Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2013, 10:46 PM   #1
momo fish

Smile 1st time out !!

Went out for first time fishing on my Malibu stealth kayak in Malibu and boy was it fun!!

After finally buying a stealth from Andy, and had plumbing installed, wanted to go out and fish local... Met a cool guy (Sean) who lived nearby and fished the local waters often. After making plans to fish sunday morning at county line I prepped for the trip and barely slept 2 hours (sorry ben made plans for morning fishing before the hours changed for huneme trip).

Sean picked me up from my house and loaded kayak into his pickup. We get to launch area and no one there yet at 6am.. Little wind and foggy but still nice with some small waves.. After a pep talk I prepare my first ever beach launch.. Sean makes in past the breaks and I am following him about 10 feet behind... Guess that 10 feet made a difference for me cause after making it past first wave, the 2nd wave was big enough to knock me off regardless how hard I tried to push and paddle through.. So back at the beach, watching Sean encouraging me to get back.. I then try to time the waves and after 10 minutes sean came back to help (really cool guy). 2nd time out I made it and Sean made it out as well... Although I flipped the kayak and was soaked, nothing was going to stop me from heading out.. Glad I flipped to get over that fear..

As for the fishing, no complaints at all... I had squid for bait and swimbaits.. I used squid and we got rockfish.. I used a white swimbait and kept getting some fat calico's.. Ended up with 3 really big ones.. Sean had some rockfish and a lingcod..was getting plenty of bites and I hooked on something big but lost it as I was using a small spinner with light line and was getting tired pulling on what seemed to be dead weight (maybe ray).. Plenty of bait and squid metered by sean and a fellow kayaker came and offered us info on squid as he was loading up on... Fished by the gentlemen which was nice given we got to spots in 20 minutes

can't figure out how to post pics on a tablet, but will once my 6 year old shows me.. Btw, read the landings out here were limiting on white seabass..I wonder if we missed the bite by a day but will try again next weekend...

Last edited by momo fish; 04-30-2013 at 06:25 AM.
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:57 PM   #2
steveooo

Awesome report! I like that you knew flipping was part of the game, but you still caught a few quality after the fact
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:10 PM   #3
tacklebox
I got gas!

Awesome report. Where were you fishing? San Diego? cant wait to see the pics.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:28 AM   #4
momo fish

we fished malibu in a area called deep hole by county line (ventura/malibu). So much life, birds, etc in and outside the water... Can't wait for late may when seabass start up..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacklebox View Post
Awesome report. Where were you fishing? San Diego? cant wait to see the pics.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:45 AM   #5
gear junkie

Great report and happy to hear how well you did. You missed nothing with me haha
gear junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:09 PM   #6
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

very nice going out there. the first launch is always the hardest. PLUS it was a surf launch which means it's even more difficult. getting a flip out of the way is a great thing to do. i got mine out of the way on my first try too, and i havent flipped since then.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:46 PM   #7
Lit-up1

Way to stick it out and punch through -
next time
Old 04-30-2013, 05:59 PM   #8
momo fish

thanks.. It sure humbles you. Did make it past first wave, just needed to paddle harder to get past 2nd.

besides LJ, this area seems pretty good.. Glad I'm local.. Anyone else want to go out in future let me know..

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentek9 View Post
very nice going out there. the first launch is always the hardest. PLUS it was a surf launch which means it's even more difficult. getting a flip out of the way is a great thing to do. i got mine out of the way on my first try too, and i havent flipped since then.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:26 PM   #9
Bigfishhunter96

I believe the sea bass bite is at the west end of Santa Cruz island. I was just out on a boat on Sunday and we metered tons of fish and they expected them to bite within a couple days.
Bigfishhunter96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:45 PM   #10
radastaff

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo fish View Post
Plenty of bait and squid metered by sean and a fellow kayaker came and offered us info on squid as he was loading up on.....

that was me aye

good going on the determination after a rough start
no matter how many times I launch
I always feel that same adrenalin rush

sunday was tougher than sat fishing wize
and the current got sumthin wicked later in the afternoon
but less windy than sat
and a good time as always
pulled a toad calico on sat and double legal lings
radastaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:25 PM   #11
StinkyMatt

You Malibu guys have it soooo good.

Enjoy the nice calicos and lings......some day ( not anytime soon) the stupid Wsb will be there and screw everything up.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:54 AM   #12
momo fish

cool!! Was hoping to run into you again.. You were awesome for coming over and offering squid and info.. Very cool guy.. I was the one in blue vest.. Pm me your info if your going out again.. We may be going to refugio out by SB this sunday..

Quote:
Originally Posted by radastaff View Post
that was me aye

good going on the determination after a rough start
no matter how many times I launch
I always feel that same adrenalin rush

sunday was tougher than sat fishing wize
and the current got sumthin wicked later in the afternoon
but less windy than sat
and a good time as always
pulled a toad calico on sat and double legal lings
Old 05-03-2013, 01:06 AM   #13
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by momo fish View Post
we fished malibu in a area called deep hole by county line (ventura/malibu). So much life, birds, etc in and outside the water... Can't wait for late may when seabass start up..
Can't wait to pick up my kayak (STILL!!!...ANDY Says it's in the back collecting dust) just have to take enough medication to last through Saturday or spend the night (Motel 6 or something) then fish the FEDERAL BREAKWATER ON SUNDAY! Since Santa Monica & Malibu Sportfishing closed I've totally forgotten about the "Deep Hole", memories of the days when even the 3/4 boats from San Pedro would make the run if it had been good for a couple days.
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote