Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2011, 06:20 PM   #1
jerr-dog

Cabrillo Beach San Pedro, CA 08-06-11

Hey everyone had a blast at Cabrillo Beach yesterday on the kayak & thought I would do a quick report. Again no pics but I dont think my old Nikon 5200 is waterproof Anyway went with a friend & got on the water by 7am no wind water semi clear we stuck within the HUGE break wall they have there & were off to the San Pedro Bait Co to get some live bait for my buddie. I brought some grunion for bait that I caught a week prior at the beach. He got some anchovies & sardines with what they call a kayak scoop for 10 bucks & it's alot of bait if you compare it to the 4-5 bucks a pound of the frozen stuff that they sell off the pier. So we are out there till 3:30pm so had no concept of what time everything took place but Tom caught 2 sand bass. When the current start to pick up & the wind begain to drift us out almost immediately after I dropped my line & dont know if I got bit on the downfall or if it hit the bottom or landed on butt but Zoom. Brought it in rather quick but I was very pleased to see my first Halibut! got it on the yak but dont have a hatch to put my catch in. Was legal it had to be 24-25 inches at least but wanted to make sure. Didn't even think about my net cause I was sooo excited. Poped the hatch on my buddies Hobie went to grab the fish by the line & as I looked over Tom was in the process of removing the hook from it's mouth I don't know why cause I hadn't measured it yet. Wanted to have the hatch ready well needless to say before I could measure the beast off came the hook flop, flop went the fish & over the side Man my first butt & didn't even get a chance to measure it let alone keep it. also caught another fish off a grunion but wasn't able to Id it released. On the way back in we were working against the current must have taken an hour at least to get back to the shore. buddie got another halibut on the way back in & it was 34 inches. He was able to take a pic from his camera once we got back in but can't figure out how to transfer the pick from my phone to my computer. If I fig it out hopefully I can edit this & add the pic in. Anyway had a great time & have ALOT of leftover bait (not live anymore ) from Tom that I froze & will have for some time. none of that will go to waste. Thanks for your time & enjoy the rest of your evening.
Jerr-dog
1 Halibut (Got Away but landed it)
1 ? unable to I.D
Tom
2 Sand Bass
1 Halibut

Last edited by jerr-dog; 08-07-2011 at 10:55 PM.
jerr-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:46 PM   #2
GregAndrew

Hope you did not lose a bet to the 34inch Halibut, cause I handed it over to him lol. I was trying to run you down, but when he stopped paddling, he was easier to reach. And against the wind the whole way, starting about a 1/4 mile behind you guys it was a tough run. Great place to fish live bait. Not only will they give you as much as you want, but you can go back for more if you ever run out. If you need pics, I got it on video .
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:49 PM   #3
CobraTandem

Way to go Jerr-dog. You better learn how to post those pix as I bet your gonna have many more to share.
CobraTandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:07 PM   #4
Amish Ed

WTG on the first butt in the yak. Too bad it fled.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:27 PM   #5
steveooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
Hope you did not lose a bet to the 34inch Halibut, cause I handed it over to him lol..
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:49 PM   #6
theluckypig

that greg... he handed me a 34" too...
theluckypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:57 PM   #7
jorluivil

I was out there today, kept a 25" which we just had for dinner and released two shorts and a 23'er. They were on the chew today, caught them in areas ranging from the ship channel to the area near the bait barge.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:53 PM   #8
jerr-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
Hope you did not lose a bet to the 34inch Halibut, cause I handed it over to him lol. I was trying to run you down, but when he stopped paddling, he was easier to reach. And against the wind the whole way, starting about a 1/4 mile behind you guys it was a tough run. Great place to fish live bait. Not only will they give you as much as you want, but you can go back for more if you ever run out. If you need pics, I got it on video .
Hey Greg how is it going? I met you at the bait place. I liked your kayak. I want to get mine decked out too. I saw the two of you talking back there but you mean to tell me he didn't catch that? You gave the fish to him? I'm confused now cause he came to shore & said he caught it. I wish you had caught up to me lol I was trying to get back on shore. My arms were getting sore. What time did you end up leaving Greg? And if you can clear up the confusion for me
jerr-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:55 PM   #9
Caden
Homeless will fish 4 food

just fish hard

good post bro even dont land the fish that y we call
Caden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:34 PM   #10
GregAndrew

I only fished a couple hours more after you guys left. Yep I really gave him the fish. Tell him he owes you some filets. I actually forgot to turn my GoPro off, so I was still filming from the catch to the rundown lol. I would have caught you if I had pulled the fish out of the water for the chase, Sorry.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:36 PM   #11
Hypoxic1

Nice tale

You might try e mailing it from the phone to the computer. Thats how I have downloaded all of my cam phone pics
Thanks for the cool story
Hypoxic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:46 PM   #12
mtnbykr2

congrats on the butts, I gotta get back out there, Hey Greg let me know the next time you guys are goin out I had a good time last time we went,
the time you got your favorite photo, I have that picture...I have not one halibut to my name this year, in fact I have been very light on everything, we have been working the north end, lots of fun calies but no butts...
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote