Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 05-29-2019, 06:42 AM   #1
Kevin

NPH?

Looking for some advice for Newport Harbor. I'm taking my wife out kayaking there this weekend and plan to fish for spotties and anything else I can entice. I plan to bring two or three rods to fish crank baits and spinners. The 3 rod would be a finesse set up for plastics.

What I need to know is where is a good place to launch that has good parking mid morning (8 or 9 am)?

What depth crank baits work best?

any recommendations for plastics?
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 06:59 AM   #2
stevie951
Lurker

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...st+guard+beach

utilize the, "search" option it is your friend

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:36 AM   #3
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie951 View Post
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...st+guard+beach

utilize the, "search" option it is your friend
I am aware of that. But My question had more to do with parking. Is parking a problem later in the morning?
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:10 AM   #4
Heisenberg
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I am aware of that. But My question had more to do with parking. Is parking a problem later in the morning?
On a nice weekend, yes, it will be. You would be better off getting their earlier if you can.
Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 01:53 PM   #5
daperrin
www.TheKayakLaunch

YOu should be okay at the Coast Guard station 8am or earlier and all spaces are usable for the beach access on weekends.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@thekayaklaunch
https://www.instagram.com/thekayaklaunch
daperrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 03:00 PM   #6
jbl_91762

yeah hit and miss with CC station that late. Try your luck anyways and if its full you can park on the street, but that gets busy also as the yacht club next door gets packed. Good luck and have fun. Maybe i will see you out there as I pass by on my new to me center console.
jbl_91762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 06:03 PM   #7
Amish Ed

By 8am the lot will most likely be full, if the weather is halfway nice. I get there at 6am. Any earlier and you risk a ticket, which I heard has been enforced more strictly lately. There is a loading zone right at the gate, if you have to park on the street. About 10 or 11 is when the moms with kids start showing up and guys like me are leaving. So, you have a shot going late.

Getting there any later though and you can miss the pretty dependable early bite. Depending on cloud cover and current this is usually over by the time the sun crests the hill. Many times that early bite has been the only thing going. Unless, you fish at night.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:17 PM   #8
Uncle_Tomas

I like to fish the area under PCH bridge. This does not necessarily seem like a place you wanted to fish but if parking is concern this would be perfect. There is a big gravel parking lot and super easy launch. You can even rent a kayak right across the channel. After you launch you need to pass the bridge (going south) and then you can start fishing as I believe the other side is protected.

I typically use pink or green grubs on a drop shot or 3 inch MC swimbaits. 3-4 inch fluke works fine too.

Driving north on PCH, you will take right turn on Dover right after you pass the bridge and then first right to enter the parking lot.
Uncle_Tomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:21 PM   #9
spudleydoright
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Tomas View Post
I like to fish the area under PCH bridge. This does not necessarily seem like a place you wanted to fish but if parking is concern this would be perfect. There is a big gravel parking lot and super easy launch. You can even rent a kayak right across the channel. After you launch you need to pass the bridge (going south) and then you can start fishing as I believe the other side is protected.

I typically use pink or green grubs on a drop shot or 3 inch MC swimbaits. 3-4 inch fluke works fine too.

Driving north on PCH, you will take right turn on Dover right after you pass the bridge and then first right to enter the parking lot.

This spot is called "Lower Castaways Park" and is a good option if you plan to only fish the harbor and not go big. You are not allowed to fish from your kayak north of the bridge but you can fish from land, however I'm told you can't beach your kayak and fish from land.... not sure on that one. Anyway, put in there and fish around the various islands and you might have some success w/ the spotties and maybe a small halibut. When the early wind is up I'll hit this spot for some casual time on the water.

As for lures, I've had recent success in the harbor w/ the red crap colored Hook-up baits. I also use a pumpkin seed Berkley Gulp "swimming mullet" (I think that's what they call it) on a jig head w/ moderate success.
spudleydoright is offline   Reply With Quote