Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-30-2017, 04:43 PM   #1
mpxmedical
Junior

Where and How to Kayak Fish for Yellowtail ????

Hello guys, Im a medical student that just moved near San Clemente and bought a kayak. What is the 101 on targeting yellowtail from a kayak? How far from shore do you fish, live bait vs surface irons vs jigging etc... Also where should I be fishing, any good spots?

Much thanks!

Last edited by mpxmedical; 08-30-2017 at 08:34 PM.
mpxmedical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 08:46 PM   #2
FISH11

You're best bet is go back to the top of this web page on the menu at the top of this page in the INFORMATION link click it and pick from the titles of articles on just what you are asking about. All the answers are there if you take the time to read through them.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:18 PM   #3
Dingokevin

Ok from one medical professional to another. Do your own research all the information his here no one will hold your hand and give you all their hard work and time.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Dingokevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:30 PM   #4
jpp9565

Welcome aboard! Don't let some of these guys' salty attitude scare you off. The post were accurate if not friendly. All the info you want or need is on here. Just familiarize yourself with the search option and you can learn loads from these guys who have been doing it for years. I doubt if you'll get much in the way of hot spots as these guys seem to guard them like buried treasure. Some of the more friendly people might give you some spots in a pm. Good luck and be safe!
jpp9565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 06:13 AM   #5
Iceman
Administrator

Lots of tactics, warm Summertime fishing anywhere from 10 feet to 200 feet in So Cal, look for birds and bait. Kelp bed areas. Livebait, surface iron, anything that looks like a bait fish, minimum 20# line.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:25 AM   #6
NICKWORN

Hot Spot

Please dont share this GPS coordinate with anyone else, its a secret hot spot.

32.6810° N, 117.1783° W

NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:39 AM   #7
mpxmedical
Junior

FISH11, jpp9565, and Iceman,

Thanks guys for the advice, I just appreciate the general advice on how to use this site, and the general basics of where/ how to fish. Special thanks to you ICEMAN.

No need to share secret spots NICKWORN (Hotel hahahaha), now I probably will have to stay there sometime hahahaha.

Old 08-31-2017, 07:44 AM   #8
Hunters Pa

If you want to shorten the learning curve consider springing for a guided trip with Sea Samurai, Darkhorse, or another reputable guide. Some here discount the value and are more purist, but it should get you productive faster.

Or sign up & show up for the JAL tournament next weekend and follow the kayaks that smell most like fish blood.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 10:36 AM   #9
goldenglory18

I totally read your handle as "mxpx medical".

That would have been awesome.
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 12:04 PM   #10
NICKWORN

Date night

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpxmedical View Post
FISH11, jpp9565, and Iceman,

Thanks guys for the advice, I just appreciate the general advice on how to use this site, and the general basics of where/ how to fish. Special thanks to you ICEMAN.

No need to share secret spots NICKWORN (Hotel hahahaha), now I probably will have to stay there sometime hahahaha.

Hahaha i thought you'd get a kick out that, but for real great spot to take a date or even stay the weekend. One of our popular tourist spots for real! LJ is all about live bait my friend, jigs work but live bait is were its at. Get a sabiki and troll around the kelp edge for bait, then hook one up on a flyline ( in the summer) or dropper loop ( in the winter ) and cover ground from 60'-120' zigzagging to cover a mass area, you will eventually get hit!
NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 07:26 PM   #11
OCPhisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunters Pa View Post
If you want to shorten the learning curve consider springing for a guided trip with Sea Samurai, Darkhorse, or another reputable guide. Some here discount the value and are more purist, but it should get you productive faster.

Or sign up & show up for the JAL tournament next weekend and follow the kayaks that smell most like fish blood.
x2

Short version: if time is a limited resource, I'd recommend springing for a guided trip. Sure it'll cost some coin but nothing a few weeks of forgoing eating out and limiting bar tabs can't scratch up.

FRAT (F*ck Reading All That) version: my son and I have been fishing for three years and kayak fishing for two. We fished La Jolla for the first time last week. It's a 3.5 hour round trip for us. Unlike Dana Pt or Newport (a lot closer), this wasn't something I was willing to suss out on my own --especially with my 12 yr old who doesn't have a dad who grew up fishing his whole life and can show him the ropes. We're learning together. Luckily, he loves fishing and we're figuring out a lot on our own collectively through youtube, forums like this, and a lot of cool dudes on here that are genuinely happy to help beginners.

We booked with Sea Samurai, and I can wholeheartedly recommend him. Aside from learning about the pure fishing aspect of it all, a guide can impart a lot of important knowledge on safety, etiquette, respecting/preserving the fishery, etc. I would've been happy with all of the knowledge gleaned from this particular trip --even if we didn't catch any fish. Luckily for us it was a pretty good bite last weekend. We hooked up with 15 YT, landed 10 and kept 3. My son and I still have the smiles pasted on our faces.

Good luck!
OCPhisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 11:28 PM   #12
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpxmedical View Post
What is the 101 on targeting yellowtail from a kayak?
May I suggest that the best 101 is learning to get your kayak through various conditions without crashing and losing gear, or hurting yourself.

When you get past the breakers, there are lots of good things to learn about how to be safe in the ocean, how to self rescue, how to reduce risks, how to contact someone when you need help, etc., etc., etc. .... etc. Fixing things that break, how to get your kayak back rightside up and reboard, crazy guys in skiffs, currents, water conditions, weather, disorientation in fog, buddy system, bilge pumps, radios, a few essentials for first aid, getting embedded hooks out of the wrong places, etc., ....

Welcome! Have fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICKWORN View Post
Please dont share this GPS coordinate with anyone else, its a secret hot spot.

32.6810° N, 117.1783° W

hehehe

I wonder what the coordinates are for that place where they threaten to make children into sausage if they misbehave? That's another hot spot. They have good beer when the fishing is slack.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 09-01-2017 at 11:48 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 08:50 AM   #13
taggermike

These may sound like harsh questions; but do you know how to kayak? You said you just moved here, but not from where. Do you have experience in the surf or ocean? Simply asking how and where to catch yellow tail might be like asking how to play soccer before you master running.

Like most things, kayak fishing involves a learning curve. For some with previous surfing, paddling, n fishing experience the curve can be shorter. Those with out previous experience may find it takes longer.

I'm not discouraging you. Everyone was a beginner. You can do it too.

Like others have said, there is loads of info on this sight to look thru. And easy too much info out on the web. It will be helpful to find others in your area to fish with. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 08:03 PM   #14
mpxmedical
Junior

Thanks guys.

Okay guys, first off you guys are all pretty amazing. I think it is really cool that this hub of fishing knowledge exists. Its so fun being able to talk to other like minded people and gain wise advice. You guys are awesome.

TAGGERMIKE, I am handy with a whitewater kayak https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqlIX7cw3bE and am pretty comfortable with the ocean https://youtu.be/dadqoW9BQcY (spent a year in Micronesia as a teacher/surfing).

That being said, I don't know anything about ocean fishing. I've been bass fishing most of my life but that is a whole different ball game. I really should have fished in micro but every free chance we had I was surfing..

How much does it cost to get guided by sea samurai? Also how would I get in touch with him? I have seen some of his youtube vids and he looks like an awesome guy.

Last edited by mpxmedical; 09-02-2017 at 11:37 PM.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:20 PM   #15
FISH11

check out his web site seasamurai.com
Old 09-03-2017, 04:38 PM   #16
taggermike

Great videos. Looks like fun. Except the shredded heal bleeding in to a box part.
I'd say you're on the very short learning curve. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yellowtail