Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2015, 12:59 PM   #1
spyakker

newport 3/26

Launched from kids beach around 6:30 and made my way out to open waters to find some rock fish. Ended up with TONS of lizard fish and one rock fish. Moved from place to place trying to find structure for about 2 hours and then made my way over to the kelp patties. I hooked up to a massive Mackeral and a fish that I don't know what it was. Stayed there for about 30 min before making my way to the bait barge where I caught a short Halibut. I am now a believer of Uni-Butter. Had a lot of action on my 5 inch big hammers with the uni butter and had a couple tails ripped off. Finished the day around noon. Overall a fun day and will prob be back out tomorrow.
btw, does anyone know what the size limit is for the red rockfish? tried looking online but wasn't sure.
Attached Images

spyakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 02:39 PM   #2
octico

When it comes to rockfish size does matter on certain fish, see the link below. I dont think there is a size limit on reds, chuckle heads, barber pole, etc ....

Rockfish
The recreational fishery for rockfish (Sebastes sp.) is open to divers2 and shore-based anglers year-round. The fishery is open to boat-based anglers from March 1, 2015 through December 31, 2015 (see important NOTE at the end of this section). These species may only be taken or possessed3 in waters less than 360 feet (60 fathoms) deep. The daily bag and possession limit is 10 fish in combination of all species within the RCG Complex (includes all species of Rockfish, Cabezon and Greenlings) per person, with a sub-limit on black rockfish (5 per person) and bocaccio (3 per person), also included in the 10 fish RCG Complex aggregate limit. Yelloweye rockfish, canary rockfish, bronzespotted rockfish, and cowcod may not be retained (bag limit: zero).
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 02:55 PM   #3
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Did you drag one of those lizzard fish around the piles for Halibut? Another missed oppertunity?

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 03:02 PM   #4
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by octico View Post
When it comes to rockfish size does matter on certain fish, see the link below. I dont think there is a size limit on reds, chuckle heads, barber pole, etc ....

Yep no size limit on rockfish. You can keep 3 groupers now and 3 lingcod.

You gotta blue perch there!!! I haven't seen a local blue perch in years!!!

And don't call them kelp patties....that's just not right....
Old 03-26-2015, 06:19 PM   #5
Rambo

Nice set of species caught. Definitely the blue perch are good eats. How deep were you fishing?
Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:42 PM   #6
flemdogg
Island Blood

Caught a blue perch off tamarack last year. About two feet from the surface a decent size BSB took a snap at him, crazy sight and almost knocked me out of my yak. Anyways, good on you for getting out there.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:06 PM   #7
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobob View Post
Did you drag one of those lizzard fish around the piles for Halibut? Another missed oppertunity?

Unless they're small(under 7-8inches) never ever ever ever ever under any circumstances throw lizard fish away, pin that folker on and drag the bottom with it.

I would kill to catch a lizard fish in the 10" plus range.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 07:40 PM   #8
spyakker

I was fishing about 150 when I caught the rock fish. Went all the way out to 250 but didn't find much structure, and its hard not having a gps on the fishfinder to drop waypoints. time to upgrade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
Nice set of species caught. Definitely the blue perch are good eats. How deep were you fishing?

I never knew halibut like lizard fish, every drop I would get 1 or 2 lizard fish on the end of my line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Unless they're small(under 7-8inches) never ever ever ever ever under any circumstances throw lizard fish away, pin that folker on and drag the bottom with it.

spyakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:44 PM   #9
igotpron
Xcoastie

Quote:

Seriously? I've had days where I couldn't catch anything but lizard fish. Definatly caught them in the 10-12" range. Not often but I get them. And now I'm told to just leave them on and drop back down.

What likes lizard fish?
igotpron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:51 PM   #10
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:

I did that in Long Beach once, dragged bottom with a Mac for nothing all day. Then threw on a lizard fish instead, something grabbed it right away, broke off 30lb test like nothing.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:41 PM   #11
ful-rac
Emperor

Lizards don't always work....but sometimes they are the hot bait. Give'm a try sometime, if you never have you might be pleasantly surprised.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:53 AM   #12
CardiffJim
Junior

how to hook lizardfish?

O.K., now I've caught a lizardfish, how do you hook it for bait?
CardiffJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:18 AM   #13
FleshandBlood

I was wondering where the kelp is in Newport. I've cruised outside the mouth and didn't come across any. The only kelp I've seen on Google earth looked like it was right up against the rocks along the beach. I must be missing it.
FleshandBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:26 AM   #14
octico

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleshandBlood View Post
I was wondering where the kelp is in Newport. I've cruised outside the mouth and didn't come across any. The only kelp I've seen on Google earth looked like it was right up against the rocks along the beach. I must be missing it.
There is a lot of kelp on the south side of the jettie. The kelp is on the south side of Corona del mar beach you can see it on Google Maps
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 06:28 PM   #15
captnblood34

Quote:

SSSHHHH.... He didn't mean it, NOTHING will smoke a lizard, DEF not a halibut...
captnblood34 is offline   Reply With Quote