Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2013, 10:57 PM   #1
dbarnett66
Danodog

Fred Hall: Deals on Gear?

I have exhausted my budget from the sale of my woodworking tools to buy my kayak and most of the accessories. I am still recovering from the Christmas hangover and won't have money to spend on waders, rods, tackle, etc.

I plan on buying a VHF radio and some other minor kayak accessories through OEX, but the rest of the fishing gear will most likely come from tackle shops. I purchased 3 Sealine Series 50H reels for $15 bucks each and I am currently rebuilding them from the ground up to work like new. I almost picked up 2 "Pro-Sabre" rods today at Big 5 on sale.....but those voices from the forums kept telling me to leave them on the rack and buy used quality rods.

So here comes the question. I think I can save $150 cash for two rods by March when the Fred Hall show comes along. Can I buy two rods that are better quality than the cheap stuff from Big 5 at the show? I am hesitant to buy used since the only rod I ever bought used a few years ago broke the first time I caught a fish with it.

I just have to build my kayak cart and get some waders and I should be ready for the maiden voyage. I will fish the local lakes until I can spend the money on the salt water rods.

Thanks in advance.

Danodog
dbarnett66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:25 PM   #2
Drake

Talk to John (Fishaholic) he can certainly get you in a pair of used rods well within your price range.

You don't need waders. I only bought my first pair 3 weeks ago because the sur was up. Look at every one of my videos, I always wear my pants That's right, fish don't care what you're wearing. Buy a set of Grudens Gage foul weather splash pants for $35 and those will get you by just fine. I still prefer my paddle pants over waders. Pick up a pair of used... (yeah I know it's gross) USED dive or surf booties for $15.
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/spo/3574097648.html
New waders at Sports Chalet are $89 and are decent quality.

Here's a rod that will do the trick for $40
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/spo/3525394232.html
It's nothing special but it will put a quality fish in your boat. I've seen it

Here's a good kelp bouncer for calico/sheeps or rock fishing.
Take it in the bay and look for Halibut
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/spo/3565019750.html $60
Put this on it http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/spo/3524330810.html

Or hell, buy this whole lot for $65
Squidco charges $8-$12 to fix a broken guide. You could probably make a few bucks on this deal if you fix and flip. You've got two halfway decent fishing poles and a deicated bait making rig with one of those spinners
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/spo/3552219944.html

The deals are out there you just need to find them

I suggest not saving up then spending every penny on a rod or two without some spare change. Things happen. Kayaks roll, rods go overboard....you want to keep enough scratch around incase you lose on. That way you don't have anytime off the water. Plus since you're starting out, use the cheap stuff and get the feel for it. Work your way up. We see people go out in LJ for the first time with trout rods. We don't point and laugh because most of us were all there once....
yup, even me... 18 months ago

Grudens Gage Pants

Last edited by Drake; 01-26-2013 at 11:34 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:47 PM   #3
dbarnett66
Danodog

Thanks Drake. I had no idea about the Gruden's pants. They make my size and they are cheaper than waders. I will keep my eye open on CL for some deals. I did text John once. I guess I can try again after I get paid on the first.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:53 AM   #4
maui jim

By the time you pay for entry, beer,high priced jerkey, you reall dont get much a bargin at the FH shows, unless your buying some real big ticket item, its great to check out all the new wish list stuff...fo sure., check out this site and CL, youll find what uou need.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:14 AM   #5
sdfishin..alex
Banned

big 5 rods

i have the big 5 sabre rods they do the trick and are a good price...i have the 7' 15-40# ive caught most of m yellows on them and a 40+ pound hali...IMHO you cant beat the price...here some pics for proof..the rod has the avet it is in the rod holder in the second pic

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/a...1&d=1342580886

Last edited by sdfishin..alex; 01-27-2013 at 08:36 AM.
sdfishin..alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:20 AM   #6
Siebler

Dan,

Let me look at what I have at home in used stuff. My buddy is currently in the middle east and while he is gone his wife moved to Ohio. When they return they are going to Idaho so he left all his gear with me to sell for him since it wont be needed there. Its quality stuff and he takes good care of his gear.

Ill look through it and send you a PM before I post it all.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:30 AM   #7
slobslayer

Like what was said above those big 5 rods will do the trick. They are cheap and easy to replace if you break one in the surf etc. IMO I would take that 150 and buy a higher end reel. Big five sells sealine for 119 I believe and you can print a 10% off coupon online. Their return policy is great from my experience. One of my sealines broke somehow while in a rod holder on a boat and they exchanged it for a saltist which was like $80.00 more
slobslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:38 AM   #8
Bigfishhunter96

I have used the big 5 saber and Pacifica rods for the last 10 years and on one rode alone I've caught 1 White Sea bass, 5 yellows and about 15 or 20 tuna and it still works great.
Bigfishhunter96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:40 AM   #9
fongman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Look at every one of my videos, I always wear my pants.
Grudens Gage Pants
Hey Drake,

I can see wearing those pants on a paddle kayak, but on your PA during surf launches, don't you have a problem with water running down your leg and settling at your seat?

btw, thanks for the remote. I can't wait to give it a try on the water.

Go lollipops!
fongman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:09 PM   #10
taggermike

Most of my gear, rods and reels, I bought used. I have calstars and seekers but also pro sabers and a rod that I have no idea what it is. They all kill fish well. And if/when I lose an outfit I won't be broken hearted. Like others said, maybe get a better reel with better drag. This will make greater impact on fighting fish. My only outfit I'm a bit snobby abouts my surface iron set up. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:41 PM   #11
Wayne_R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
. We see people go out in LJ for the first time with trout rods. We don't point and laugh because most of us were all there once....
yup, even me... 18 months ago
LOL, I'm still there a whole 2 sessions in. Used some crappy rods to pick up a small butt and bass last week at DP. I looked at one rod after, and it was from 1988 and has been sitting in an outdoor closet since the early 90s in Laughlin. It was well cooked

I figure once they break/stop working, I'll upgrade.

Oh and x2 on the pants..I got some wet/dry pants from BPro for $20
Wayne_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:51 PM   #12
Jimmyz123

I go to the show mostly to see the people I know and see the seminars that are held. Stop by Jim Sammons' booths and get some tips from him, see the OEX guys, Unibutter crew, I usually check out the Turner's booth because they often have some deals on Ocean rods. 3 years ago I bought 2 rods for $20 each, and they have never had any issues. Don't let the price of the rods fool you, Big 5 sells some good stuff and I too have a couple of their rods. Trick is getting a good reel that is sound.

The Fred Hall Show has a lot to offer everyone, but you have to spend time at each booth rubbing elbows, listen, and look for the deals. I leave there every year with tons of deals that most don't look for. Back when the shows first started it was like going to a fishing swap meat but now it's more big name sellers. Still, the deals are there if you look, and some of the places keep the prices low for a couple weeks following the shows, so if you miss something you can check it out at the store.

The $150 could go a long way at that show. I hear the Long Beach show is better than Del Mar, but I would rather support the guys who are here locally for the show. If you have never been to the show I recommend going and planning it around some of the seminars.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:55 PM   #13
dbarnett66
Danodog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siebler View Post
Dan,

Let me look at what I have at home in used stuff. My buddy is currently in the middle east and while he is gone his wife moved to Ohio. When they return they are going to Idaho so he left all his gear with me to sell for him since it wont be needed there. Its quality stuff and he takes good care of his gear.

Ill look through it and send you a PM before I post it all.
Thanks CJ. I trust you and the others on this board and I have only met you and Slobslayer. Looking forward to the PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:59 PM   #14
dbarnett66
Danodog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdfishin..alex View Post
i have the big 5 sabre rods they do the trick and are a good price...i have the 7' 15-40# ive caught most of m yellows on them and a 40+ pound hali...IMHO you cant beat the price...here some pics for proof..the rod has the avet it is in the rod holder in the second pic

You make a very strong argument for the Big 5 Sabres. Too bad they went off sale yesterday. I may have to wait until they come up again.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:59 AM   #15
madncrzydm

My wife wirks at big 5 and I buy alot of my fishing stuff fron there and I had a really old rod theybused to sell and the ceiling fan ate it and intook it in to a diff big 5 and theynreplaces it no questions asked and I own one of the sabre rods and I love it no problem s whatsoever.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:02 AM   #16
madncrzydm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnett66 View Post
You make a very strong argument for the Big 5 Sabres. Too bad they went off sale yesterday. I may have to wait until they come up again.
Just tell them that you didnt realize they went off sale and they will give you the sale price like I said my wife works at big 5. I know all their lil secrets haha.