Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2014, 09:31 PM   #1
andrewtp
Awesome Possum

Favorite big baits for Halibut?

Hitting up SD bay w the GF tomorrow.. What are your go to plastic baits in what colors for Hali's in SD bay?

Hoping to put gF on some fish-plan on Carolina rigging some zoom super flukes and drop shotting various plastics.

Thanks in advance.
andrewtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:38 PM   #2
Jimmyz123

Dines with a stinger hook. Macs are great also

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:03 PM   #3
jorluivil

I've never fished for or caught a halibut on plastic but What I can tell you is that if you're fishing two rods use different baits on each one. Sometimes they like Macs, sometimes they like lizard fish and sometimes they'll only hit on sardines but there's also that day when they'll bite on anything. If making bait isn't an issue I will only use the larger baits (9-12inches), this usually helps keep the bass and other bycatch off your bait.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:57 PM   #4
TravisLovesYaks
Big Pappa

I've never actually been halibut fishing, although I'd like to try it sometime, but I prefer to use live bait whenever I can. I think it attracts bigger fish. If I did have to go with plastic, I would think that the bigger bait would work better.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:20 PM   #5
Fiskadoro

Swimbaits and twin tails.

I prefer the large twin tails, Kalins or scampis in white or Chartreuse green flake with a large head up to four ounces.

...but I have caught more halibut including a 33 pounder on the 3 inch version in glow green.

Swimbaits I use white, white blue, silver blue, white black and clear red flake when there is squid around, but I'll be honest my largest halibut on a swimbait was only fifteen pounds, and I've caught more fish with twin tails.

The deal is the larger twin tails almost always hook big fish, small fish especially small bass do not mess with them, so when you do hook a fish it's usually a good one. The only issue is that sharks like big soupfins and pinbacks also like them, and I've even caught threshers with them. When sharks hit them they shred them, so if there are a lot of them around (pinbacks school up) you can end up going through a lot of baits rather quickly.

The smaller twin tails are a more productive bait but you get a lot of smaller fish with them. Everything from bass to sculpin to halibut. If bass are thick you can get tired of messing with them, but if things are slow it's the goto bait.

Swimbaits get bit well but the hook up ratio is lot worse for halibut for some reason. I think this is because halibut think twintails are squid and just inhale them where they think swimbaits are fin bait and try to swallow them head first which makes it harder to get a good hookup. I've lost a lot of decent halibut on swimbaits. When I start feeling head shakes I always get nervous because they are often poorly hooked with swim baits and the bait has enough weight they can easily shake the hook.

Take some frozen squid and put small strips on a Mojo Kalins or twintail and you will catch halibut. Sink to the bottom reel a few turns sink to the bottom type fishing and half the time they hit it on the sink.

Good luck, Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 01-27-2014 at 02:26 PM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:16 AM   #6
CDFisher

I caught my first legal halibut drop shotting
A bass assassin like this and lots of scent
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (19.5 KB, 262 views)
CDFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:28 AM   #7
andrewtp
Awesome Possum

Good stuff. Appreciate the advice. Bwe ftw.
andrewtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:31 AM   #8
makoslayer

I used sardines and macks for Hali's then I went to the east coast and swear by plastics. Use a 7 inch jerk shad on a 2oz leadhead (varies upon depth and current) Drag and jig across the bottom and you are in for a fight.

Stealth 14 (Sand Camo)
makoslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:58 AM   #9
kauaiboy04

drop shotted super flukes in white. deadly.

http://socalkayak.blogspot.com
kauaiboy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:49 PM   #10
t-$money bussard

"terminator" jerk baits if you have them or can actually find them anymore. i have about 8 of them and theyre great you cant tear or break them. you can stretch a 5"plastic to 4 ft across to put it into perspective how the plastic is. try and find them i havent looked for them in a while they have a great floating quality as well. it is basically an undestructable bass assasin.
t-$money bussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:16 PM   #11
todd one

I like to use a large scampi or fluke. I've got 20 plus pounder on both of them.
todd one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:01 PM   #12
Grunt31

If it's shallow enough I like rocking a Lucky Craft 110 flash minnow.. other than that... Macs or dines.
Grunt31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:11 PM   #13
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunt31 View Post
If it's shallow enough I like rocking a Lucky Craft 110 flash minnow.. other than that... Macs or dines.
Why not tie the LC on a dropper loop?
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote