Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 06-16-2014, 10:37 AM   #1
blitzburgh

"Clip-worthy" Rockfish - Newport 6/14

I went on a taco mission for some Father’s Day grill action. Got to the Newport CG station at 6 and it was busier than usual at that time. Super negative tide made for nice, sloppy, calf-high mud launch. On the water at 6:30 and at the entrance around 6:50. Just outside the entrance I made a few greenbacks to drop in case the squid wasn’t the ticket. Conditions were a little bumpy early but smoothed out nice around 8am. Water temp moved around from 66.8 to 68. I got to the spot and had steady pick at smaller grade Reds.

fficeffice" />>>
>>
I would like to say that I have been using the Roklees releasing tool since I bought it at the Fred Hall show last March. Eight rockfish trips since and this thing is performing exactly as it is intended. I have successfully released every fish I did not want back. I tried this tool on a couple different rods but settled on a 6’ heavy & an old Jigmaster with 65 lb braid on it plus a 1 lb torpedo lead. I know other guys on here have shown some cool homemade rigs but I just like this thing. Definitely feels good safely releasing these fish.>>
>>
Anyway, on my last drop I picked up a pig of Copper for a good kicker fish. This beauty was bulldoggin’ it all the way up and was deemed “Clip-worthy”

>>
>>

Taped out just over 20" and THICK. Tasted great on the grill for Daddy’s day. Tight lines fellas.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:01 AM   #2
octico

Nice fish. I think I saw you going out, I stayed inside the harbor. There were quite a bit of Kayaks out there ...
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:05 AM   #3
Deamon

Those pig coppers have nice shoulder meat. Good job! Jim
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:40 PM   #4
momo fish

Nice quality fish there and glad to see others safely releasing rock fish. More effort but better in the long run.
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:35 PM   #5
Jaysuuun
Junior

Toad Rockie!! Nice! I hope to pull on a few of those some time.
Jaysuuun is offline   Reply With Quote