Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2010, 06:21 PM   #1
bigbarrels

Halibut vs. Slug

Just curious if Halibut hit Slugs? Or is that just a Calico type setup?
How about a Leopard Grouper hitting a slug? Thanks in advance
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:37 PM   #2
redyak07

Slugs

I've used slugs for about 8yrs now. Yes, they do work for Butts. Darker colors has work best for me, but again when you are fishing for butts its about timing and location. The smaller size between 6" and 4" seems to work best for me. I pour my own Slugs and a few other plastics. If you fish out of La jolla let me know ahead of time if am out that way i can drop some samples.

Last edited by redyak07; 09-14-2010 at 06:57 PM.
redyak07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:39 PM   #3
Iceman
Administrator

halibut love the fluke dropshot, slug is like that on steroids. Slug in Baja could a lot of fun.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:36 PM   #4
bigbarrels

awesome, thanks for the reply. Picked up a few slugs today along with some scampi jigs and was curious if Halibut will go after them......think I 'm heading down to Baja with a full arsenal. Tons of irons (deep and surface), rapalas, yo-zuri's, krocodiles, rapala knock offs, vintage jointed rebel fasttracks, skirted squids, anchovie looking jigs, sabiki rigs, halibut rigs, 20, 30, and 50 lb fluorocarbon leader line......new spinning reel with 20 lb P-Line , conventional reels, baitcaster......just missing a heavy pole with a 2 speed reel for the big grouper and BSB.....otherwise good to go
Old 09-15-2010, 05:03 AM   #5
Deamon

Iron's a helluva lot better...er, cheaper than plastic in Baja. Of course the bait shops love to sell plastic to the baja guys...I've burned through more plastic down there with the inshore species that'll SHRED plastic to pieces. You'll get bit no doubt but there's nothing better than a Pargo or Triggerfish on a bass rod and a croc...over and over and over.
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:43 AM   #6
bigbarrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
Iron's a helluva lot better...er, cheaper than plastic in Baja. Of course the bait shops love to sell plastic to the baja guys...I've burned through more plastic down there with the inshore species that'll SHRED plastic to pieces. You'll get bit no doubt but there's nothing better than a Pargo or Triggerfish on a bass rod and a croc...over and over and over.

Yeah, lots of toothy critters inshore down there........thinking of trying the plastics the estero off the yak in the afternoons (halibut, grouper, spotted bay bass) as an extra option but mainly have hard irons and lures.......also going to try to find live bait and put them on a fly line and see what smacks it
Old 09-15-2010, 03:13 PM   #7
GregAndrew

Halibut will bite just about anything moving within half a body length of their mouth that will fit in it.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote