Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2010, 06:55 AM   #1
young mola

Pro angler?

Hey whats up guys? Ive been looking into gettin a new yak lately and was wondering if anyone fishes the pro angler? I never really see them or hear anyone talking about them. It looks like a sweet little boat but was wonderin if anyones got any experience with them. Im still in my first yak now a cobra escape and its small but just wondering if the pro angler is too big? I dont mind the extra work with launching and loading just curious how the handle on the water. I weigh around like 180 so i dont need a huge boat but want something i can move around on a bit easier. Im gunna stop by oex today went by yesterday and they were out to lunch was gunna come back but got tied up so i called in sick today to do some research.. ahh to be a bachelor with few responsibilities...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new 003.jpg (19.7 KB, 364 views)
young mola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:13 AM   #2
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

I have observed a few guys on the water in the Pro Angler. The extra space and stability appear to be pluses but the extra weight and reduced agility would be a deal killer for me. Launching and landing in any kind of surf would certainly be a challenge.

I think the Prangler would be a great boat for lakes, bays and other flat water venues. For fishing off LJ, maybe not so much, although Kurtfish says he loves his.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:19 AM   #3
blitzburgh

Really happy P.A. owner here. I love all of the room and storage I have on the boat. Surprisingly quick, plenty agile to me and SUPER-stable. I stand up in it, often. I am an little over 6'-2" and 215lb. That said, the boat is no joke to transport. At the end of a long day on the water you will not be looking forward to packing up . The Thule racks I installed on my car make a world of difference, if you have a truck, you're golden. One thing for sure, BUY A SET OF WHEELS immediately. This is a good idea for most yaks, a MUST for the P.A.. I cannot speak for the surf launch aspect of it yet but I know guys have done it successfully with relatively no major changes in technique or problems. I plan on a few practice sessions in the coming weeks. All that said, I LOVE my P.A. .

blitzburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:54 AM   #4
THE DARKHORSE

The Pro Angler is sick!

To say it's not the right boat for La Jolla?...ah, nevermind. I've fished the Pro Angler in La Jolla and it's handles very well. Easily as well as the Outback. And I really like the bow design compared to the Outback, as you don't have the bow splash.

The Pro Angler's uber-stable, but faster than most kayaks. You can hook, fight and land fish...standing up! As a matter of fact I'm making space in the garage for one now.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:50 AM   #5
sandydiego
Rum Pirate

I really like the idea of a peddle kayak. I will be on my x-factor for some time. Saving up my $$.
sandydiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:55 PM   #6
h2ofishfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DARKHORSE View Post
To say it's not the right boat for La Jolla?...ah, nevermind. I've fished the Pro Angler in La Jolla and it's handles very well. Easily as well as the Outback. And I really like the bow design compared to the Outback, as you don't have the bow splash.

The Pro Angler's uber-stable, but faster than most kayaks. You can hook, fight and land fish...standing up! As a matter of fact I'm making space in the garage for one now.
kick back ????????????j/k or am iiiiii ha seen plenty of guys eat shizz in the surf. lack of experience maybe amusing to watch possibly
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:40 AM   #7
roosta

Get one!

The Pro Angler surf launches just fine. Like any kayak, it takes a little getting used too, especially since it is 38" wide. I have fished a bunch off of it in the ocean on both calm and bumpy days, and surf launched it a number of times. The PA is very stable and nice for standing up and casting surface iron at yellows. It is surprisingly fast for its size and has plenty of storage space. The large seat is really comfy and is raised up so your butt stays dry; the center hatch that houses your tackle provides easy access. The horizontal rod storage keeps your rods flat and safe when launching and landing through the surf. Go get one!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
roosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:02 PM   #8
toby

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ofishfo View Post
kick back ????????????j/k or am iiiiii ha seen plenty of guys eat shizz in the surf. lack of experience maybe amusing to watch possibly
Hey, that's me your watching crash. Don't blame the boat. I'm learning, I'll get there. It's a great boat and very well designed

I'd put up a crash smilie but I don't see one.

If your going to put down the money for a new boat, I'd seriously consider a Hobie because of the peddles. Before I got my Pro Angler I had a paddle yak. I went with a friend he spent all day fishing and I spent most of the day paddling to stay in position.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by toby; 04-27-2010 at 01:08 PM. Reason: More to say
toby is offline   Reply With Quote