Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2011, 11:51 AM   #1
Hypoxic1

Anyone have experience with Avet Mag cast reels?

Interested in educated opinions of the avet mag cast reel? is it worth it?
Not really interested in the "become a better Caster lecture" just the reel.
Anyone?
Bueller? Anyone?

Thanks Chris
Hypoxic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:16 PM   #2
bubblehide

Yes, they actually work. Jim Day gave the best explanation I have read, on how they work. But given the internal space to mag a reel, it is so easy to do on your own.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:31 PM   #3
kayakhunter

IMO

I have an MXJ MC and i love it for throwing larger jigs, anything tady 45 / salas 7x and up in weight, i also like it for fishing live mac's. Not the best for lighter jigs or casting small live baits although non MC Avets are awesome for those applications.
kayakhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:36 PM   #4
RK

magic cast

I have an avet with the mc and honestly if your using it for casting the mc is pretty helpful, however if your using it on a bait stick, it may not be worth the extra 50 bucks to you. people say they like the mc for live bait with the clicker, but if i were to buy one another strictly for bait I would go with the standard avet save with fifty bucks add another 50 and buy another sealine
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:43 PM   #5
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

I purchased one for my son Roman who had trouble casting my Newells. As a result, his casting skills have improved remarkably because he no longer spends most of his time untangling his backlash, and he has built enough confidence in his abilities to throw the iron further. For me, the MC feature reduces my distance, so when I use his reel, I turn it off.
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:59 PM   #6
redyak07

Avet Reel

I have 2 JX, MXJ, MXL, SX, HXJ, all with the MC. They are perfect for jigs and the bigger live baits, but as mentioned before if you are using it sardins and chovys the reel will tend to rip the hook off before the baits hits the water. If its for llive bait, I prefer the non MC. I still love my Avets. they tend to get better the more you use it.
redyak07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 12:11 PM   #7
THE DARKHORSE

I don't know...

I seem to remember, a non mag'd reel, working just fine on our trip last May. Chris was even open to letting his, first-ever-surface-iron Yellowtail---swim off, to fight another day!

But, since you prefaced this post with: no, I don't want to talk about becoming a better jig-stick caster---I'll just bite my tongue.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:03 PM   #8
Billy V

I've got a lot of MC Avets so I will try to give you my opinion.
6 JXMC, 1 JX6/3MC, 1 MXLMC, 1 MXJMC, 1 HXMC, 1 ProEXW30 w/no mc

In the heat of the moment when you need that perfect cast without a birds nest its a good choice. You can get a good long cast with a JX wearing 30 or 40 lb. or an MXL wearing 25 or 30 lb.

The downside is use on a kayak. They don't like to be sloshed with saltwater from launching and landing. This is because the spool bearings are open sided.
Thats good from a service standpoint, but bad due to exposure in a hostel kayak environment.

I don't usually carry my avets on the kayak - but sometimes I will, like in the summer when surface Iron action is ON.

I service my avets myself, and do it frequently because it very easy to do. Its just something that goes with the terrain.

I mostly use a Dawia Sealine X40 or a Saltist 35 or 40 on the kayak. They are my all time favorite No BS Reels.

The SealineX 40 has a spool that is 50 grams lighter than an avet JX, so you will get a good long cast with a little practice and less energy exerted. There is also a big shoulder on the spool to ride while controlling the spool with your thumb.
------------------------
On a boat Avets they are great. If you use them within the parameters of the manufacturers drag settings (which most people do).

I always disassemble my avets when new and drop all the bearings and parts in a kerosene wash to remove any machining crap - and its in there most times. I dry the parts with compressed air and assemble using reel x in the bearings for the spool, and Cal's grease on the gears.

Once the bearing are broken in, they will sizzle off some great cast - birds nest free.
------------------------
Boca Bearing makes Abec 7 ceramic bearing for some of the avets. I installed a set for a friend but haven't tried them myself yet. Insane free spool.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:26 PM   #9
Hypoxic1

Uh, I guess I stand corrected.

Thanks Josh for the reminder. Skills and time on the water are cannot be substituted with newfangled technology.
I guess I will become a better Caster.

Now to find a new jig stick.

Ulua Josh?

hmmmm
Hypoxic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:28 PM   #10
bellcon

No advice here on the reel question...
but it was good meeting you the other day Chris,

you tsunami fishing fool
Old 03-13-2011, 07:01 PM   #11
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypoxic1 View Post
Interested in educated opinions of the avet mag cast reel? is it worth it? Not really interested in the "become a better Caster lecture" just the reel. Anyone? Thanks Chris
Magging works...

I've not used the Magic cast ones but have magged my own Avets like the one in the vid, as well as Saltists and some others.

Here's the deal it's not going to make you a better caster but it can pretty much eliminate backlashes if you set up right. That is not such a big deal if you fish Iron with Mono but if you fish Iron on spectra like I do it's a big deal because even a small backlash with spectra can damage your line creating flaws in it that can break and loose you fish down the line.

I'd say magged reels are ideal for fishing Iron with spectra and they are all I use now.

I threw plugs and Iron on mono for the majority of my life, in some fisheries where all you do is fish plugs and poppers casting all day long. I actually just love distance casting and throwing plugs for me it's just fun. That said though I can cast a long way with mono I'll honestly tell you I can outcast mono with spectra side by side on the same gear, as spectra is limper and with it's smaller diameter it just cuts through the wind better. That goes for both conventional and spinning tackle. Just this year I took up using spectra on spinning gear for stripers and I have been having a total blast with it I can throw a spook a friggin mile.

So my take is if your going to fish spectra go for it. You won't be disappointed.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:18 PM   #12
Billy V

You're right Jim, they will totally eliminate a backlash even with that dry spool.

I would like to know what magnets you used for the Saltist 40. Do you have a tutorial ?
------------------------------
For any of you guys wanting to try Magging an Avet yourself heres a complete step-by-step tutorial with parts information.
http://www.charkbait.com/article/2004/Walt_Galen.htm

I don't usually quote numbers but these reels work awesome.
My stock JX/MC reels will fire a 3.5 oz. megabait out to 88 cranks of the handle with a topped off spool. The retrieve rate is 46" per crank.
The 7X is good for a consistent 72-75 cranks with normal casting power exerted.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:32 PM   #13
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

Professional consult

Today, I spoke with Rick of Avet about the MC reels; we were trying to out cast each other at the lagoon at the Fred Hall Show. After about a dozen casts, Rick sinks the tennis ball into the hoop (at about 100 yrds), then I sink it in after three more casts. Rick was using an Avet without the MC, I was using the JX with the MC. Rick later told me that his reels cast farther without the MC feature, as compared to one with the MC turned off!
There you have it straight from the proverbial 'horses mouth', the MC feature reduces the casting distance, but reduces the backlash or 'professional overun' for some.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:18 PM   #14
bubblehide

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSledTeam View Post
Today, I spoke with Rick of Avet about the MC reels; we were trying to out cast each other at the lagoon at the Fred Hall Show. After about a dozen casts, Rick sinks the tennis ball into the hoop (at about 100 yrds), then I sink it in after three more casts. Rick was using an Avet without the MC, I was using the JX with the MC. Rick later told me that his reels cast farther without the MC feature, as compared to one with the MC turned off!
There you have it straight from the proverbial 'horses mouth', the MC feature reduces the casting distance, but reduces the backlash or 'professional overun' for some.

The magged reels work by producing a magnetic field, that acts as a break, simply put the break is more effective at higher speeds, but you simply can not turn it off, so even on it's lowest setting, the Avet MCs still produce a breaking effect and slow their spools. Thus, given the same reels, one with the mag feature, and one without, the one without is capable of casting further.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:52 PM   #15
Billy V

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblehide View Post
The magged reels work by producing a magnetic field, that acts as a break, simply put the break is more effective at higher speeds, but you simply can not turn it off, so even on it's lowest setting, the Avet MCs still produce a breaking effect and slow their spools. Thus, given the same reels, one with the mag feature, and one without, the one without is capable of casting further.
Its true - the magnetic field only imparts resistance at high speed spool revolution to prevent a line over run, and not at low speed spool revolutions.

- But one of them will never backlash (which is priceless).
So if you can cast 100 yards with a Magged reel and not backlash what more do you want ??
Old 03-13-2011, 11:01 PM   #16
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy V View Post
Its true - the magnetic field only imparts resistance at high speed spool revolution to prevent a line over run, and not at low speed spool revolutions.

- But one of them will never backlash (which is priceless).
So if you can cast 100 yards with a Magged reel and not backlash what more do you want ??
Less effort to go the same distance. I had to use the pendulum swing to get the velocity up to go the distance. You make a good point about distance and no backlash though.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:25 AM   #17
robmandel

Quote:
I mostly use a Dawia Sealine X40 or a Saltist 35 or 40 on the kayak. They are my all time favorite No BS Reels.

The SealineX 40 has a spool that is 50 grams lighter than an avet JX, so you will get a good long cast with a little practice and less energy exerted. There is also a big shoulder on the spool to ride while controlling the spool with your thumb.
I have a slew of sealines, use them for everything. upgraded them with greased carbon fiber drags, and with them, they're good for anything, anywhere under 100lbs. and they are as good a casting reel as can be found.

josh' pic above with the big jig stick is really informational. so much of casting is the rod. throwing iron, you need a softer, more parabolic rod. watch all the casting competitions, or look at breakaway rods for instance. all the good jig/casting sticks, they are softer and really load up. that's the key. a good rod is going to go a long ways towards helping casting, both distance and backlashes. and learn good technique casting them too. don't overpower the rod. let it do the work for you. problem with a good jig stick though is they are heavier and tiring to throw for a long time. and they have way less leverage on a fish and can tire you out on a couple of nice fish. graphite, which is much lighter is not the best for jig sticks, but way less tiring and better on leverage. so, I guess the MC is helpful there.

I casted the MC avets at FH. very nice indeed. where I see them helpful is tossing live bait off the rail. not the terribly necessary on a kayak.
robmandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:02 AM   #18
Billy V

You hit the nail on the head Rob. Its all about the jig stick and how it releases its energy.
I have to thank/blame Josh for inciting this obsession with long rods.

In the last few years I have acquired many different jig sticks, 8 ft. to 12 ft. and had the opportunity to test them all until I found what I like best.

I never thought I would end up where I did - preferring the action of a 50 year old fiberglass jig stick over what is available today. This in itself poses a problem because they don't make them anymore, and if by some miracle the company were re-opened today, and the the men were alive to build them - the materials would not be the same to construct the rods the way they were back in the day.

Last edited by Billy V; 03-14-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:54 PM   #19
bubblehide

Quote:
You hit the nail on the head Rob. Its all about the jig stick and how it releases its energy.
I have to thank/blame Josh for inciting this obsession with long rods.

In the last few years I have acquired many different jig sticks, 8 ft. to 12 ft. and had the opportunity to test them all until I found what I like best.

I never thought I would end up where I did - preferring the action of a 50 year old fiberglass jig stick over what is available today. This in itself poses a problem because they don't make them anymore, and if by some miracle the company were re-opened today, and the the men were alive to build them - the materials would not be the same to construct the rods the way they were back in the day.

Bill, with the advent of spectra and short top shots, the rod makers recognize the need for softer/slower actions/rods that load up, there accomplishing this by using composite materials, and blending/using multiple materials within a rod. So if you look, you can now find some super light jig sticks with characteristics of the old tried and true fiberglass rods of the past.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:08 PM   #20
Jimmyz123

Are these reels really all that good? I have never tried one, I hear everyone talking about them but are they any more special than other reels. I might have to check them out at the Fred Hall Show.

I usually remove the spool brakes on the reels that I have bought so that they don't slow the spool down. This is a good informational thread.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Last edited by Jimmyz123; 03-14-2011 at 05:43 PM.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote