Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2016, 08:20 AM   #1
radastaff

i almost died fish report, Dana looking

I hit Dana yesterday
launched dark-30
4 mi out and back
no tuna, some bait balls, some terns here and there
lots of dolphins in the afternoon

almost died part...

Was early morning still, about 2 mi out.
While still heading straight out I noticed a yacht type fishing boat(rather big) at full throttle on a collision course to me heading southbound. I started paddling faster to get outta the way, he corrected course to keep at me. So I stopped paddling thinking that would do it, but he corrected course again to keep at me. I could see the skipper at the helm, it was a tower type setup. At this point I started to freak out since there was only seconds before he was bearing down on top of me.
So I pointed my yak at him, ready to make a quick maneuver left or right, with only seconds left. Only thing I could think with the few seconds left was to raise my paddle and make myself more visible. Well just before impact(with no reduction in his speed before) the dude hit a hard right, creating a 5 foot wake wave just feet from me, then sped off southbound. He gave me the shrugged shoulders and I gave him the bloody deck salute.
The snotty conditions prob had helped in me staying in my yak, since I was already dealing with a tippy yak and was being extra careful.
I didn't get the boat name nor numbers, it happened just to fast.

I almost died...

After that I cussed him out on chan 72 with no response.
And got out my flare gun which I kept in my life vest the rest of the day.
At the ready.

Damn glad I bought my ACR PLB and had it on my life vest at the time,
also glad I didn't need to use it.

stay frosty out there

P

Last edited by radastaff; 08-07-2016 at 08:36 AM.
radastaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 08:41 AM   #2
SmokinBass

Crazy story! Glad to hear you're ok.
SmokinBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 08:59 AM   #3
battleborn

Flare guns make great signal devices.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
battleborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:12 AM   #4
h2ofishfo

Now that's a REAL almost died post crazy
Old 08-07-2016, 12:47 PM   #5
2-Stix

gnarly
2-Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 03:40 PM   #6
taggermike

That's some scary shit right there. Good to hear you're ok. When you hear, or are involved in, situations like this you gotta wonder if the boats operator is negligent. Ignorant, or a raging S-head. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 05:39 PM   #7
Orca Winfrey

What a bastard. Makes me mad just reading this. Glad you're ok. You've got some great self control not shooting that flare gun at him after he passed you. No I would not make a good cop.
Orca Winfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:13 PM   #8
jorluivil

much like on the roads, the guy with the bigger toy always thinks he owns the road,

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:30 PM   #9
iethinker

Bigger Boats

It was musical chairs in Solana with this sportboat today. He cut between me and the other Kayak shown here. Luckily he drives slow. Also, I heard him mention to his clients over the PA to "Not cast at Kayakers". Good to know he was aware of us. I think he was stealing my numbers because he was around me for a 1.5-mile stretch...HA!

iethinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:04 PM   #10
radastaff

great pict there, heh
I think I've been there a few times too

I had the flare gun in my hold during the rooster tail
but got it out after he sped away first thing.

Will keep it closer in the future
And maybe gopro or just a new wp camera

I felt assaulted with deadly force
kinda a one sided game of chicken
Old 08-07-2016, 10:33 PM   #11
f'nsabiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by iethinker View Post
It was musical chairs in Solana with this sportboat today. He cut between me and the other Kayak shown here. Luckily he drives slow. Also, I heard him mention to his clients over the PA to "Not cast at Kayakers". Good to know he was aware of us. I think he was stealing my numbers because he was around me for a 1.5-mile stretch...HA!

That's me in the photo. The deck hand said he was going to "chum up some fish" for me. I asked him to chum up a hamburger instead---never got it!!http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/i...the_finger.gif

Last edited by f'nsabiki; 08-07-2016 at 10:37 PM. Reason: spelling
f'nsabiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 04:54 AM   #12
Deamon

Total B.S. by boaters...they throw you the largest wake and look back around the time they think the wake will hit.

We had a very large sailboat (running an outboard motor, no sails up) w Arizona tags go right through a few of us yaks (in Mission Bay channel). We were tight, tight making our way in against current.... So we all had to maneuver to avoid getting hit. The dude had plenty of time to go around us. But no, he had show his group what a big boy's able to accomplish. Well, the typical Jim Kelley barrage of every cuss word came flying out of my mouth...with venom and fire, lol. I've kind of been known for this behavior...so I've been told. I call it temporary insanity. They were only 5' away and I came in fairly LOUD AND CLEAR. I'm pretty sure I saw MOMO blush and pray for my forgiveness. Their group kind of looked like a family (lol) and so, the Zonie started apologizing profusely trying to get me to stop swearing. Mom's like covering her kids ears, shuffling them below deck...I'm pretty sure that a-hole will think twice before he splits through kayaks in the future...

Oh yeah...any stupid boater (with kids) who tries to bomb his lobster traps on top of my traps gets an earful until they pick up and leave too...
P.S...this behavior doesn't deliver the same level of effectiveness without children on board...
Jim
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Last edited by Deamon; 08-08-2016 at 05:56 AM.
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 05:29 AM   #13
kareem korn

Maybe it's time to start using the orange flag like we do on our sand toys in Glamis.
kareem korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:03 AM   #14
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by iethinker View Post

that same boat almost ran over me in Mission Bay, bore right down on me and made me paddle towards the rocks to miss getting run over. I think he just likes to bully kayakers.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:21 PM   #15
jbl_91762

Quote:
Originally Posted by radastaff View Post
I hit Dana yesterday
launched dark-30
4 mi out and back
no tuna, some bait balls, some terns here and there
lots of dolphins in the afternoon

almost died part...

Was early morning still, about 2 mi out.
While still heading straight out I noticed a yacht type fishing boat(rather big) at full throttle on a collision course to me heading southbound. I started paddling faster to get outta the way, he corrected course to keep at me. So I stopped paddling thinking that would do it, but he corrected course again to keep at me. I could see the skipper at the helm, it was a tower type setup. At this point I started to freak out since there was only seconds before he was bearing down on top of me.
So I pointed my yak at him, ready to make a quick maneuver left or right, with only seconds left. Only thing I could think with the few seconds left was to raise my paddle and make myself more visible. Well just before impact(with no reduction in his speed before) the dude hit a hard right, creating a 5 foot wake wave just feet from me, then sped off southbound. He gave me the shrugged shoulders and I gave him the bloody deck salute.
The snotty conditions prob had helped in me staying in my yak, since I was already dealing with a tippy yak and was being extra careful.
I didn't get the boat name nor numbers, it happened just to fast.

I almost died...

After that I cussed him out on chan 72 with no response.
And got out my flare gun which I kept in my life vest the rest of the day.
At the ready.

Damn glad I bought my ACR PLB and had it on my life vest at the time,
also glad I didn't need to use it.

stay frosty out there

P
Damn crazy story right there and glad your ok. Im new to the sport but hope that never happens to me. If it ever does I know I'd be stalking the boat launch looking our for the A-holes and give them shit, hoping he would throw a punch...I just hate jerks like that.
jbl_91762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 05:50 PM   #16
stevie951
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
Total B.S. by boaters...
P.S...this behavior doesn't deliver the same level of effectiveness without children on board...
Jim
LMAO that's where the flare gun comes into play

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:16 PM   #17
radastaff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kareem korn View Post
Maybe it's time to start using the orange flag like we do on our sand toys in Glamis.
he saw me
he course corrected
twice

flag is a good idea
regardless
Old 08-08-2016, 08:18 PM   #18
radastaff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbl_91762 View Post
Damn crazy story right there and glad your ok. Im new to the sport but hope that never happens to me. If it ever does I know I'd be stalking the boat launch looking our for the A-holes and give them shit, hoping he would throw a punch...I just hate jerks like that.
prob slipped in Oceanside or Mission
or maybe Newport
who knows
too tired too hang out and around
a shack burger was due to get into my belly at playa del rey
long drive

wish I had got the boat name

Last edited by radastaff; 08-08-2016 at 08:42 PM.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:40 PM   #19
radastaff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post
that same boat almost ran over me in Mission Bay, bore right down on me and made me paddle towards the rocks to miss getting run over. I think he just likes to bully kayakers.

just another micro aggression

P
Old 08-09-2016, 04:00 AM   #20
Fishin Phil

You should have hailed the Coast Guard on channel 16. If he isn't stopped he will continue his foolishness until someone gets hurt. This guy needs to get off the water. Endangering other boaters is not entertainment. Next time set a MOB (man over board way point) and note the time. You can give this information (latitude and longitude) to the Coast Guard and they have AIS and can Identify the vessel by playing back their GPS.