Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-19-2009, 11:25 AM   #1
Trout
Looks are everything

Black Pearl Mothership Report

Made it back safe and sound. Conditions were ridiculous... sheet glass like a mirror 85% of the time. There were huge swells but nothing bothered us... just big rollers on the outside. If there had been wind it would've been a different story. I saw a potential big wave spot that looked rideable, but only tow-in... looked like outside Phantoms or the likes. Faces were solid 30ft. Anyway, I'll post later with a real report but basically we slayed 'em. Nothing fancy like YT or halibut, but the volume was certainly there. Our group of 7 caught close to 200 fish. I had the jackpot with a big sheepshead that went close to 20#... very big for that specie. Lots of big lingcod, beautiful calico bass and assorted rockish to diversify the catch. There were gray whales everywhere throwing tail and blowing spouts right next to us... plus dolphin, seals, pelicans and tons of wildlife in general. The skipper, Rick Craddick, is the man - totally dedicated to putting kayak anglers on big fish in places that can't be reached by any motorized craft. His spots are places he has logged over 30 years, but has never been able to get close enough due to thick kelp and structure. I am waiting for everyone to send 'em over to me, including Allen (polepole) who charged it all the way from the Bay Area (8 hour drive!). The guys that went are friends for life and that's common after sharing a trip like this with others. The crew worked their butts off and they proved that they are the $hit in regard to this type of outfit. More to follow... -- Trout