Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2015, 03:37 PM   #1
DONIGAN
Junior

Send a message via MSN to DONIGAN
Potential Closure of La Jolla Boat Launch - Please Read

My fellow Yakkers. As you can tell I am not an avid poster but I am an avid kayak fisherman of 13 years, mostly in La Jolla.

I will be brief and to the point (as much as possible for an Irishman). My neighbor who I actively hunt and fish with is also a Lieutenant life guard who has an over site roll over La Jolla Shores and the boat launch, specifically asked me to reach out to the kayak community (not necessarily this way) regarding the hammerhead situation and how we can be a responsible community. Honestly, they can care less about anyone reporting hammerhead activity in the fishing grounds, however, they care when its within 500 yards of the shore. It has been theorized, and now closely being watched, that the hammerheads are keying on kayakers who bleed their catch on top of the kayak and let the blood go through the scuppers. He specifically said that the tower is watching us come in and if we are trailing in our catch with a hammer following us to the beach, it will shut down again and guess what.... I shiver saying it, we (the launch) gets shut down.

We need to take 1 extra step in our preparations and pack some heavy duty trash bags or buy a real fishing kayak like and OK Trident 4.7
and put your catch under and let it bleed inside the yak. I dont want this to be a start of a "can they do that debate" "are they really aggressive sharks" "i doubt they are keying on us" etc etc. Guys/Gals, this is just a friendly heads up and I (as a yaker that bleeds my catch into the water) will change my approach the rest of this summer out of respect for our lifeguards who ask very little of us.

Tight Lines

DONIGAN

Last edited by DONIGAN; 09-05-2015 at 04:30 PM.
DONIGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 04:01 PM   #2
DanaPT

Watch dead bait on deck too.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 04:11 PM   #3
Zed
BANNED

Lobster opener is gonna be exciting.
Old 09-05-2015, 04:24 PM   #4
Mahigeer

Thanks for your advise and information.

It seems like a good idea anytime you are in open waters not to put blood in the water, unless you are fishing for sharks. Boats are better for shark fishing anyway.

You can probably edit your top post regarding typos.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 04:43 PM   #5
driftwood

Well, summer is almost over and the water is getting cooler. October is not far away and I really think the Great White shark is going to a real concern this year.

The seal and Great White shark population is WAAAY UP.
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 04:46 PM   #6
skrilla

Quote:
or buy a real fishing kayak like and OK Trident 4.7
Because we can hide our crap in the rod pod!

"Fishing? Nah just here to see the caves..."
Old 09-05-2015, 05:44 PM   #7
HobieScot

Hopefully they pass us up and keep heading north and stay there this year

But considering that Santa Monica bay is one of the main pupping grounds along with the sea of Cortez I doubt it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HobieScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:41 AM   #8
octico

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONIGAN View Post
My fellow Yakkers. As you can tell I am not an avid poster but I am an avid kayak fisherman of 13 years, mostly in La Jolla.

I will be brief and to the point (as much as possible for an Irishman). My neighbor who I actively hunt and fish with is also a Lieutenant life guard who has an over site roll over La Jolla Shores and the boat launch, specifically asked me to reach out to the kayak community (not necessarily this way) regarding the hammerhead situation and how we can be a responsible community. Honestly, they can care less about anyone reporting hammerhead activity in the fishing grounds, however, they care when its within 500 yards of the shore. It has been theorized, and now closely being watched, that the hammerheads are keying on kayakers who bleed their catch on top of the kayak and let the blood go through the scuppers. He specifically said that the tower is watching us come in and if we are trailing in our catch with a hammer following us to the beach, it will shut down again and guess what.... I shiver saying it, we (the launch) gets shut down.

We need to take 1 extra step in our preparations and pack some heavy duty trash bags or buy a real fishing kayak like and OK Trident 4.7
and put your catch under and let it bleed inside the yak. I dont want this to be a start of a "can they do that debate" "are they really aggressive sharks" "i doubt they are keying on us" etc etc. Guys/Gals, this is just a friendly heads up and I (as a yaker that bleeds my catch into the water) will change my approach the rest of this summer out of respect for our lifeguards who ask very little of us.

Tight Lines

DONIGAN
Are you the Donigan mentioned in this story? If so, what gives?
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 12:23 PM   #9
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobieScot View Post
Hopefully they pass us up and keep heading north and stay there this year

But considering that Santa Monica bay is one of the main pupping grounds along with the sea of Cortez I doubt it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pupping grounds for hammerheads?

dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 01:36 PM   #10
bolocop

Typical hypocrite. Just like the Duggar dude, the pastor who killed himself after being exposed on Ashley Madison, gay haters who turn out to be gay, white supremacists who have african blood (saw this on Jerry Springer once, haha!), the Kentucky clerk who won't give marriage certificates to gays because of her faith, but has two illegitimate kids and is an adulterer. The list goes on and on...

Last edited by bolocop; 09-14-2015 at 01:43 PM.
bolocop is offline   Reply With Quote