Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 03-31-2015, 04:17 PM   #1
Mike scales

Fly fishing. Corvina action

So yesterday I decided to blow the dust off my Kayak and tie some new flies to test out in the bay today. I decided to make some variations of a ghost shrimp type pattern. I figure that's what a lot of people use, so my aim was to "match the hatch" as they say. haha... I had no high hopes or great expectations with these flies, they didn't come out great but that's ok, I'm still a beginner.

I hit the water at around 6:30am and proceeded to head to a few spots I thought might be holding some fish. I managed to catch several Spotted Bass here and there in the early hours, then it slowed down. Around 12pm I decide to call it a quits until suddenly, I notice a large splash out the corner of my eye. I stood up immediately and managed to make one fast but accurate cast right at the splash zone. Couple strips of the line and BAMMM!!!! Something nice detonates on my fly! My line takes off and the reel is screaming. After about 5 min, I have color.
A nice chunky Corvina! After a few pics and taking the time to resuscitate the fish until it was ready to go, I drop anchor and proceed to cast and strip the area. Glad I did! The Corvina wanted to play and I managed to catch two more. These guys were WELL fed and a blast on the fly! Very violent take and powerful fish. It reminded me of the Orange Mouth Corvina I caught last October in Gonzaga Bay. Not sure if these are the same variation of species, but to me they looked very much alike. For any other fly fisherman out there looking to get their fly fishing fix, I highly recommend getting out there! Tight lines!

PS: next stop, Yellowtail La jolla. The reports look GOOD!

Last edited by Mike scales; 03-31-2015 at 04:24 PM.
Mike scales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:25 PM   #2
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Sweet flies

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:49 PM   #3
blitzburgh

Nice! Great photos!
Old 03-31-2015, 06:42 PM   #4
Mike scales

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post
Sweet flies

Thanks fellas! Making flies is very addicting!
Old 03-31-2015, 09:31 PM   #5
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Well fed indeed! Nice job on the vinas, especially on the fly!!
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:06 PM   #6
Amish Ed

Well done. Few things are better in fishing than catching fish on your own bait.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:52 AM   #7
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Congrats on the action with the "Long Rod"!
I agree it's fun and a challenge coming up with fish catching patterns.
I can't wait to get treatment on my neck (and/or hand) so that I can use the "Long Rod" again! I'm dyin' here! And my gear is collecting dust!
Best of luck out @ LJ!
Looking forward to that report.
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:01 AM   #8
Mike scales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
Well done. Few things are better in fishing than catching fish on your own bait.
It's truly is a VERY rewarding feeling to see something that started as an art project to catching and producing great fish!

Last edited by Mike scales; 04-01-2015 at 07:07 AM.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:04 AM   #9
Mike scales

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinYakr View Post
Congrats on the action with the "Long Rod"!
I agree it's fun and a challenge coming up with fish catching patterns.
I can't wait to get treatment on my neck (and/or hand) so that I can use the "Long Rod" again! I'm dyin' here! And my gear is collecting dust!
Best of luck out @ LJ!
Looking forward to that report.
FFY
Thanks, FlyFishinYakr! When you're ready to fish again, happy to give any info you may need to target these fish. I hope your treatment goes well so you can get on the water soon!

Last edited by Mike scales; 04-01-2015 at 07:13 AM.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:52 AM   #10
Kayak_Bernie
Live Watersports ProStaff

where were you fishing? SD Bay?? I really want to catch a corvina! Awesome pics, those fish do indeed look chunky!!
Kayak_Bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:36 AM   #11
Mike scales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayak_Bernie View Post
where were you fishing? SD Bay?? I really want to catch a corvina! Awesome pics, those fish do indeed look chunky!!
Hey, Kayak_Bernie
I was fishing between J street and the Cays. VERY shallow water 2-3 feet. Its great because most boats cannot access this water and you can sight cast! I saw these fish swimming in packs like a pack of blood thirsty Wolves looking for anything wounded or vulnerable. Lots oh Halibut breaching the water too! It was one of those moments a kayak angler gets to witnesses and cherish. Pretty certain you can find these fish anywhere shallow. Just keep your eyes peeled to hopefully spot small fry fish bursting off the surface, most likely trying to evade Corv. Hope this info helps!
Old 04-01-2015, 10:13 AM   #12
Kayak_Bernie
Live Watersports ProStaff

This is great Mike, I have a fishing SUP and I flyfish a bit , mostly when I lived in the midwest (bass and bluegill) but I think I am going to give a bit more effort this summer. Standing on the SUP gives you a great angle to sight cast to hungry fish. Hopefully i'll see you out on the water, you can t miss the big blue and white catamaran L2Fish paddleboard
Kayak_Bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:49 AM   #13
Mike scales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayak_Bernie View Post
This is great Mike, I have a fishing SUP and I flyfish a bit , mostly when I lived in the midwest (bass and bluegill) but I think I am going to give a bit more effort this summer. Standing on the SUP gives you a great angle to sight cast to hungry fish. Hopefully i'll see you out on the water, you can t miss the big blue and white catamaran L2Fish paddleboard
Awesom! I was considering doing the same on my sup, I just have to figure out how to anchor up because the breeze can push you off position easily. Cheers!