Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2011, 06:38 PM   #1
Hypoxic1

Patience and Perserverance

Rarely does one come across the conditions that allow for the recent events we have experienced at our spot. La Jolla possesses the unique geography and current conditions that encourage a wide variety of species to congregate and feed.
Seldom too does one get to be front row center for the unfolding of these varying events.
I have been a kayak fisherman for 3 years, having lived and cruised for several years on my own sailboat I never considered the catch one can make as a cruiser something of significance. Sometimes you would get up after a night of watch and there would be a Dorado on the hand line, other times a big tuna. Random draw in the deep blue.

The people I am close to know that my fishing experiences for the past few months have been one dry spell after another. Watching Yellowtail swim right under my boat was never quite the goal I had in mind, more a byproduct of the effort. It has happened on several occasions recently, causing myself and my teachers no shortage of frustration.
Recently I was out on “the midnight run” when I had several good bait, the kid was telling me exactly where the fish were, and yet I just couldn’t make the connection. I reached a point where I lost my friend, Kevin in the dark and was just getting tired of the whole affair, when, to cap things off, Darkhorse boats a fish right in front of me.
He was with another client, a willing victim learning all that the great Darkhorse has to share on this particular subject, and there is no shortage of information, believe me. I have been that client more than a few times.

Having called it a night and headed for the beach a friend came across in the darkness. I don’t know his name, but he knew me and knew also that stopping now was a very bad idea indeed. I took this bit of counseling, regrouped, and determined that catching was tonights sport, not fishing. Thank you, whomever you were.

Shortly after that I dropped down a baited iron and was on in about 5 seconds. Fought this fish for 15 minutes, careful not to put too much pressure on anything, that the situation would turn awry.

Having boated this magnificent fish and completely focused now it was time to drop again. The boated fish was still squirming and not secured, but, why not compound the problem? Here we go again!!!!
Tonight was to be a 2 seabass night for me, not monsters, but 40 plus anyhow… rewarding, exciting, fill in the blank here………

Its been a few days now and the word is out to anyone with a pulse so its not like Im giving away secrets. This morning I launched at 0500 with the goal of catching Yellowtail. One of my mentors has always said” believing in yourself is 50 percent of the battle”.

Made bait in the right spot, made a few new friends too. I am often left to pause at how small but dynamic our kayak community is. People from every walk of life sharing a love of the ocean and fish.

There was a substantial crowd of boats, and yakkers, I made the decision to fish on the perimeter of the crowd. Several of the boats were running generators, and fish don’t like noise, right?

Drop and in 30 seconds Im on. It was clear that this fish was no WSB and had no intention of becoming tonights sushi. After about 15 minutes the discussion was settled and we are on the boat. Those who know me know that I run for the barn after a good catch so as to preserve the meat in its best condition, having just taken a life. It must be respected.>

This fish also was no monster, but a trophy for me indeed. She taped out at 42 inches and 30 lbs almost exactly. A personal best for me.

My point is to the new guy, or the frustrated angler. Every trip is an opportunity to try something new, and perserverance is key. Im no bass fisherman. Its about big game for me. My hat is off to the bass fisherman, but I would happily go 6 skunks for one good shot at a trophy fish. Sometimes that 6 has turned into 12 skunks. Its all about your own personal pain threshold

Tight lines……….

Chris
Attached Images

Last edited by Hypoxic1; 06-20-2011 at 08:55 AM. Reason: photos
Hypoxic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:51 PM   #2
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

Congrats Chris Good thing you got on it while it lasted. Yellow looks awesome all lit up!
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:57 PM   #3
Regor
Greg

WSB #1
WSB #2
YT #1

Wow Chris, you must feel stoked to get that encouragement and keep on chugging for that pair of bass ! Not to mention one FULL frig
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:00 PM   #4
yani

Wow, Chris, that's one inspirational fish tale!
Old 06-19-2011, 07:12 PM   #5
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
I guess it goes to show patience is a virtue.
I hope I have it/enough.
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:13 PM   #6
roadx

Quote:
perserverance is key

very nice! way to hang in there! it's tuff, i know
Old 06-19-2011, 07:15 PM   #7
Whizz Bang

Well done brother. Nice fish.

The missus don't seem to mind us fishing so long as we catch, funny how that works.
Whizz Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:22 PM   #8
theluckypig

theluckypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:09 PM   #9
Dennis

Beautiful yellow on the beach, Chris. Personnal best makes it even better (but we all know you'll pass that soon). Like I said, "Let me know if you want to get rid of your reel". Congrats..
Old 06-19-2011, 08:23 PM   #10
lterrero
Leo

Cheveree..! that is nice! in Venezuelan Spanish
lterrero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:43 PM   #11
bigbarrels

Nice, saw you at the launch, making bait, and rapidly heading in without sunglasses on with that nice YT on the back of the YAk as I was heading out......congrats!

My highlight was grabbing a BSB that a private boat lost a hold on that was belly up, and 15 feet off their stern.... grabbbed it by the mouth and peddled with it along side the yak until it was good to go....their catch and my release.......
Old 06-19-2011, 08:53 PM   #12
FishinReelDeals

Very very nice!!! Hoping I get me some of that action on Tuesday!
FishinReelDeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:55 PM   #13
StinkyMatt

When I saw Chris landing with his YT I said: "Wipe that grin of your face!" That guy was ALLLL smiles.

Congratulations on the very nice YT.

Matt
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:06 PM   #14
ful-rac
Emperor

Beautiful fish! Congratulations thanks for the report!
ful-rac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:14 PM   #15
Fiskadoro

Three!!! Sounds like a hell of a day.

Good for you... Nice Yellow! congrats on that one.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:27 PM   #16
Boneshaker21
Junior

Congrats on the great catches! I hope I can get either of those tomorrow =)
Boneshaker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:50 PM   #17
swank

Some well deserved fish, Congratulations on the new PB's!
Old 06-20-2011, 01:59 AM   #18
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Yep, patience is a virtue and perseverance has it's own rewards.
FFY.
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:28 AM   #19
467echo
Rookie of the Month Club

Nice fish Chris, 2 WSB & a PB YT. I'd say it was a good week!
Old 06-20-2011, 08:03 AM   #20
Reel Anxious
Flippin' Photographer

Beautiful Chris, you look like a proud father with that YT