Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2016, 04:56 PM   #1
Harry Hill

Dead day in Mission Bay

My wife and I hit the bay a little after 7 and headed straight to the channel. I trolled over with no action. The channel was just as dead, my fish finder died so I was fishing blind but even the sabiki couldn't produce anything. Laura drifted some squid and I cast swim baits and kept the sabiki in the water tipped with squid. I had one strike on the swim bait but what ever it was just grabbed the tail and held onto it. It eventually let go without getting hooked. I talked with a lot of fishermen in kayaks and no one had anything, one guy bought a kayak scoop of anchovies for $20 and didn't get a bite and was heading home. Laura almost got swamped by a boater who passed real close from behind pushing a huge wake, she has a sit in kayak and had to pump water out. It seems no one knows what a no wake zone is or 5mph. Lots of boats pushing big wakes and getting close. I almost got hit by a lifeguard boat doing about 50 in the channel, those guys should know better. They had a lot of room to go around me but chose to go past fast.
Old 08-13-2016, 05:15 PM   #2
east county dirtbag

Should have gave them the one finger solute
east county dirtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 05:53 PM   #3
Dave Legacy

Maybe there was an emergency. On the 4th of July a skiff capsized and I could believe how fast the lifeguard boat was hauling out the channel.
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 09:18 PM   #4
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Legacy View Post
Maybe there was an emergency. On the 4th of July a skiff capsized and I could believe how fast the lifeguard boat was hauling out the channel.
I thought that might be the case but they can't endanger other people going to another emergency. Then they were back five minutes later parked in the middle of the bay talking to a gal on another lifeguard boat so I'm not sure what they were racing to. Mostly I thought they should have given us more space for the way they were driving. The worse thing is seeing a boat coming at you and the pilot of the boat is doing something besides driving, messing with something so they are distracted. They just look up occasionally and make adjustments.