see anything worth shooting (or more accurately, nothing worth reloading my gun for).

One of my buddies said he caught a glimpse of a big yellow (colored) tail dissappearing into the murk, but didn't know what it was.

The thermocline was at about 20-22' of water.

Nate
Spinal Tap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 09:45 PM   #4
Seeu1
Salt H20 Yaker

Hey Brad, I saw you when you were coming in, and I was paddling towards the pier....none of the right kind for me neither. I fished from 1-7 with lots of bait to pick from around, little greenies, sardines, etc.. i got picked up 6 times and landed 6 sharks. 3 guitars and 3 leopards. All were pretty decent sized, but not the barn doors I was looking for. I have done all of my hali fishing up out of oceanside, except for a few I have caught off of the kelp, so if anyone wants to trade info about the blacks beach/scripps pier area, I have some good gps spots in paddle range up in oceanside...where I have caught many in the 10-25 pound range. :lol:

Chris
Seeu1 is offline   Reply With Quote