Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2006, 07:34 AM   #21
DrDirt
Junior

One more vote for the kayatank - I'm crazy about mine, and have had no trouble running on a single battery. Jim put a lot of effort into the circuit design to prevent interference. It's not just a branch circuit like I would have cobbled together, he's got a board in there to clean up the power. I am actually noting better reliability than when I had my own goofy wiring harness.
DrDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 07:42 AM   #22
scwafish

If your going with seperate batteries save yourself some weight and hassle and run your ff off of rechargable AAs. It will run it all day, and weigh a fraction of the weight of even the smallest gel cell. You can also use regular AA's if your in a remote area where charging isn't possible. I ditched the gel cell a while back and there is no going back. If you are interested in trying AA's I wrote a short tutorial on making an AA power supply here...

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/in...d=29&Itemid=42
scwafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 08:27 AM   #23
tattuna

That's a good write up and a cool idea Scwafish! I'm gonna have to give it a try.
tattuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 05:54 AM   #24
scwafish

Glad to help. When you buy your rechargables try and get some with a 2500 mah capacity or higher. I got mine on sale for about 16 bucks for 4 with a charger at a local home improvement store. Kinda hurts at first but they are so nice to have around. Between my kids toys and my digi I was going through AAs like wildfire. The $s where bad, but I felt really bad about throwing all of those dead batteries away.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:57 PM   #25
Bing

Hey Larry,
Why dont you just put a 5 gallon bucket with a bilge pump and 6 volt battery on it. This will cost you less than $30.00

OR you could drill big old holes in your hull and install a baggie in your storgae area, or you could put a completely bullet proof "square" tank that weighs 20lbs on your yak...... Gee those sound like better ideas. (all for under $300)

Good luck. You can come over to Thunder Chickens house and he'll install your rod holders for you for only $25 an hour labor....
Right T-Chicken?

Then.... you put on some waders and install a trolling motor and..... oops.

Kidding.

Bing
Old 04-24-2006, 03:41 PM   #26
Piranha

Send a message via AIM to Piranha Send a message via Yahoo to Piranha
Good idea,Bing!

Hey Bing, Glad you're still around! Long time no see!
I built my bait tank with a 6 volt 12 amphour battery from batterymart .com It cost around $30 for battery and charger delivered. Used a 5 gallon bucket from home depot, an attwood pump, and a few connectors(Hose clips, male female wire connectors). Put on an outboard motor gas primer bulb so I don' have to suck to prime it! It works great. Went out for 6 hours last Thursday, 1 sardine died! It cost under$30 to build. You only need a drill. It took less than an hour to put together!

Save some bucks and keep it real! Piranha out! :lol: 8)
Old 04-24-2006, 04:25 PM   #27
larry

Hey Bing,

Learned something in the past 60 years. Work hard doing what you know how to do and pay others for what they know how to do. Everybody wins.

Life is too short, do it right!!!

Hope to see you on the water after Mo installs his bait system in my yak.

Met Jim/Mo today when I dropped my yak at his house. Nice guy, old time yak fisherman. His system looks real solid and sits low in the boat. keeps the center of gravity low and wll hopefully keep me from dumping during my fledgling surf landings. Odds are I'll dump anyway but it's gotta help.

Larry
larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 05:25 PM   #28
Bing

Right on Larry! I am the same way.... Hope you laughed at my post a little. And Mr. Piranha, thank you for saying hello. Back atcha Stud. Yes I am alive and fishin'. Been to Mex, Hodges, few times to Dana you know the usual. I try to go weekdays when all you 8-5ers are grinding it out.

Note to Larry: Piranhas tank is an inexpensive way to go and it will work very well for yak'ing. But DAMN Piranha that is one UGLY looking bucket you got there. You could have spent another 5 minutes and drove to Walmart and got yourself one of those prettier paint buckets or something.

Hah, I could'nt resist! Hope you all are doing well. Ah, spoke to Thuder Chicken and hes pissed that I noted his labor charge as only $25 an hour. I have been duly informed that it is MUCH higher than that.

Nuff Said

Bing
Old 04-24-2006, 07:34 PM   #29
Walter

As for the AA solution, it's been beaten to death on KFS.com. It all depends on your ff. As Madscientist noted that color machines will draw much more juice, a combo gps ff unit will probably draw more than 2.5 mah will get you for a full day on the water.

As great an idea it is, and depending on your unit, changing out 10 AA batteries after 3-4 hours is not as efficient as the weight of hauling a 12 v 7AH battery that will last for 10. Tried it and loved it with my X-47 (10+hrs), but it wouldn't cut it for less than half a day with my DS400.
Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 07:42 PM   #30
aguachico

Yah that bucket tank is phucking ugly, but since bait is no big deal in mafia land - why bother. :roll: No sorry, the bait is the catch - gotta keep those smelt alive for the fryer. :twisted:
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 05:14 AM   #31
scwafish

Quote:
Note to Larry: Piranhas tank is an inexpensive way to go and it will work very well for yak'ing. But DAMN Piranha that is one UGLY looking bucket you got there.
Agreed. I see this bucket, and worse yet the "quietman" tank all over the web, but I have seen much nicer versions in person. I will post some pics of mine this evening, nothing special, but at least some craftsmanship was utilized.

As to 10 AAs, they should run any ff all day. I run a Matrix 67 ff/chartplotter/gps on mine for a solid 10 hours, a regular ff much longer. Be aware that the first 2 or 3 charging cycles will be much shorter than the fully developed battery. The first outing with my 2500s only lasted about 3-4 hours.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:35 PM   #32
quietman
Junior

I have been pretty happy with the "tuna tube" bait tank lately...
...cheap and cheerfull 8)

quietman
www.roenation.com
quietman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 08:36 PM   #33
BOZ
Junior

Bait Tanks

Why don’t the manufactures just build a bait tank into the mold??? They can mold in rod holders, and that all so important beverage holder. Why not a tank with a horizontal scupper to manage the level, and a vertical scupper to drain at the end of the day??? They are targeting the kayak fisherman.
Why not build a kayak with a bait tank.

Anyway the mack tubes work great, as long as you don’t load them backwards!!

Ooops,

Boz
BOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 06:05 AM   #34
aguachico

Quote:
Why don’t the manufactures just build a bait tank into the mold???
The same reason why you spend $30k-$130k for a boat then spent $500-$3000 on a bait tank. Making a good hull and making a good bait tank are apples and oranges. Si?
Old 04-26-2006, 08:35 AM   #35
DESTROYER

I for one believe that it is all what you are comfortable with. I don't feel comfortable with 5 gallons of water inside my kayak, I do think that it is very neat looking though and easy to get too, just not for me. Before I became friends with Jim Sammons I use to make my own which worked out fine. I use Jim's Bait Tanks now and I love them...It's easy to get bait out and the toggle switch is very easy to reach, I of course endorse this product, just like some others endorse the other products. I also love the extra rod holders attached. I have had mine for two years without any problems. It really depends on what kind of $$$$$ you want to spend...MY 2 CENTS!

TL-Matt
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 04:27 PM   #36
aguachico

Larry;

Congrats on your Kayatank. It is the future in yak bait tanks.

Always with you, never have to bungee it in your tankwell. I use mine for storage in route to the landing and to the fishing grounds. I store sharp and heavy objects in the bag without a worry.

I was talking to Brad and he was concerned about putting lobster in the tank. I tested the material and here's what I found. First, this is a personal test and not a Kayatank approved test.

I took a rapala and puntured the material. Needed a lot of force to do it, but was able to push it thru. What I was not able to do was to TEAR the bladder from that point. The nylon reinforcement and the cement seam held the treble in place.

What can you draw from this? The hysteria, paranoia and myths are unfounded and illogical. Unless Brad stores a fish with utility knives for claws and hydraulics for arms... get the point. When I cut the material for my bladder, it will dulled a utility blade pretty damn quick.

This construction is used by the Navy, Sea World and the Coast Guard in similar applications... this accordinig to the makers of the material and chemical sealant.

Quote:
I don't feel comfortable with 5 gallons of water inside my kayak
Hey Matt 5 gallons is not a lot of water... launching thru the surf with your center hatch open... that was a lot of water. 8)

AC
Old 04-26-2006, 08:56 PM   #37
DESTROYER

I'm basing it upon 5 gallon os soup and that will feed a lot of people I just thought that someone needed to stick up for Jim and mention his bait tank as well. He does a really good job on them and he doesn't really make too much money on them for what he spends to make them. I'm sure that all these products are top notch.

TL-Matt
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 05:13 AM   #38
aguachico

Quote:
I just thought that someone needed to stick up for Jim and mention his bait tank as well. He does a really good job on them and he doesn't really make too much money on them for what he spends to make them
Jim's tank were the first that I know of. Solid tanks, rod holders and a turn key product. I see LJKF tanks all over the water, there's no need to stick up for Jim, his product is well proven.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:11 PM   #39
cej
Junior

Bro'
You want a tank buy the hardware I"ll help you build one, I have a 3-4 Gal clear bucket that I will give you and will show you how to build your own for about 40 bucks for the hardware not including battery.
Regards,
chris
cej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 10:07 AM   #40
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

why can't there be a kayatank for fish n dives? They have the round hatch that seems perfect for a tank.
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote