Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should the next WCW season start right away or should we take a break?
Yes, start it right after WCW 07 ends. 30 53.57%
No, take a break. 26 46.43%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-15-2008, 04:01 PM   #41
cabojohn
PROBATION

I am considering this even though I don't have a snowballs chance in hell. I

It would be great to see some of the money go to the KFASC and there was a private wcw forum that would be good. (whereI could make side bets and heckle from the pnut gallery)

I dunno if this is fair, but I think only 50% of the fish you catch & submit can come from the "county" you live in. Or no more than 50% of the fish can come from one county?
This might level the field and force people to fish other areas. Mix it up a little.

$.02
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 04:27 PM   #42
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabojohn View Post
I dunno if this is fair, but I think only 50% of the fish you catch & submit can come from the "county" you live in. Or no more than 50% of the fish can come from one county?
This might level the field and force people to fish other areas. Mix it up a little.

$.02

I like the fact you can fish baja for YT and WSB. I don't like that it's allowance hands me my arse as far as points go but it does push some of us to fish southern waters. I haven't gone yet but WCW is another "reason" for why I need to go when it's time to bring it up to the wife.
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:38 PM   #43
tattuna

Lots of good suggestions on here. I really like the idea of a private forum. Maybe do that and leave it open to all who joined the year prior too. I have too many side projects goin on to bother joining next year, so that would be cool for me to still follow. But even if it's a private forum for only those who are currently in WCW I think it's a good idea.

Overall, just keep it simple and fun.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:12 PM   #44
PAL

Quote:
but, I just dont know how good this is on a public board with outside observers looking on for ammunition, on an already big bonfire. I believe Paul Lebowitz stated photos have been presented at Northern MLPA meetings, Paul correct me if I am wrong.
This is true. Photos from a free dive competition - all legally caught fish - were used by pro-closure forces in public testimony pushing Carmel / Monterey area closures. That area got a major hose job (it could have been worse!). Blatant spin, a PR stunt, pure bull - but consider, the political appointees in charge of rolling out the MLPA (the Blue Ribbon Task Force) to this point have known very little about fishing or the ocean.

Look, I'm as guilty of spreading carnage shots as anyone on here, maybe more, because a dead fish I print in WON shows up 70,000 times. I hate the thought of giving our opponents ammunition, and I've talked over this subject with the mods here and at other boards. I think we'll just have to accept the risk and plan to deal with it, because fishermen love to share photos. Me too.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:01 PM   #45
lambadmin
Spam Sanitation Dept

Great stuff. Cool to see all the suggestions.

Everything on the side, BWE is a hangout place for almost 300 people. That's a lot of paddles, lots of different perspectives.

I'll know we hit the right format when I see JimmH play.

We all love to fish. Some are more fortunate, some less to be lovin' often.

We need a fun fair game.

How about if only 1 fish counted?

One of each I mean. 1 yellowtail, 1 WSB, 1 halibut.

Make it a big one. You have a whole year to catch yours. Fishing 5 times per week is optional... If you must, if that's how much time you need.

Score the same, point per pound.

You can upgrade your sub.

That ought to level the battlefield and keep the fun in it.

Keep yearly JPs just as this year. All 4. Optional, big fish, rock on.

Spice up with monthly JPs. Symbolic entry fee, for fun. Optional again.

And make WCW free to enter.

You can submit your fish even after you catch. Maybe limit the time window for a sub, the same day or the next day the latest?

I always loved the idea of private WCW. But private private board with open invitation?...

is kind of hold on a sec...
lambadmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:45 PM   #46
wavster

Having 1 fish count for the entire year seems more like a Jackpot
tourney than a year long fishing tourney.

I was actually thinking 1 submission per month - any of the fab 3.
Point totals will be lower overall, but that means there could
potentially be a lot of turnover at the top. It would be difficult
(or so it seems) for anyone to build an insurmountable lead
over the rest of the pack early on.

On the subject of a private forum, I think if posting is manditory
immediately after the catch (within 1-2 days), those postings
should be private. The leaderboard and end of month reports
might be of interest to others not involved.

My suggestion with a single fish tourney though - every fish
should have to be certified, given that a few ounces could
make the difference in the end.

FWIW, whatever is decided, it's up to BWE. One can choose to participate
or not. If it's not fun for you (what ever format), then don't do it...
wavster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:55 PM   #47
wavster

PAL: as for carnage shots being ammunition, I not convinced that
this or any other board is going to make any difference now.
There are shots all over the internet showing fish catches. If the
MLPA wants to find pictures of dead fish, they'll find them.

Likewise, the united anglers approach should be to show that
populations are doing well and improving. There are plenty of
pictures of large schools of fish. The Salmon problem up north
isn't helping the cause, though it's problem is from another source.

The best defense is to show the positive aspects fishing has on the
fisheries. Contests like WCW contribute X number of dollars each
year to Hubbs. How many anglers donate time to those causes and
to Hubbs and other agencies voluntarily?

I find it interesting that the state has many campaigns like "Take a
kid fishing", yet they seem to work tirelessly to take that away or
impose restrictions.

If they have their way, some day the Fish Pen April Fool's joke
in Sport Fishing magazine may become the only way to fish here...
Old 04-16-2008, 08:34 AM   #48
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

What about fishing teams? "Team Captains" will draft their anglers and the teams will compete for the year long tournament. I'm not sure who'll be designated captains but I'm sure the powers that be can hash that out. I don't really like individual teams organizing since some guys may be alienated. Although you might want to think twice if you live in, say, Rancho Cucamonga and still want to participate unless you plan on making the drive a few times a month. It may not be fair to the team. Unless of course we have enough "out of towners" to make it fair.

As far as the side jackpots go, biggest species and slam jackpots will still be individual competitions but obviously the points for the biggest fish/slam will count for both the side jackpots and the main tourament.

You can create a waiting list for late arrivals where they can be added when there is enough to add one competitor to each team. At the beginning you may not have enough to fill teams evenly but you can prioritize participants by return WCW members, then by BWE join date.

As for prizes, hopefully this format will spike interest and enough cash will accumulate to make the competition interesting on a team level. Cash prizes may not be realistic for all top teams but rods, reels, tackle and gear are always nice. An slight increase in the WCW entry fee may not be too bad of an idea.

Still create a closed WCW forum but timely reports won't be necessary but sharing of hot info among teams is a no-brainer. I would think "Leaking" info would be minimized since it would be compromising the teams chances of winning.

Submissions aren't required until the 1st of the following month and points will still be totalled like they are now. Individuals accumlate points but the total points will be combined at the end of the month for the team. Monthly prizes can be given out for individuals with high point totals (maybe a couple winners every month?).

I may have missed a few things but I've got a 2 year old to supervise.

How's this sound? Maybe this way Arne can come and show us new guys how it really gets done.

Last edited by nmbrinkman; 04-16-2008 at 12:08 PM. Reason: typos
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 09:08 AM   #49
jscott

Teams sounds like a cool fun way to get going. Would need team captains...maybe top 5 this year become team captains for next year.

5 teams-- captains draft from the pot of entrants. Teams keep growing as members join.

Just throwing this out there-- reconsider halibut as 2 point fish. This would entice more participation from other cities outside LJ. (Up in malibu I don't have a chance at YT and a much smaller window on wsb.)

Maybe count any game fish over 10# also? (Sheephead, freshwater catfish, etc.) Could make it more intersting.
jscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 09:12 AM   #50
lamb

I don't know about the teams...

Fishing from the boat, I can see the the teamplay concept...

But on the kayak???

Maybe tandem.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:56 AM   #51
wavster

I think he's thinking collective points. Kind of like a scramble in golf. The
single best fish from the team members counts each month and
teams are placed on a team leader board. 3 members to a team.
Could be fun. Isn't that why we're all here - oh yea, and to make
friends too.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:56 AM   #52
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

No teams. I think it's a bad idea. People have changes in life over the course of a year. Some team members may move away, others may lose interest in fishing etc. I think it's a really bad idea.

Now if anyone wants to setup a sidepot for teams, maybe. But not as the main contest.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 10:06 AM   #53
cabojohn
PROBATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamb View Post
I don't know about the teams...
Teams would be kewl for "ME" only cuz I am the weekest link and a slacker. My team mates would be pissed cuz they would do all the work and I would get credit.
I think I would rather win or lose on my own.
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 10:16 AM   #54
wavster

I think teams would be cool as a sideline. I like the mano y mano format
the way it is now for the main event.

...even though this isn't a contest..
Old 05-10-2008, 01:53 PM   #55
fishdude

I diffinetly agree with madscientist and lambs last remarks. If your fishing to prove a point with getting more points and showing someone up that is weak, let the fish be your trophy and your friends and good times be the reason for getting out there.
Not everyone can fish 5,10, 20 times a month. If there were more monthly tournys or jackpots I would be in for sure. Only being able to fish 1 a month or on a good month 5 times, depending on the time of year, I would have more encouragement for myself to try and win 1 month out of 12.
What you could do is the twelve months in the year turn into twelve tournys, then at the end of the year accumulate the points for each of the months to get an overall winner. Have an option to buy in for the overall year total. Basically 13 tournys in a givin year, individual month tournys and the overall fishslayer who likes to and can have the time to fish all year, unlike the rest of us who actually work for a livinglol . Just a thought.
Always wanted to participate with the plastic navy but just do not have the time. If there were more monthly things I would be down with that.
fishdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 05:11 PM   #56
aguachico

Quote:
Originally Posted by dordao50 View Post
Changing the format to cater to the people that don't put in the effort for this tourney is wrong imo. A one day shot at fish is pretty much luck, however a year long tourny is all skill and fortitude.

.!
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:19 PM   #57
moondoggy

the Banjo Minnow

HAS ANYBODY OUT THERE TRIED the banjo minnow out in the sea what do you think is it junck our real.
moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote