Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 08-09-2009, 09:29 PM   #1
forefrazier

"Fresh One"

In this crazy sport of ours the pressure of conquering that trophy fish at LJ can often clog my head and take away the simplicity and pureness of a nice morning paddle, a couple rods and a few lures. That was all brought back to me this past few days as I made my first kayak voyage into waters of a less "salty" kind.

Destination: Twin Lakes @ Mono Village. Just north of Bridgeport in the High Sierras. View from above:

This place is just plain beautiful and makes you enjoy being alive....First morning paddle in search of some trophy trout...

Hardly any boats other than a few aluminum skiffs now and then....Looking for the creek side spots where water run off meets shoreline structure was my plan. Didn't know if it would be the correct one but it was my plan for the day. Found one....

After pitching my red/copper Thomas Buoyant spoon near as many rocks, fallen trees and mossy lanes, my first trophy size trout decided succomb to what he thought was a lone baitfish who had lost his way....Couple minutes later as he tried to break the 4lb test with a few valiant headshakes, he was resting quietly in the bottom of my net....

Wind picked up a bit so off to the lakeside tackle shop that has more of the feeling of a general store. Asked the owner if he would politely weigh my catch for me and was rewarded with his response.." Of course son, bring that beauty right on back behind the counter." I was surprised not once but twice. Thought it might go about 2.5-3lbs but a smirky grin came over my face when 3-11 came up on the scale.

My second surprise came when I was politely asked by the owner if I was, "in the derby?". "Derby? I proclaimed...."

$7 dollar entry WOULD have got me in the derby and WOULD have had me leading with the high weight fish for the $125 first prize. Took a shot and asked if I paid now could it be retroactive? I was politely told that I was once again a "day late and dollar short"

Paid anyway since I still had another shot the next day and the funds go towards keeping that place in top form. Funny how the fish get lock jaw after you pay your entry fee. Nothing but stocker size for me the second morning out.

That evening we had a few visitors in camp one being a bear looking for some "leftovers". Another was also looking for a handout or two but was a bit more approachable...

Can't forget the good meal.....

Any of you who have not experienced the High Sierra's I suggest a trip up to see what you can find....Hiking, camping, fishing...and just plain beautiful area...

-Steve
forefrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:45 PM   #2
FishingBeast
Junior

Very nice area

Thanks for report.
FishingBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:48 PM   #3
dadandsonkayak

simpler

thats pretty cool.. just chillaxin while paddling on the lake LJ sometimes just gives me a headache as the fish keep evading me (ill get em soon). a day on the lake is maybe something i need.. smooth lake.. relaxing and some good fish.. makes fishing a little less technical and makes it simpler nice 3-11..too bad about the derby
Old 08-10-2009, 12:13 AM   #4
bigbarrels

nice
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:49 AM   #5
Whizz Bang

Beautiful.

Awesome post. Thanks for bringing more than LJ to this forum. Seriously though, didn't you get just a little claustrophobic with all that land in every direction. Everywhere you look, land and thingys that live on land, gives me the heebie jeebies.
Come clean, wasn't there a little part of you that thought about gaffing the deer, they ARE delicious.

I gotta get up there...
Whizz Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:48 AM   #6
Margarita Mike

Nice report and the pictures that came with it.
Mono Village is a great get away, my wife and I stay there once a year, in Oct, just before they close for the year. That was quite a hike you took in the first picture.

Did you see where they have the grow out pins? Some really nice fish in them. Also in Oct. the Kocanee (sp) salmon go up that stream you were fishing. They are small, but quite the site to see. Bears come out every night and sit on the banks feasting on berries and salmon.

Great hiking up that way also. Thanks for the pictures and write up.

Margarita
Margarita Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:54 AM   #7
MVC

Great post. My family and I are spending the last week of August in the Mammoth area. We have gone there several time and the fishing is alway good.
MVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:19 AM   #8
j mo

sweet pics- love the game clip
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:06 AM   #9
NextBite

nice picts and nice thread
Old 08-10-2009, 11:08 AM   #10
JoeBeck

Great post, nice pics. My family used to go there when we were kids. There are also a lot of nice streams around bridgeport to flyfish.

I'm going up to the Mammoth area wed-sun. Going to do a lot of fishing but not off the yak, will be mostly be fly fishing the owans river and some of the other streams up there. Also will be spending a lot of time mountain biking. Your post is getting me excited for the trip.
JoeBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:35 PM   #11
Adam12

Very nice Steve, Trout on the gameclip.. thats awesome.
Adam12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:57 PM   #12
skatino
Junior

Awesome post. Makes me itch, we are doing a 5 day on Columbus day weekend with a buddy who is retiring. I don't know if I am gonna drag the yak yet.

WTG on the fish, thats a nice trout, and I am sure she tasted mighty fine!

Steve
skatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:36 PM   #13
yaker81
Banned

Nice pics...
yaker81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 12:51 PM   #14
CUMMINS 12 VALVE
Junior

the fam and i go every year to the june lake loop, the best week of the year for me and this year i get to take the yak. the sierras have tons of activitys, sights, and critters. this year we will be there sept 4th-8th, normally we wait till after labor day when the kids are back to school and crowds have left. good times
CUMMINS 12 VALVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:28 PM   #15
fishdude

Beautiful is an understatement. My family has been going to Bridgeport for over 75 years and I have been fishing there since I was born. It is a very special place.

If anyone would like info i would be happy to help out via private message. I am looking to go up sometime in early Oct. the Browns get huge if you know what to use and where to go
fishdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 03:03 PM   #16
steveooo

Awesome. Somehow I missed this report. Great pics, I love it up there
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:20 PM   #17
DOGHOUSE26

Nice pics and great report, there are some nice browns taken every once in awhile downstream in Robinson Creek. Too many bear encounters for wifey, haven't been in some time.
DOGHOUSE26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:11 AM   #18
kirkB
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdude View Post
Beautiful is an understatement. My family has been going to Bridgeport for over 75 years and I have been fishing there since I was born. It is a very special place.
fishdude, that is pretty funny as my family has been going there for nearly that long as well. i have been going my whole life for sure, and have pictures of my father fishing there as a toddler. some long time family friends used to spend the whole summer there every year.

i have not been in the last 5 years. i need to go back soonn
kirkB is offline   Reply With Quote